• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I agree with buy stripped lowers, maybe get the LPK with Trigger and build later. Wait for deals/sales on assembled uppers. upgrade trigger later if you are on a budget.
    you can get a rear peep for a flat top upper with FSB and put optics on later if you like also.
    I've have delt with , have and helped friends with Delton as a budget upper or budget complete rifle.
    I"ve been hot/cold w/ Radical uppers, with the worse performance barrel being from about 5 years ago and a pretty decent stainless one just last year.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At the moment, $1000 is the new $700 , subject to change in a heartbeat with the next round of buying frenzy .

Option 1 - Buy whatever you locate at price you can currently afford , and suspend disbelief .

Option 2 - Invoke the Spirit of Clandestine ( Chad) , and invest in a plethora of gages and tooling .

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Complete Maryland compliant ARs are available on Gunbroker from a shop in Va. He has 2 versions at $600 and $650 and ~30 available.

He also has a bunch of police trade-in Colt 6721s that are Md compliant.

I have no personal experience with the seller/shop but they have an A+ Gunbroker rating with 5600 feedbacks.

Seller is Southern Tactical1

Good luck....

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Don't even look at SGN , internet searches , etc , you'll just frustrate yourself . Most nationally advertised AR's sold in high volume are the " Free America Compliant " versions .

Either shop from Md based LGS , or search by SKU for specific MD Complaint versions . It sucks , but it is what it is .

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    In this market QC isn't good all around. Even "quality" manufacturers are having issues.

My favorite rifle was assembled for under $500. However, it was fully gauged and inspected. So it's possible to get reliability for a decent price. It's just a tough market right now and you have to have access to the right tools, gauges and knowledge.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    If you are looking for a stripped lower, get on the AIM Surplus mailing list. They have poverty pony lowers in stock from time to time for $45 each.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Ask yourself what do you plan on doing with the rifle? No one on any of the internet gun forums is going to war with their rifle, whether a budget build or boutique model. I get buying a quality product if you can afford it, but be realistic about your need and what you intend to do with it.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Ask yourself what do you plan on doing with the rifle? No one on any of the internet gun forums is going to war with their rifle, whether a budget build or boutique model. I get buying a quality product if you can afford it, but be realistic about your need and what you intend to do with it.

Exactly, if there is a war we'll take it out off the national guard armory. And forget about AR15...that is a small thing, you have to know how to operate other big stuff.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD

Plenty of other reasons why you want quality. Reliability for home defense and not wanting it to blow up in your face are two good reasons.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Buy a bunch of aero m4e1 lowers and build them later with quality parts

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Buy two lower receivers and some magazines. You have plenty of years to go before you will have to worry about buying the rest of the parts.

Congratulations on the twins and may God have mercy on you. You have a lot of no sleep nights ahead of you for a while. My twins are almost 2 years old and they have only both started sleeping through then night in the last month or two. I hope yours are better sleepers than mine are.

This...buy lowers and mags....and good luck with twins!

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    One I built. ARFCOM has tons of threads dealing with donated parts, used parts an sub $300 AR's. Still can be done. But ammo will cost more then the rifle.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    For example, Palmetto has a $800 16” 300AAC Blackout would you trust it?

Normally I'd say shoot it a couple 100 times and if you have no issues, then yes I would trust it. These days I don't have the money to burn that much ammo testing something new.

The name on the side of it is somewhat irrelevant. It is either reliable or it is not reliable. For an upper, I'd make sure to get a quality BCG, but otherwise it is going to be very obvious if there are issues or not. We aren't talking the most accurate rifle here, just one that is reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom