• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Its amazing to me that with this type of analysis, leveraging historical and recent precedent affirming that the 2nd amendment is an individual right, that it exists outside of the home and at the individuals location, that we are still having this debate. Even with the courts position that the right is not without limits and that it can be regulated it would seem to me that those regulations would have to allow most people to carry outside the home and that the regulations should define the small percentage of the population that is excluded from this right. Instead, in MD at least, the general rule is that you are denied this right and the exception allows you access to the 2nd amendment.

Maybe with the recent decision by the MSP to allow lowers to be sold again, they will allow everyone to get a CCW with the G&S being "all lawful purposes". :D

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Don't start popping the champagne corks just yet.

While it is certainly GREAT news, this case is far from over. It still has to meander it's way to what will certainly be it's ultimate destination: SCOTUS.

In the meantime, the DC government, city council, and mayor will do everything they can, legal or illegal, to continue to suppress the 2nd amendment in the nation's capital. One need look no further than all of the gun stores in Chicago to get my point. Most assuredly, DC is NOT going to take this laying down.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Honestly?

I think there's enough wiggle room in this ruling that Maryland's "defacto no-issue" CCW law will stand unaltered unless the SCOTUS decides otherwise.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    First off, Yay! Given how it is worded, I can't help but wonder what took five years for this decision to be released.:rolleyes: Hopefully SAF can recover for all the extra work in getting it released in the subsequent 1988 case.
    Hopefully the courts will keep the feet dragging by DC to a minimum.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Holy chit Batman! Pow! It just took the first free Saturday afternoon he had over the last three years plus, and two swift kicks in the ass, to do the right thing. Whoot! Whoot! Of course there will be an appeal . . . . but I'll take it!

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Constitutional Carry in DC for residents and non-residents! Dream of dreams would that it go all the way to SCOTUS and be affirmed. We all get carry and court mandated National Resiprosity.

OMG I am giggling with joy right now!!!
    My Utah permit might work in DC now? LOL!

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    So why did Scullen issue the decision from Syracuse, New York?

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    OMG I am giggling with joy right now!!!
    My Utah permit might work in DC now? LOL!

Was thinking about driving down south carrying for kicks and giggles, then realized I have been celebrating too much!

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    FREEDOM! Well at least for a while. Can you imagine the rush on the lone gun shop/dealer in DC over the next few days - until a stay is ordered! :(

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    It goes on to say:

" Furthermore, this injunction prohibits the District from completely banning the carrying of handguns in public for self-defense by otherwise qualified non-residents based solely on the fact that they are not residents of the District."

So, qualifications matter, but are not specified. Unless you want to test your Utah permit, best to wait until the Powers That Be start issuing regs.

Of course, I'd be glad to toss a hunnert bucks into your legal defense fund, if you want to be the test case.

So will Adam Kokesh be released from prison?

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    DC won't let this sit, at least not yet. You can expect them to seek a stay while they appeal to the DC circuit. After that, who knows? If we win again in the circuit there's a good chance DC won't repeat the mistake they made in Heller by petitioning SCOTUS. If we lose in the circuit a SCOTUS petition is almost inevitable.

That's why we have "sleeper" cases in places like NJ... Pantano and Almeida are two. Hell, I might even apply for a permit and get denied if it comes down to that. :party29:

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    This is now on many folks' radar, including some media. I don't think they're going to be able to drag their feet on this one like Sculin did.

fingers crossed of course

ETA-funny is was issued in Syracuse NY. Maybe he lives there?

He was reassigned to DC, which is part of the reason they took 4 years.

And yes, judges don't necessarily live in the vicinage.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Was thinking about driving down south carrying for kicks and giggles, then realized I have been celebrating too much!

I have a road trip coming up. With this in mind I might even overnight in DC, knowing that I can feel safe having a firearm to protect myself...

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Constitutional Carry... but they can still give you ten years for possessing a single cartridge, right?

Yeah you can carry, but with no ammo! ;)

How will this part of the ruling affect that?

there is no longer any basis on which this court can conclude that the District of Columbia's total ban on the public carrying of ready-to-use handguns outside the home is constitutional under any level of scrutiny

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom