• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hi all!
    Inherited a wall hanger and was hoping someone can help ID it. It's a single shot, probably 32 cal from the barrel width, barrel is 3 1/2 inches long. The barrel pivots out to the side to load. No company names observed. It does have the number 4528 stamped on the grip strap as well as underside of barrel.
    Sorry about the picture quality.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Derringer 1  IMG_20180708_141925435.jpg
      Derringer 1 IMG_20180708_141925435.jpg
      71.6 KB · Views: 295
    • Derringer 2  IMG_20180708_142105590.jpg
      Derringer 2 IMG_20180708_142105590.jpg
      12.7 KB · Views: 272
    • Derringer 3   IMG_20180708_142015666.jpg
      Derringer 3 IMG_20180708_142015666.jpg
      77.5 KB · Views: 288

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    Hi all!
    Inherited a wall hanger and was hoping someone can help ID it. It's a single shot, probably 32 cal from the barrel width, barrel is 3 1/2 inches long. The barrel pivots out to the side to load. No company names observed. It does have the number 4528 stamped on the grip strap as well as underside of barrel.
    Sorry about the picture quality.

Thanks!

Bingo!!! American Arms Company Derringer, 1870's. Click on the pic in the article to zoom!

http://nwiowaoutdoors.com/2014/07/04/american-arms-company-derringers/#prettyPhoto

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    There were about two dozen manufacturers of single shot derringers of that style, including Merwin and Bray, Allen and Wheelock, Morgan and Clapp, etc. Many were patent infringements and were sold under a multitude of trade names or no names at all. My first thought was the same as IH8DemLibz in that is was a Merwin and Bray or a direct infringement of their design. Check the caliber carefully.... you are correct that many of these were made in .32 RF but a fair amount of them were also produced in .30 RF. As hard as it is to get .32 RF ammo anymore, .30 RF is almost unobtainium. If you can find it, it will be on the order or $4-5 per round.

I have a handful of similar derringers and still shoot them from time to time. Just make sure to check out the gun carefully before you do. If the metal looks fatigued, corroded, or thin, just treat it as an artifact of history. Enjoy.

I want to thank everyone for their input here, Doctor M, Aventus, iH8Dem, engineer. You all provided some great info which has allowed me to research the deringer online. I intend to keep this as a family antique so knowing a little history about it is great. I also inherited a Smith and Wesson Model 1 or 1 1/2 from the same era, will post pics of that when I get a chance.
    Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom