What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Was going to start on 500 rounds of 300 AAC subs, but as suspected, the Leatherhead bullets I bought are too wide(.309-.310+) so I've got to find a way to size them. I tried a couple dummy rounds and they failed the Sheridan case gauge. :cool:

What primer are you using for your 300Blk?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What primer are you using for your 300Blk?
    I've used cci #41 in the past but am switching to Rem 7 1/2 bench rest. I've always been taught to use hotter primers on 300 blk subs to achieve more consistent speeds.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    At least when you get to assembly, you have a usuable finished product: "Hey look! I have all this ammo!:party29:"

After a days worth of case prep, you have components:
    "Hey look! I have...empty cases:sad20:"
    Lol!

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I've used cci #41 in the past but am switching to Rem 7 1/2 bench rest. I've always been taught to use hotter primers on 300 blk subs to achieve more consistent speeds.

Shoot. I have plenty of the CCI's. None of the others.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Damn' ya'll some busy beavers today.

Blame it on the Rain I guess.

Does anyone else like to run their fingers through piles of freshly tumbled brass, or am I the only one? When I dump them into a metal bucket, at just the right height and speed, it sort of sounds like I hit the jackpot on a slot machine.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Damn' ya'll some busy beavers today.

Blame it on the Rain I guess.

Does anyone else like to run their fingers through piles of freshly tumbled brass, or am I the only one? When I dump them into a metal bucket, at just the right height and speed, it sort of sounds like I hit the jackpot on a slot machine.

Oh. God. Yes.

tenor.gif

Major03

Ultimate Member

Interesting. I've always used CCI #41 small rifle primers. They haven't given me any issues to date, but I'm always game to try something that might improve things.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Interesting. I've always used CCI #41 small rifle primers. They haven't given me any issues to date, but I'm always game to try something that might improve things.
    #41 are fine. Better than 400s. I believe the thinking behind hotter primers for subs is more efficient powder ignition. Think half full bottle of water lying on its side.

7 1/2 Remington bench rest were recommended by ap1(he loaded all of TomKat's ammo). I'm trying it for the first time myself, though I have shot his ammo too.

storm1969

Jul 30, 2013
    Lets see: Broke the spindle in my RCBS 300blk SB sizing die, so switched to 223. The chamfer blade in my trimmer broke on the 3rd case. Decided rifle case prep hated me....

Switched to reloading 40 and knocked out 100rnds.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge

Okay, what kind of load data do you have for your 300Blk?

I just loaded up a bunch of 220gr SMK with 11.6gr AA1680 with a Winchester small rifle primer. Last round in the mag is jamming going back into battery. I opened up the gas port a click and same problem.

Factory Remington 220gr functions fine in the same rifle, same mag.

Max load for 1680 is 12.0 grains but I don't want to take it that high.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I load 220gr SMK for the 300 with 10.5gr of 1680. It's designed to be a subsonic load, that gives me good accuracy and performance and still comes in just under 1k fps for me in my 10.5" pistol.

I have run them as high as 12, but they got too close to supersonic for my liking, so I backed off to 10.5gr. (oh and a CCI400 primer.. lol)

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I load 220gr SMK for the 300 with 10.5gr of 1680. It's designed to be a subsonic load, that gives me good accuracy and performance and still comes in just under 1k fps for me in my 10.5" pistol.

I have run them as high as 12, but they got too close to supersonic for my liking, so I backed off to 10.5gr. (oh and a CCI400 primer.. lol)

I'm going to try these loads in my SBR and see what happens. I was shooting with a 16in barrel this time, with a suppressor, but all my 300Blk have pistol length gas systems.

I'll try a different magazine too. I'm just frustrated cause I don't reload a lot of rifle ammo and keep wondering if I am missing something.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Okay, what kind of load data do you have for your 300Blk?

I just loaded up a bunch of 220gr SMK with 11.6gr AA1680 with a Winchester small rifle primer. Last round in the mag is jamming going back into battery. I opened up the gas port a click and same problem.

Factory Remington 220gr functions fine in the same rifle, same mag.

Max load for 1680 is 12.0 grains but I don't want to take it that high.

Can't quote data. Sorry. My Standard "accurate" loading is;

10.6gr A 1680(pretty much like sticky's[welcome back]) with a CCI #41 primer.

What gas block(SLR?) are you using? How many clicks? What action spring and buffer weight? What barrel length? Is it suppressed?This all makes a difference.

Pretty sure I know your setup, but it's been a while...

My setup is;

300 AAC 10.5" pistol length gas bbl. Suppressed. SLR adj gas block opened to 6-7 clicks.
    L.C. brass loaded as stated above.

ETA: It could be the primer...

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I'm going to try these loads in my SBR and see what happens. I was shooting with a 16in barrel this time, with a suppressor, but all my 300Blk have pistol length gas systems.

I'll try a different magazine too. I'm just frustrated cause I don't reload a lot of rifle ammo and keep wondering if I am missing something.
    I'd definitely try another mag as well, could be that simple. I had no issues with cycling from 10.5 up to 12.0gr with my pistol. I has a non-adjustable gas block and is presently not suppressed (waiting for the Feds to give me permission to build it.. lol). I am pretty sure my oal was 2.180, don't have all the load data at hand.

and thanks Outrider, been around, just a bit quiet of late. ;)

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge

What gas block(SLR?) are you using? How many clicks? What action spring and buffer weight? What barrel length? Is it suppressed?This all makes a difference.

My setup is;

300 AAC 10.5" pistol length gas bbl. Suppressed. SLR adj gas block opened to 6-7 clicks.

This was a 16in barrel with pistol length gas, SLR gas block, flat wire spring, can't remember the buffer weight. Not sure how many clicks on the adjuster screw. After I got this one back from Chad, I used factory ammo on a freezing cold day to adjust the block.

Like I said, factory works fine, reloads work fine until that last round in the mag. Today I was shooting with the can.

I'll try a couple different mags and the SBR when I get a chance. I'm just frustrated cause I am starting orientation and training at a couple different hospitals and didn't expect to have to play around with this.

Thanks for the info!!

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I'd definitely try another mag as well, could be that simple. I had no issues with cycling from 10.5 up to 12.0gr with my pistol. I has a non-adjustable gas block and is presently not suppressed (waiting for the Feds to give me permission to build it.. lol). I am pretty sure my oal was 2.180, don't have all the load data at hand.

and thanks Outrider, been around, just a bit quiet of late. ;)

I'm gonna try out another couple of mags and the SBR to see what I can come up with.

I appreciate the replies, sometimes bouncing stuff off others helps me work through the issue. I'm never any good working on my stuff, I get frustrated and my brain short circuits.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

My setup is;

I'm using 220gr hornady ELD-X col 2.255"

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Loaded about 200 300b/o. Done for tonight going to try and get the other 300 done before the weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom