• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Interesting question I came up with.

Suppose you are visiting 2 states by air. One is pro-2A and one isn't. You want your pistol in the first state.

What options do you have to deal with your pistol in the second state? Ship it to an FFL in your home state? Ship it to a family member?

I know some people will say don't visit the second state, for this scenario, let's say there are valid reasons and not just "ooh tourism."

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    If legal to have in all associated states, just fly with it. If this is a real upcoming scenario, it would help if you list the cities and states in this plan.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I hate to send any of my firearms for shipping. I don't fly with it, period! If you need it, drive.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    If legal to have in all associated states, just fly with it. If this is a real upcoming scenario, it would help if you list the cities and states in this plan.

Alaska with a layover in California on the way home.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Is it an airport layover or are you collecting your luggage and staying in Cali for a bit.
    If don't need the firearm in Alaska, don't take it. One less hassle if you are staying in Cali...

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    My buddy just moved there and had to drive. Had to show a letter and basically swear to not to stop unless it was for sleep food or fuel.

I saw that you can pass through if you are moving there or back to the lower 48, but not for "non-essential" reasons like tourism.

Is it an airport layover or are you collecting your luggage and staying in Cali for a bit.
    If don't need the firearm in Alaska, don't take it. One less hassle if you are staying in Cali...

My grandparents graves are in San Diego so I was thinking of spending a day or two there on the way back, to avoid doing an overnight flight.

I guess I don't really need it, but it would be good to carry it in some parts of Alaska.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Fly to AK with it. Ship it to yourself from Alaska at your neighbors or buddies house. Must have your name on it as Ship To. USPS medium box with a towel from the hotel will do the trick.

Dingo222

Nov 6, 2019
    I’d ship it from Ak as others have said. Ca is just a pita and always hit or miss on who you have to deal with at the airport. I bought an ar upper in San Diego and flew home with it, and they ran me through the ringer for it. It just not worth the hassle if you don’t need it in that state. I’m born and raised there, and this state is a close second to the amount of stupid that they have for firearms laws.

Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    I’d ship it from Ak as others have said. Ca is just a pita and always hit or miss on who you have to deal with at the airport. I bought an ar upper in San Diego and flew home with it, and they ran me through the ringer for it. It just not worth the hassle if you don’t need it in that state. I’m born and raised there, and this state is a close second to the amount of stupid that they have for firearms laws.

Wow! Just for an upper?? Sounds like mailing it back from AK is the right answer.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    I’ve flown to CA for a few days. I flew in/out of SFO with cased & locked HK45. 8 & 10 round mags and 50 rounds. The airport security was run by a contractor. They were thorough but acted professional.

I fly with guns frequently as a civilian. If you know the rules, your ahead of the people at the ticket counter. Just be patient with them. Realize that they might not know anything about guns or have exercised the procedure for checking them in as baggage. We should give them more practice!

Also, be prepared for them to change procedures on you. Sometime bags go to the carousel.. Other times an agent from baggage has brought them to me. I have a couple of fun stories, but I’ve never missed a flight or had them lose a bag.

BTW double check me but I recall that CA does extend castle doctrine to hotel rooms.

Carry on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom