• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    Hey guys, been waxing nostalgic about my ol' GI Joe and plastic army man days and I've got an extra lower here - was thinking about the possibility of an M16-looking build. Fixed stock, carry-handle upper, throwback handguard, etc. Obviously it'd have to be an HBAR. I dunno - seems kinda silly on one hand but I feel like I wanna give it a try anyway.

Anyone here done a build like this before? Some inspiration pix would be nice, or info on parts choice. Thanks! :thumbsup:

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    There is a Colt Model 606 rifle that is 'correct' with an HBAR(I should say a replica would be correct with an HBAR). Checkout the retroblackrifle.com model guide.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    question

I built one last summer using the Brownells furniture. Turned out pretty good. Ive had some jealous peeps want to fondle it at the range.

Lower pre 2013? I mean for a pencil barrel or did you use a post 2013 with HBAR? What length barrel? 20" I see that Brownell's kit is not expensive at all. Stock, handguard and grip. Nice, sir.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Brownells had a stripped 601 lower for sale today. I think you can build a 601 and 602 with that one. I hope to be able to get a custom heavy barrel and build a 602 replica.

rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    i saw some pretty nice looking m16s at hanover armory if you just want to buy one.

Thanks Miguel, but I really do want to build and use up this lower I've got here. I've been meaning to pop into HA though, I drive right past it when I'm working in the office...but that's rare these days. Their website kinda makes it seem like the place is sold out of everything so good to know they've got stuff in there.

rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    I built one last summer using the Brownells furniture. Turned out pretty good. Ive had some jealous peeps want to fondle it at the range.

Hey Muleskinner, you in MD? Did you do HBAR? I'd love to see a parts list if you're happy with the way it runs. It does look like Brownells has a lot of what I'd need in stock. I was eyeing-up that proto AR they have but I decided I'm not quite as big a fan of that look as of the M16 - prefer the familiar front sight and handle grip to the proto look. At least that's how I feel today.

Thanks!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=240168

This was pre oct 1 2013 lower but the place I got the barrel with FSB also had HBAR at the time.
    I could have purchased a barrel and also sent off for the Kit's FSB put on.

I need to edit pics cause I soaked the lower in bleach to age it and did some scuffing and now the lower looks the age of the upper.
    Here is the HBAR at JSE (when in stock)
    https://www.jsesurplus.com/Del-Ton205.56BarrelHBar1X9MolywithSightTower.aspx

Man, this looks great. Would love to see it after the bleach job. Thanks for the info!

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    That's a nice job. I see in the other thread mentiin of the greenmountian barrels. I bought a greenmountian 1:12 barrel just recently hoping to get it turned into a heavy barrel with a .625 dia. outside of the handguards.

I just hope the 'law' holds out for me to get a retro lower.

rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    Just realized my extra lower, I mean paperweight, is billet - all smooth and sleek ain't gonna look right on this build. Don't know what I was thinking. But now I'm committed and will look to grab an ugly forged paperweight first chance I get.

Lower pre 2013? I mean for a pencil barrel or did you use a post 2013 with HBAR? What length barrel? 20" I see that Brownell's kit is not expensive at all. Stock, handguard and grip. Nice, sir.

No, its Maryland compliant. Its not 100 percent historically accurate..im not sure it can be with Maryland's stupid laws..but close enough for me. I just have always liked the look of an actual M16 so I built one. Didn't put any optic on it..only iron sights..(the stick shift of firearms) im teaching my "optic only" family members how to shoot old school with it.

Miguel

Oct 29, 2020
    Thanks Miguel, but I really do want to build and use up this lower I've got here. I've been meaning to pop into HA though, I drive right past it when I'm working in the office...but that's rare these days. Their website kinda makes it seem like the place is sold out of everything so good to know they've got stuff in there.

i went a week ago and their walls were full. i used their facebook for updates though i dont think they update their site often.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    The look and function is not for everyone but you can use the Proto upper from brownells with a pencil profile barrel and make your own AR/m16 hybrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom