• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    All -

I got a question from a very good friend and while I believe his circumstance should be within the law, I'm asking a broader audience as a sanity check.

- He returns from Afghanistan on Tuesday next week.
    - He is a Dept of the Navy, Civilian Employee on TDY to Defense Security Cooperation Agency
    - He is on orders traveling from AFG to Camp Atterbury where hs is to turn in his issued equipment and debrief
    - He arrives @ BWI on a military charter and must claim his luggage
    - He spends the night at a hotel near BWI
    - he boards a delta flight on Wednesday morning to Indianapolis
    - when flying via Delta he will have to declare the pistol to the ticket agent, check the pistol in his checked luggage and open the case for TSA should they ask at the inspection point.

Part of his issued equipment is a 9mm handgun. The handgun and magazine(s) will be in a locked hard case and in his luggage. He will have NO AMMO

Edit to clarify concern: He is quite comfortable with the BWI/TSA part of his journey, but wanted to make sure there was nothing embedded in MD law where he needed to be concerned.

Given 4-203 (b)(ii) I believe he should be ok - but at the risk of suffering from BGOS, thought it better to check than be sorry.

Did I miss anything? Thanks in advance ---

----------
    Maryland Criminal Law Section 4-203

Article - Criminal Law

§ 4-203.
    (a) (1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:

(i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;

(ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;

(iii) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph while on public school property in the State; or

(iv) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph with the deliberate purpose of injuring or killing another person.

(2) There is a rebuttable presumption that a person who transports a handgun under paragraph (1)(ii) of this subsection transports the handgun knowingly.

(b) This section does not prohibit:

(1) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person who is on active assignment engaged in law enforcement, is authorized at the time and under the circumstances to wear, carry, or transport the handgun as part of the person's official equipment, and is:

(i) a law enforcement official of the United States, the State, or a county or city of the State;

(ii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or of the National Guard on duty or traveling to or from duty;

Last edited:

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    It’s just like checking in a firearm at any other airport. Should be fine.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    It’s just like checking in a firearm at any other airport. Should be fine.

thx - in re-reading the OP and then your response, I realized my concern wasn't clear. Checking the pistol in on the delta flight wasn't the concern - legally transporting the pistol from BWI to the hotel and back the next morning was.

shame this has to be such a sticky wicket (although admittedly, I'm likely more concerned about this than needed)...

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    thx - in re-reading the OP and then your response, I realized my concern wasn't clear. Checking the pistol in on the delta flight wasn't the concern - legally transporting the pistol from BWI to the hotel and back the next morning was.

shame this has to be such a sticky wicket (although admittedly, I'm likely more concerned about this than needed)...

I don't know the answer, but it's big BS that he even has to worry about this given his service.

I'm sure others will respond with helpful advice.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Gone thru BWI with weapons and loaded mags (the big scary ones that hold more than 10 rounds) . Only "issue" was my return flight TSA carried the case to the curb (departures mind you) and told me to have my ride pick me up there

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I check guns at BWI all the time. never had a problem. honestly don't think they check anything except that the firearm is secure per TSA and airline standards. the only time I've ever heard of LEO being called was in Chicago (or D.C.)I think...when handguns were essentially illegal.

As far as transport...they can't tell you you can't take your handgun anywhere lol

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Your concern is from airport to hotel and back? Keep it in the case and you’re perfectly ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    I don't know the answer, but it's big BS that he even has to worry about this given his service.

I'm sure others will respond with helpful advice.

Well Hank Johnson just ranted the other day about how military members are trained to kill and are mentally ill, so........

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Well Hank Johnson just ranted the other day about how military members are trained to kill and are mentally ill, so........

Lol. Hank Johnson is one of the stupidest human beings on the planet. (If course that tells you all you need to know about the people that voted for him)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    (ii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or of the National Guard on duty or traveling to or from duty;

Lots of people here are misunderstanding your question.

I'm not 100% sure whether the above exception applies to civilian contractors. Your buddy won't have any issues claiming his luggage at BWI, nor will he have any issues checking it back in the next day. The only risk is a LEO interaction on his short layover outside the airport. I'm also not sure you'll be able to get a definitive answer, and you certainly won't get anything binding in writing from MSP unless someone way up the chain of command sends them a formal request.

It's a gray area. Low likelihood of trouble though. He should just mind his traffic laws, keep his eyes open and his mouth shut while he's spending his night in the hotel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom