• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    well using the previous logic, there is no penalty so why bother?

:sad20:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I agree. No one is arguing about it.

BTW, just realize that you are discussing breaking the law on an open forum.

That may be read by law enforcement.

And if they arrest you and confiscate your firearms, even if they are wrong, what is the cost to you and your family?

It is worth it?

FLBoy

Dec 7, 2015
    MoCo
    Inherited firearms-already moved to MD

Hello all,
    Question for the community...

I moved to MD over 10 years ago for work; I have several firearms I had purchased while living in Florida well before that.

About 4 years ago, I inherited a rifle,shotgun and pistol from a family member in FL.

I had a discussion with a trooper recently over a similar hypothetical...the answers he gave were different than my understanding...here are my hypotheticals:

a) Firearms that were purchased 15+ years ago in another state (FL in this case) didn't need to be registered in MD when a person moved here 10 years ago. True?

b) the rifle and pistol don't need to be registered in MD as they were inherited before the 2013 gun law changes. True?

Thanks in advance!

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Hello all,
    Question for the community...

I moved to MD over 10 years ago for work; I have several firearms I had purchased while living in Florida well before that.

About 4 years ago, I inherited a rifle,shotgun and pistol from a family member in FL.

I had a discussion with a trooper recently over a similar hypothetical...the answers he gave were different than my understanding...here are my hypotheticals:

a) Firearms that were purchased 15+ years ago in another state (FL in this case) didn't need to be registered in MD when a person moved here 10 years ago. True?

b) the rifle and pistol don't need to be registered in MD as they were inherited before the 2013 gun law changes. True?

Thanks in advance!

FLBoy, You need to start your own thread! Since your new start with an introduction of who you are. Here http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119

GlockxRob

Jul 24, 2013
    Annapolis
    Hey I am also moving back to Maryland in the next 8 months. What have you learned and how did the process go for you? I am moving back to MD from Alabama (where gun rights are not infringed). I have a DDM4v5(pre ban) AR, AK-74(post ban) and two pistols(one pre and one post ban). Thanks.

- GlockxRob

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Hey I am also moving back to Maryland in the next 8 months. What have you learned and how did the process go for you? I am moving back to MD from Alabama (where gun rights are not infringed). I have a DDM4v5(pre ban) AR, AK-74(post ban) and two pistols(one pre and one post ban). Thanks.

- GlockxRob

Were all guns purchased in Alabama?

PHILTHYinNC

Jan 13, 2016
    I've searched this forum for about an hour, but haven't found anyone in my specific situation.

I'm a military contractor (IT/Computer geek) and got transferred to Baltimore for work in 2000. In 2010, I bought a Springfield Xdm .40. Awesome gun, btw. I went through the background check, seven day wait, etc. and got my gun. It is the only non-black powder pistol I currently own. I still have all paperwork for the weapon.

In January of 2015 I got transferred to NC. I currently have an NC driver's license, pay taxes here, etc. I am currently a NC resident.

It looks like I'm going to be transferred back to Baltimore this summer. It's a promotion and not an option (I LOVE my company!). Besides, other than STUPID gun laws and high taxes, I love living in Baltimore.

Do I have to register my pistol since I bought it before October, 2013 in Baltimore?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There are two opinions on this:

1) Since it was registered when you bought it, you don't have to register it.

2) The laws that people moving into the state, with the intent to establish residency, must register their firearms within 90 days. It does not say that you are exempt if they are already registered.

Your choice.

Personally, I would just fill on the paperwork and send it in. There is no cost to register.

Fender247

Jan 17, 2016
    First off, wow! Maryland gun laws are something!

From my research I understand that you can't transport a gun in your car unless you're going to a shooting range, hunting, class, etc.

But I can't seem to find anything on my situation. I'm currently a Florida resident and temporarily moving to MD for work. Duration is less than 1 year so I'm keeping my FL residency and license plates. There's a shooting range down the road from where I'll be living so I'd like to bring a handgun up.

It doesn't seem like there's anyway I can though. Does anyone know anything about visiting the state with handguns?

I'm also going to be driving around with FL plates. And there was that story in the news about how MD state police were targeting Florida plates registered to CCW Permit holders. So that kind of freaks me out. Am I just better off leaving the gun at home and using the rentals at the range?

LCR21

Jan 15, 2016
    Current DE resident at the moment.

This ban is only for ARs, right?

This ban doesn't apply to handguns, which aren't banned, but "regulated," no?

My Glock 21(13 rounds) and LCR are on the MD handgun roster. If I moved to MD, I would only need to register them within 90 days to be able to legally keep them at my home and to the range for practice?

ugh. Starting to think I'm better off commuting from DE, save up my money, then move to NOVA ASAP lol.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    First off, wow! Maryland gun laws are something!

From my research I understand that you can't transport a gun in your car unless you're going to a shooting range, hunting, class, etc.

But I can't seem to find anything on my situation. I'm currently a Florida resident and temporarily moving to MD for work. Duration is less than 1 year so I'm keeping my FL residency and license plates. There's a shooting range down the road from where I'll be living so I'd like to bring a handgun up.

It doesn't seem like there's anyway I can though. Does anyone know anything about visiting the state with handguns?

I'm also going to be driving around with FL plates. And there was that story in the news about how MD state police were targeting Florida plates registered to CCW Permit holders. So that kind of freaks me out. Am I just better off leaving the gun at home and using the rentals at the range?

If you are living here for more than 6 moths, MD considers you a resident. And if you are caught, you may be subject to legal actions.

YOU do not decide if you want to be a resident of not, unless you are active duty military. Everyone else, the says what triggers it.

Just sayin'

How is an MD cop supposed to know you have a FL CCW? And BTW, MANY MD residents have an FL carry permit. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Current DE resident at the moment.

This ban is only for ARs, right?

This ban doesn't apply to handguns, which aren't banned, but "regulated," no?

My Glock 21(13 rounds) and LCR are on the MD handgun roster. If I moved to MD, I would only need to register them within 90 days to be able to legally keep them at my home and to the range for practice?

ugh. Starting to think I'm better off commuting from DE, save up my money, then move to NOVA ASAP lol.

Yes

And not just ARs are banned. A whole list (same as the 1994 Federal Ban list).

Fender247

Jan 17, 2016

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You pay taxes in the state, if you work in the state, minus any taxes you pay in your home state. Of course, FL that is NONE. :)

DC area has a special exemption in that you only pay taxes for the state you reside in.

The question would be, how long you can be considered a temporary employee.

Personally, I would just fill out the registration form and send it in. Makes more work for MSP, and clogs up the database with more data. :)

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I've searched this forum for about an hour, but haven't found anyone in my specific situation.

I'm a military contractor (IT/Computer geek) and got transferred to Baltimore for work in 2000. In 2010, I bought a Springfield Xdm .40. Awesome gun, btw. I went through the background check, seven day wait, etc. and got my gun. It is the only non-black powder pistol I currently own. I still have all paperwork for the weapon.

In January of 2015 I got transferred to NC. I currently have an NC driver's license, pay taxes here, etc. I am currently a NC resident.

It looks like I'm going to be transferred back to Baltimore this summer. It's a promotion and not an option (I LOVE my company!). Besides, other than STUPID gun laws and high taxes, I love living in Baltimore.

Do I have to register my pistol since I bought it before October, 2013 in Baltimore?

Your pistol is ALREADY REGISTERED to you in your name in the MGUN registry. There is not any reason to duplicate the registration.

Any guns (pistols) you bought while a resident of another state, must be registered within 90 days of establishing residence in Maryland.

There are no regulated rifles in Maryland now... Only banned and not banned.
    Pistols must be on the Approved list...

Go here for more information:
    http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Pages/default.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom