• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    This seems to have dried up? I can't find any on the estore at ODCMP, and I can't find a price for commercial outlets... ideas?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Federal makes an equivalent M1 Garand load. Genuine GI surplus is pretty much dried up. Some Greek stuff might still be available but I don't know its quality.

The Federal is pretty expensive by my standards ($25+ a box). Midway and Sportsman's Guide sometimes have PPU and S&B offerings in the $15-18 range, but it's not always in stock. Please don't buy it all! I still see spam cans of HXP at gun shows...but it's gotten expensive, too.:rolleyes:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Graf and sons and SGAmmo often have PPU or S&B M2 .30-06 at around $16 a box. Also Cabela’s carries PPU M2 Ball, but only in 500 round cases. I want to say $400 for a case? Sometimes on sale.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    This is a no brainer, the HXP had a finite number and t's about gone. Maybe there's a hugs stash of corrosive Korean out there to be released some day?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    A1Uniform has a bunch at one point. Might be worth a call. I can’t confirm what they have at this moment

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Load your own. I've got my 155gr Nosler Custom Competition loads down to $0.34 a round and I push my brass to 16x firings.

I might eventually sell off my M2 Ball to buy once-fired military brass (not selling now) since it makes more sense in the long run. The only reason I have my M2 Ball is for making brass anyway.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Load your own. I've got my 155gr Nosler Custom Competition loads down to $0.34 a round and I push my brass to 16x firings.

I might eventually sell off my M2 Ball to buy once-fired military brass (not selling now) since it makes more sense in the long run. The only reason I have my M2 Ball is for making brass anyway.

This is an idea.... I reload for pistol calibers, and I tried 223 without much luck. This on a Dillon 550B. I had better luck with .308 on a single stage press... but, I sold the single stage press.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    This is an idea.... I reload for pistol calibers, and I tried 223 without much luck. This on a Dillon 550B. I had better luck with .308 on a single stage press... but, I sold the single stage press.

Guess you should get a single stage again.

Shooter's Pro Shop has blem and overrun Nosler bullets and they have frequent sales coupons. My last batch of 155s was $193 shipped for 1.2k.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    ...and a case trimmer, dies, etc. .. what's your load for 30-06? ...that emulates M2 ball...

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    ...and a case trimmer, dies, etc. .. what's your load for 30-06? ...that emulates M2 ball...

Don't bother trying to copy M2 Ball. Just load to what's accurate. I shoot 45.5gr of IMR 4064 with the 155gr at 3.225" OAL in my M1. I only trip the brass every five firings or so.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Here's a link to NRA tested data. I can't find the book anymore, but on the net it's posted at Master Po's Temple. That website doesn't load well anymore so use the archive version, copy the data and save it.
    Treat these loads as MAX as there is no need to get the last few fps in a Garand, just work up to a recipe your rifle likes as with any rifle and load.

http://web.archive.org/web/20000620055732/home.att.net/~Masterpo/M1load.htm

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I'll be running this ammo through an M1 and my 1903a3... I take it I'll be full length sizing?

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I'll be running this ammo through an M1 and my 1903a3... I take it I'll be full length sizing?

Yep. Not necessary for the '03, but the Garand might not feed them if you don't. I've never needed a "Small Base Die". YMMV.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

Probably, but you don't need to actually bottom out the sizing die. Back off the sizing die a bit. You only need to size the cases enough so they chamber easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom