• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I have made it a practice to make dummy loads for practice trigger form on revolvers. I load the shell with sand to the grain level I load powder. Then install the projectile and fill the primer pockets with a hard hot melt glue. This saves on the hard hit to the firing pin and prevents damage during dry firing.

They have helped me get use to trigger pull and the heavy weight of my BFR .500 S&W magnum. Providing more of a true firing weight during trigger pull of the revolver.

Last edited:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Pretty cool.

I can’t help but wonder how close is the weight of the melt glue to that of a primer?

Edit: something tells me you make your own loading blocks too - darn nice! (Much nicer than my stab at same thing only for MEC shot-shell reloaded powder bushings!)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I hear movie sets put 2 BBs in them so when you shake it you hear the BBS and you know its a dummy.
    I"ve seen people fill with a certain kind of silicone glue also.

But not all movie sets seem to check the BBs :( Ask Alec about that.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Pretty cool.

I can’t help but wonder how close is the weight of the melt glue to that of a primer?

Edit: something tells me you make your own loading blocks too - darn nice! (Much nicer than my stab at same thing only for MEC shot-shell reloaded powder bushings!)

can't say however, when I weigh my loaded shells and compare them to my dummy shells the dummy shells weigh .01 grains less than the loaded shells. So, whatever it is it is negligible.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I hear movie sets put 2 BBs in them so when you shake it you hear the BBS and you know its a dummy.
    I"ve seen people fill with a certain kind of silicone glue also.

But not all movie sets seem to check the BBs :( Ask Alec about that.

I have used silicone in the past and found it is too soft. The hot melt is harder and gives the pin something to hit.

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    I take a hint from the military and drill a hole in the side wall of the case. No, it doesn't weigh exactly the same as a live round, but it is obviously a dummy and if you can tell a few grains difference, you are better than me.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I take a hint from the military and drill a hole in the side wall of the case. No, it doesn't weigh exactly the same as a live round, but it is obviously a dummy and if you can tell a few grains difference, you are better than me.

:thumbsup:
    Can't remember where I got them, but have a enbloc of 30-06 garand rounds, with the holes in the sidewalls, and they're nickel, so they really stand apart from all my live rounds with brass casings.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    We have a bunch of commercially made training/dummy rounds available in 9mm, .38/.357, 223/5.56, .308 and 12ga if anybody needs some. Pack of 5 per caliber $10.00

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you are going to do dummy rounds for semi auto and to run them through, you need to put a piece of dowel or similar in the case to prevent the bullet from being shoved into the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom