• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • On_Target

Feb 7, 2013
    Uncle Duke's explanation

I'll take a stab at your question.....

I THINK what he's trying to say is that most of us in the reloading forum aren't metallurgists. If I understand your post correctly, and I read it several times, you suspect brass fatigue as the OP's problem. That is, the cases don't have sufficient elasticity to release from the chamber wall after peak pressure subsides upon firing. Hence, they are difficult to extract.

Short of a more probable die setting issue IMO given what I surmise to be a newer reloader, you may indeed be absolutely correct. But respectfully sir, can you "dumb your thoughts down" a bit?

Your target audience? They run the gamut from experienced reloaders to those who may have an interest in the hobby, but have zero experience with it. You're speaking Greek to many who may not be operating presses in Athens. :)

Did I read that wrong Uncle Duke? If I did I apologize for the long windedness. I was under the presumption that the extraction issue was post firing not pre firing. If it is after the shooting event the rifle chamber becomes the new de facto resizer from the the higher pressures placed on the internal surfaces of the case walls fire forming against the chamber's geometry. This event cancels out any input made from a reloader having an effect on the case after that moment only.

Sorry to be obtuse. Thanks for looking out for me.:)

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Ob
    Did I read that wrong Uncle Duke? If I did I apologize for the long windedness. I was under the presumption that the extraction issue was post firing not pre firing. If it is after the shooting event the rifle chamber becomes the new de facto resizer from the the higher pressures placed on the internal surfaces of the case walls fire forming against the chamber's geometry. This event cancels out any input made from a reloader having an effect on the case after that moment only.

EXhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaale,,, sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    I am gonna help you one time with your issue of being obtuse.
    Do yourself a favor and stop being obtuse here ( stupid or unintelligent : not able to think clearly or to understand what is obvious or simple minded ) Peoples education here go from High School Drop outs to Doctors and Attorneys and a whole lot of Engineers, We cover the gamut of the educated . Your constant use of the Readers Digest Words of the month will most likely bite you in the ass here. Your Language skills are verbose and ineffective. The key to effective communication is " Brevity "my Son.

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    If ChefD51 can shoot a factory round with no problem, and chamber his reloaded round with no problem, then until ChefD51 loads a round with 44 gr of IMR 4320 to see if the problem goes away, then he will have an answer. Progress from there until the rounds begin to become hard to extract.

If something doesn't work...then you have to try something else...

Most articles about reloading refer to "working up a load"...which would have answered the 44gr question.

:party29:

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    You're an insulting and sad person.
    Is that brief enough?
    Sincerely,
    your Son.

My Son,
    Nice effort, However, Your obsessive need for validation requires me to answer succinctly, No you not have mastered brevity.
    Sadly yours Dad.

P.S. I am so sorry that you got in trouble and got sent to Boys Village Finishing School.

clay pigeon

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 5, 2012
    I have heard that there is now medical help avaiable for those with "pressure problems" and difficulty "working up a load". I'm just saying.......

On_Target

Feb 7, 2013
    My Son,
    Nice effort, However, Your obsessive need for validation requires me to answer succinctly, No you not have mastered brevity.
    Sadly yours Dad.

P.S. I am so sorry that you got in trouble and got sent to Boys Village Finishing School.

Where you no doubt found the love of your life who can't speak up on his behalf to protest. I hope you two live happily ever after, Namaste.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

No apologies necessary! And no, you didn't read that wrong. I did! MY apology! OP states POST firing. And agreed....chamber geometry indeed now the determinant...

Sounds indeed like a classic pressure issue. Curious as to the OP's powder charge weight, and both the cartridge overall length and the case length. Op mentions a range, but not the specific charge he is using of IMR4320.

The "Game King" 130 grain bullet that the OP mentions as being used would be Sierra's #1820, which Sierra Edition 5 7th printing indicates should have a COAL spec of 3.300".

Case trim to length is shown as 2.53, with a pre-trim spec not to exceed 2.54.

Charge weight per Sierra Edition 5 are 43.6 on the low end, and 49.4 on the max.

I think the OP's answer may well be found by putting a caliper to those rounds.

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    No apologies necessary! And no, you didn't read that wrong. I did! MY apology! OP states POST firing. And agreed....chamber geometry indeed now the determinant...

Sounds indeed like a classic pressure issue. Curious as to the OP's powder charge weight, and both the cartridge overall length and the case length. Op mentions a range, but not the specific charge he is using of IMR4320.

The "Game King" 130 grain bullet that the OP mentions as being used would be Sierra's #1820, which Sierra Edition 5 7th printing indicates should have a COAL spec of 3.300".

Charge weight per Sierra Edition 5 are 43.6 on the low end, and 49.4 on the max.

46 grains which is in the opening post:

270win Reloading Issue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am reloading rounds for my Savage 270. I am having an issue after shooting a round I have to use a dead blow to get the casing to eject. The obvious things have been checked, case length, COAL is well with in. I'm using IMR 4320 46gr Serra 130gr Game King bullets. The min charge is 45.7 and the max is 47. I need to know what I am either doing wrong or am missing when I am reloading.
    Thanks for all your help!

:party29:

On_Target

Feb 7, 2013

O.k., I follow what you're saying. I didn't see anything really cockeyed at my first read of the O.P. that's based on my own experience with the cartridge. That's why I suggested the case was the issue. I typically run that case well above SAAMI specs to get excessive velocities from a falling block breech gun. I don't usually see the case hugging the walls until well after I see signs of excessive pressure indicated from the primer pockets losing purchase on the primers and or a little primer flattening. Like I said, usually, not always. There were two details that were sticking out at me in his post mortem and that was that there was no real data on the case and the primer state was not referenced either. I guess we presume it was chamfered properly as this is a remotely possible cause as well. Unfortunately, however, I would be guessing again. Any chance we can get some good data on the case like manufacturer, D.O.M., lot # and number of uses prior to loading and at what loads before?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Case length and COAL said to be within specs. Double checked and read correctly lets assume.

Determined not to be exceeding COAL. Ok, but wondering if seated far too deep? Wondering what that reloaded round looks like compared to a factory 130?

Posters sxs and Deep Creek Rock are both pointing toward where that bullet is in relation to the lands upon chambering. I definitely wonder about that too. Diesel-man mentions 44 grains and work up.....and he's right.....entirely possible that OP's charge weight is simply too hot for HIS rifle. But why so low, and almost the very bottom on the published charge scale?

Another quick check would be to measure COAL prior to chambering, chamber round, and then extract unfired round. COAL changed? Bullet driven deeper? If so, by how much? By too much in any case for sure, but any such occurance should mark the bullet sufficiently to notice. And the caliper doesn't lie. SOMETHING is causing that extraction pressure sign/difficult to extract issue! Hope the OP gets back on this one.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You dont NEED that shit. A regular FL sizing die will work fine. The point of my post was to eliminate possibles, not recommend a bunch of shit the OP dosnt need.

RCBS recommends cam over with their FL dies, as per instructions. The OP already stated he has a set of RCBS FL dies.

That being said Ive camed over many brass in various guns, and the brass still lasts along time.

ALL FL dies recommend camming over in the instructions.

That sizes the case to the minimum dimensions. WHICH IS NOT REQUIRED.

If you want to over work your brass, and reduce the life through the brass moving forward with every firing, then go for it. Overdoing the sizing leads to case head separations, neck thickening, needing to trim more often, and even neck splits.

Some people blindly follow the directions, which are written the be safe, but not confuse people. Other people like to learn how to do things better.

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    Op. Sorry these threads get off track. I would take the advise given in some post and start over Maybe different cases and min charge. And work towards the round you rifle likes.
    Make the dummy round to check its operation in you rifle.
    I have received really good info from these threads and members on this site. Sometimes you have to use your filter when going thru. If you need some different brass to try pm me if you are close to Joppa I would be glad to give you some.
    Good luck sir

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    ALL FL dies recommend camming over in the instructions.

That sizes the case to the minimum dimensions. WHICH IS NOT REQUIRED.

If you want to over work your brass, and reduce the life through the brass moving forward with every firing, then go for it. Overdoing the sizing leads to case head separations, neck thickening, needing to trim more often, and even neck splits.

Some people blindly follow the directions, which are written the be safe, but not confuse people. Other people like to learn how to do things better.

And some people spend more time on the internet telling people how they reload, instead of time on the bench, or at the firing range/field. I mean my god, MDS member since Feb 2013, and over 3750 posts ...when does one find time to load or even shoot?

All your posts on this forum is contradicting other peoples post, and whole lot of :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: Sounds like someone full of piss & vinegar to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom