• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    After almost 150 days I emailed Lt Hall this morning to inquire about my application. He told me I had to take the 16 hour training course and 2 hours of range time.

So much for using your more than 2 years old DD214 and prior military service as an exemption from the training requirement.

Lt. Hall says all training used to request the training exemption must have been taken in the past two years.

Last edited:

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    That Sucks!

After almost 150 days I emailed Lt Hall this morning to inquire about my application. He told me I had to take the 16 hour training course and 2 hours of range time.

So much for using your DD214 and prior military service as an exemption from the training requirement.

Lt. Hall says all training used to request the training exemption must have been taken in the past two years.

There is absolutely no reason why they could not have informed you of that MONTHS ago. I just passed my 95 day mark. Having read your post, I called to make sure that they received by training certificate, so that they don't tell me after 150 friggin' days that they did not have some document.

Unbelievable. I thought the days of this Marion Barry era bullsh!+ in DC were over.

Must be demoralizing, but hang in there.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It’s part of the culture of DC Govt. IMO. Do the minimum, not the maximum. In Lt. Hall’s defense, he did thank me for my service and apologized my service could not count for training.

At least now we know the policy

ETA I’m not spending any more time or money on this endeavor. I took the law class twice to comply.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    There is absolutely no reason why they could not have informed you of that MONTHS ago. I just passed my 95 day mark. Having read your post, I called to make sure that they received by training certificate, so that they don't tell me after 150 friggin' days that they did not have some document.

Unbelievable. I thought the days of this Marion Barry era bullsh!+ in DC were over.

Must be demoralizing, but hang in there.

Yes, as in when applying. I have to believe they get jollies stringing people out, to deny them soup.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think they stick all your stuff in s folder and only deal with it when your folder gets to the top of the pile. No one looks st it when you apply

Just my guess

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think they stick all your stuff in a older and only deal with it when your folder gets to the top of the pile. No one looks st it when you apply

Just my guess

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

So much for using your more than 2 years old DD214 and prior military service as an exemption from the training requirement.

So in essence, the training exemption doesn't exist. It's 16 hours plus law section within 2 years.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No he said if you had a DD214 that you received in the 2 years previous to your application, it would be accepted.

Great. I wish their application stated that up front. it would have save a lot of time, money and frustration.

But it's DC.

In his defense, he was polite and deferential about my service.

I asked why my DD214 was not accepted because the regs say it can be used for the training exemption.

His reply to me:

Not in all cases. We require training within the last two years. If your DD214 is from years ago it alone will not be enough. However, a DD214 with a combination of some current training may qualify. A DD214 in most cases within the last 2 years will also qualify.

I want to make sure you do know that we deeply appreciate your military service, even if a training waiver was not granted. Thank you.

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    They are counting workdays, not calendar days.

I was informed that they only count work days in the 90 days’ period. Weekends and holidays are not counted.
    I don’t recall seeing anything about that. I think they are making stuff up as they go along.

I don’t quite believe them, but they said I should receive something in the mail in about 3 weeks. That would be about day 120. We shall see.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I was informed that they only count work days in the 90 days’ period. Weekends and holidays are not counted.
    I don’t recall seeing anything about that. I think they are making stuff up as they go along.

I don’t quite believe them, but they said I should receive something in the mail in about 3 weeks. That would be about day 120. We shall see.

Taking cues from the MSP. I loved it when the MSP app started saying "90 BUISNESS days."

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Nothing in either MD or DC law says 90 business days.

More made up crap from our civil servants.

Lt. Hall said my app was approved on the 6th of March. I still have not received anything. It doe not take more than a week for a letter to go from DC to MD.

Or maybe it does.

Last edited:

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Got my provisional in the mail today, 156 days after applying.

Now I have to complete the following within 45 days:
    - 16 hours of MPD certified firearms training
    - 2 hours range training from an MPD certified trainer
    - DC laws on firearms and self defense from an MPD certified trainer

There is a list of trainers provided, and I think some are members on this site. Anyone that has recommendations or a schedule of available training can send me a PM.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    Got my provisional in the mail today, 156 days after applying.

Now I have to complete the following within 45 days:
    - 16 hours of MPD certified firearms training
    - 2 hours range training from an MPD certified trainer
    - DC laws on firearms and self defense from an MPD certified trainer

There is a list of trainers provided, and I think some are members on this site. Anyone that has recommendations or a schedule of available training can send me a PM.
    Once you get these things done, go back up there and I had my permit in hand after 20 min sitting in there office. Make sure you leave with a registration card for whatever firearm you carry. You have to provide BOTH permits to be legal while carrying. Ive had mine for almost a month now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom