Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 13th, 2015, 12:40 AM #1

AR15 or Mini 14

Friend is considering trading his DPMS AR15 for a Mini 14 tactical. I gave him my opinion( which is to shoot it and see what he likes better). I prefer the AR platform myself, and the only downside I could find is that magazines are considerably more expensive for the mini and it weighs slightly more.

Any other thoughts on this. I'm looking for input from those of you who have shot both. Just trying to give him good advice. Thanks!
YFallston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 12:47 AM #2
Official MDS Court Jester

Official MDS Court Jester

If you're just looking for a rifle to have a rifle in that caliber. Its hard to beat a Mini-14. Its ambi if you know how to work it (an AR is also but less so), it comes with decent sights, and if you buy the right model, you can get a flash hider and a bayonet lug. (Because everything needs a bayonet.
But, if you're looking for a rifle to customize, be adaptable to different situations, use in competition (formal and informal).
For self/home defense either one will work wonderful, for target shooting the AR will reign supreme, for hunting the AR is better and the accessory market for the AR is unbelievable.

The peace sign is just the trigger and the middle finger.

What is Liberty Tree? Click this to find out
http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=117200
mopar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 12:50 AM #3

Tough choice so get both

I have shot a 580+ Ranch Version, like the iron sights, pretty accurate. Having to get Ruger Mags to ensure proper functionality stinks
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

-CS Lewis
altima98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 12:52 AM #4
Samopal Goblin

Samopal Goblin

everyone should own a mini-14.

That said, I would probably stick with the ar and just buy a mini-14 that you like

Then have that bad boy melonited
Old January 13th, 2015, 12:54 AM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by altima98 View Post
Tough choice so get both

I have shot a 580+ Ranch Version, like the iron sights, pretty accurate. Having to get Ruger Mags to ensure proper functionality stinks
Yes, he needs both. But he needs an AR first, since that's the one most targetted by libtards.
Sling Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 12:56 AM #6
Heavy weight

Heavy weight

Id go AR all day, Much more accurate IMO
Oldcarjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 12:58 AM #7

I have to say go with the AR. Its modular, the parts and accessories are everywhere, its reliable and easy to fix/maintain. And as Sling Blade said above me, the commies want them cause they are black and evil.
3paul10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 12:58 AM #8
Samopal Goblin

Samopal Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by altima98 View Post
Tough choice so get both

the newer tapco mags work 100% in all the minis I've tried them in. This includes new model tapered barrel models as well as stainless GB models and the sharp magazine pin DOC GBs.

The only thing I didn't like about the mini is no chromed barrels, but melonite is better anyways and will leave your action and chamber glass smooth as well as simplifying maintenance.

The tapcos I'm talking about are the ones with a metal plate at the front locking lug and stiffer polymer reinforced with more glass.

BTW, I'm not a pimp for melonite, nitriding is just incredible. I got a vz-2008 done and since then I've been in love with the process. My buddy just got some garand barrels done as well as a sub2k and some other stuff. The sub2k looks and shoots INCREDIBLE. Can't wait for him to get those garands put back together!!
Old January 13th, 2015, 01:05 AM #9
I wanna go fast

I wanna go fast

All comes down to person preference and what the intended use of the rifle will be. I own both and here are my thoughts:

Mini-14
It's rugged, reliable, and simple. Requires very little maintenance. Jack of all trades, master of none describes it well. It's well suited to being a survival/camping/general outdoors carry rifle; hence the name "ranch rifle".

I personally enjoy shooting the rifle and find it's handy and points well. I recommend keeping it in a fixed stock configuration; putting it in aftermarket folding/collapsible stocks with rails and whatnot makes it very front heavy. The only real downside to the platform is the magazines. Spend the extra money for metal factory mags.

AR15
It's "America's Rifle". Parts and magazines are readily available. It can be modified in a million ways. As for weight, it can easily weigh as much or more as the Mini depending on how it's set up. It has the potential to be more accurate than the Mini, but this varies based on the setup. Recoil is also generally less than the Mini.

I think the AR is, for the average person, the better defensive/tactical rifle. It's modularity and easy of attaching optics/accessories makes it open to a wider audience. It does require slightly more maintenance to be reliable, but overall it's a proven platform.

Personally I like both and wouldn't give either up. With enough practice, one can become proficient with either. Your friend needs to handle both before deciding.

“Driving a muscle car fast isn't that fun, it's driving one slowly and making a ton of noise and pissing people off, that's what’s fun.” –Matt Farah
-Z/28- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 01:08 AM #10
Banned

Banned

To each his own for their own reasons. The mini is a work of beauty (if one put a NICE piece of walnut on it) and looks like a rile is supposed to look like. AR's... a prosthetic leg looking pos and if one likes em that much.... enlist.
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting