• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tylenator

May 18, 2012
    Carroll County
    I'd like my next toy to be a revolver. I was looking into something like the S&W Governor (using that for example, I don't necessarily want that specific firearm) that has the ability to shoot various types of .45 along with .410 shells. The versatility interests me.

Through starting my research I've been reading various reviews or opinions that weapons that are made to shoot .410 are impractical or made for novelty and don't last very well? I've also read that shooting the .410 shells can actually damage the pistol over time? These site has been from very opinionated people that sound like they think they know everything about everything. So its very subjective to me rather than objective.

I'm a striker-fire kinda guy, so this is a new pool I'm starting to swim in. So does anyone have any knowledge/experience with these types of handguns? Any suggestions on what you prefer and why? Thanks!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    hmm.. i dont see why a 410 would damage a pistol.. unless you are not cleaning them properly to begin with.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'd skip the Judge and Governor and find a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible with the .45 Colt cylinder and the .45 ACP cylinder. They're still made, and there's no doubting the strength of the Blackhawk.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    They are a novelty. I have the Rossi Circuit Judge, which is the long gun version of the Taurus Judge. If you accept it for what it is, they are fine. They are fun, but nit the most accurate. They are fun.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'd skip the Judge and Governor and find a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible with the .45 Colt cylinder and the .45 ACP cylinder. They're still made, and there's no doubting the strength of the Blackhawk.

^This!

Jim with the win!

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Try out some different guns and pick what you like......remember this is about YOU. Keep in mind that sometimes novelty trumps practicality.......

Tylenator

May 18, 2012
    Carroll County
    safecracker said:
    Try out some different guns and pick what you like......remember this is about YOU. Keep in mind that sometimes novelty trumps practicality.......

Agreed... I'm just seeking some info before I begin that :)

Tylenator

May 18, 2012
    Carroll County
    jimbobborg said:

Just checked it out, reviews are great! $499? I'm gonna have to go shoot one

Tylenator

May 18, 2012
    Carroll County
    I did some additional reading and I think I've answered my own question. I'll go with a 357. First round loaded will be snake shot followed by hollow point (for carry). That ruger blackhawk looks real nice

adjusterr

Mar 28, 2011
    Indian Springs, Western MD
    45 ACP/45 LC/.410 Revolver controversy

You are so right about opinionated people. I have had a Taurus Judge with a 6" barrel for about three years and have shot countless rounds of both .410 and .45 LC. I have seen no adverse effects and the pistol works perfectly. Re: accuracy, last Fall I practically beheaded a groundhog in my garden, at about25' using a Winchester PDX1 shotshell. I really don't understand the negative opinions regarding the Judge. I personally am of the opinion the negative comments are coming from individuals who don't own nor have they tested a Judge revolver. I know this for a fact,I would not want to be on the receiving end of either a PDX1 load or a .45 long Colt. I have several choices of self defense pistols and the Judge is my bedside choice.

Attachments

• CIMG0723 (449 x 600).jpg
      CIMG0723 (449 x 600).jpg
      55.1 KB · Views: 1,387

Cai

Jul 5, 2011
    Poolsville
    I've got a question: Why 45acp? I get the .410 and 45LC but why add 45acp? Is it because its the same diameter ans the other 2?

Also isn't there a .410 flechette round? wouldn't that be a good defence round?

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    454 Casull...shoots 45LC just like a 44 mag shoots 44 special. Have no idea if you can get half moon rings to shoot 45acp.

454 Casull would be great for hunting hogs in Florida on your next trip to Disney World...
    Just another option...

:party29:

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    The diameter of the .45 ACP is .451 but the .45 Colt is .454. I don't know what diameter the Ruger combo bbl is, but I'd assume .454, which means accuracy with ACP bullets will be sub-par. If it is .451, you won't be able to safely fire most jacketed .45 Colt bullets through it. Individual guns vary slightly in bbl diameter.

.38/.357 birdshot is very unlikely to kill anything, and any shot fired from a rifled bbl, even a .410, will throw a fairly lousy swirling pattern. If you are just shooting it for fun, it's perfectly safe.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    You are so right about opinionated people. I have had a Taurus Judge with a 6" barrel for about three years and have shot countless rounds of both .410 and .45 LC. I have seen no adverse effects and the pistol works perfectly. Re: accuracy, last Fall I practically beheaded a groundhog in my garden, at about25' using a Winchester PDX1 shotshell. I really don't understand the negative opinions regarding the Judge. I personally am of the opinion the negative comments are coming from individuals who don't own nor have they tested a Judge revolver. I know this for a fact,I would not want to be on the receiving end of either a PDX1 load or a .45 long Colt. I have several choices of self defense pistols and the Judge is my bedside choice.

Nice pic ... I have the 6" version too. It blows up milk jugs at 25' real good, so I can just imagine what it did to Puxatawny Phil. I've put many a round through mine, SP and HP .45 and standard and PDX1 shotgun loads with nary a hiccup. Occasionally cheaper shotgun shells swell and hang up on ejection, but can be tapped out with a pencil, but I've never had any accuracy problem at 25' and under which makes it a decent and relatively inexpensive all around HD weapon.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I don't own a Judge or a Govenor, but I do seem to recall the Taurus is advertised as a .410/.45LC combo vs. the S&W being capable of .410/.45LC/ and .45ACP with half moons?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I did some additional reading and I think I've answered my own question. I'll go with a 357. First round loaded will be snake shot followed by hollow point (for carry). That ruger blackhawk looks real nice

DON'T. That snake shot won't stop a dedicated attacker and you may only get one shot. That shot MUST count, use a good 125gr JHP and trust your life to it.

If you want a .45lc double action, I'd look for a Ruger Redhawk. The .45lc is an incredible round and the Redhawk will handle the hottest factory loads with ease.

Also isn't there a .410 flechette round? wouldn't that be a good defence round?

No it wouldn't. Flechettes do not weigh enough to be effective defensive rounds as a rule.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    The diameter of the .45 ACP is .451 but the .45 Colt is .454. I don't know what diameter the Ruger combo bbl is, but I'd assume .454, which means accuracy with ACP bullets will be sub-par. If it is .451, you won't be able to safely fire most jacketed .45 Colt bullets through it. Individual guns vary slightly in bbl diameter.

.38/.357 birdshot is very unlikely to kill anything, and any shot fired from a rifled bbl, even a .410, will throw a fairly lousy swirling pattern. If you are just shooting it for fun, it's perfectly safe.

That depends. 45 colts revolvers produced before WWII have a bore diameter of .454". Post war guns bore diameters are .451" to .452" ..the same as 45ACP - this is according to my Speer reloading manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom