• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    So the DC Circuit covers the same jurisdiction as the DC District and nothing more? Interesting. I thought it would be more, based on other Circuit jurisdictions. But then again, DC is just DC. ;)
    the DC circuit covers all federal regulation and rulemaking everywhere. so in some ways, it is the largest of the circuits.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Some restrictions are still viewd as OK. It even says so in this decision. I suspect the House and Senate office buildings would be restricted areas.

Yes, going forward I would agree with you about the House & Senate office buildings.

But those two currently charged were charged under DC law, which is now ruled to be unconstitutional.

I'm just wondering if the arrest and charging of these two was the impetus for this ruling.

Southwest Chuck

A Calguns Interloper.. ;)
    Jul 21, 2011
    CA
    the DC circuit covers all federal regulation and rulemaking everywhere. so in some ways, it is the largest of the circuits.

That's what I thought :innocent0 . Thanks Patrick for chiming in :thumbsup:.

So if the DC Circuit affirms, this could have some far reaching effects, if I'm not mistaken (and I may very well be ;) ).

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    IANAL but if the property is a unit (not necessarily a park) of the National Park System it seems to be included. Guess we need clarification on Park Property in DC. I assume it is since the NPS is responsible for it. Maybe one of the eagles can jump in here.

This is why I mentioned it.

I almost ran afoul of the (in)distinctions a few years back.

Properties like National Wildlife Refuges are a different arm than NPS.

Ag, Interior, ACE, BLM... all (and maybe others) control their lands differently, and not all fall under the same laws re: carry.

As explained to me by uniformed staff in several places, NWRs, for example, do not allow concealed carry of handguns, even in carry states (DE, to be specific).

Southwest Chuck

Jul 21, 2011
    CA
    This is why I mentioned it.

I almost ran afoul of the (in)distinctions a few years back.

Properties like National Wildlife Refuges are a different arm than NPS.

Ag, Interior, ACE, BLM... all (and maybe others) control their lands differently, and not all fall under the same laws re: carry.

NWRs, for example, do not allow carry.

Not sure that's totally accurate as a blanket statement, since you can hunt in many of them, and a handgun is a legal method of take on many species, from my understanding anyway. Just saying :innocent0
    http://www.fws.gov/refuges/hunting/

ozwyn

Ultimate Member
    Apr 21, 2008
    Richardson, Texas
    More evidence the rather affordable (150 still i think?) lifetime membership to the SAF is a sound contribution to gun rights.

Gura has done more for gun rights than maybe anyone in my lifetime. A couple more wins and he will have to be held in the kind of esteemed company as JMB for gun owners.

Southwest Chuck

Jul 21, 2011
    CA
    ^^^
    I agree. Maybe one day we'll be calling him "Justice" Gura and he can contribute from the other side of the Gavel, too? ;)

Time will tell, lol :party29:

Mr H

Not sure that's totally accurate as a blanket statement, since you can hunt in many of them, and a handgun is a legal method of take on many species, from my understanding anyway. Just saying :innocent0
    http://www.fws.gov/refuges/hunting/

I was speaking of CC handguns, and I was turned away in a UT-reciprocal carry state. I'll go back and clarify my post.

Mr H

DC Ch 7 just had a piece on the ruling, but I only caught the end of it.

Wife said it seemed fair and thorough to her, but all I saw was:

--a hipster chick assuming angry people would have arguments escalate
    --a mature white guy looking forward to the possibility of carrying at night
    --comments that Council Members will be defending their laws

I'll see if I can find it online and see what else there might have been

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    DC Ch 7 just had a piece on the ruling, but I only caught the end of it.

Wife said it seemed fair and thorough to her, but all I saw was:

--a hipster chick assuming angry people would have arguments escalate
    --a mature white guy looking forward to the possibility of carrying at night
    --comments that Council Members will be defending their laws

I'll see if I can find it online and see what else there might have been

DC Ch 4 had a story as well and interviewed Lions (one of the PLantiffs).

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Great news! This is going to be a logistical and administrative nightmare for the city.

Doesn't really seem to be a problem for other cities that have shall-issue CCW. They only make it a problem because they want to screw with the right as much as possible and are probably trying to find a way around the ruling.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If these cities spent half as much time hassling folks and trying these stupid legal maneuvers and just issued permits, they'd have time and money to actually accomplish something. Like reducing gang and youth violence.

They're not interested in that however. Look at Chicago.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Doesn't really seem to be a problem for other cities that have shall-issue CCW. They only make it a problem because they want to screw with the right as much as possible and are probably trying to find a way around the ruling.

DC is not just any city. Most things in DC are near a school, embassy, secure facility, government agency building, or other sensitive facility. IMO a law that says that carry is only approved on may issue basis within 150 yards of a sensitive facility could very realistically pass muster on national security grounds, even under Strict scrutiny, yet restrict carry to 10-20% of DC (residential areas).

This is not just a logistical nightmare from a LEO point of view, but someone is probably burning the midnight oil drawing circles of various radii around sensitive areas to see how much of DC is left. The court didsay, restrictions on the right in sensitive places was presumptively constitutional.

When people say, surely the court will uphold carry in DC, remember, the Supreme Court restricts freedom of the press and assembly of their own front steps for security reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom