• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfarrell

Feb 9, 2013
    Mechanicsville, MD
    I am trying to get my wife into shooting and I think the best place to start would be with a .22 rifle since they aren't very loud, don't have a lot of recoil and aren't as "scary" as bigger guns haha.
    Having said that, I would like to get a decent rifle that is dependable but won't cost me an arm and a leg. I have been looking at the tactical .22s that are designed to look like AR's. They look like a bit of fun, I've seen a few with the Picattany rails and everything.
    Any suggestions on which .22 would give me the most "bang for my buck?" Any reviews, suggestions or other input would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I am trying to get my wife into shooting and I think the best place to start would be with a .22 rifle since they aren't very loud, don't have a lot of recoil and aren't as "scary" as bigger guns haha.
    Having said that, I would like to get a decent rifle that is dependable but won't cost me an arm and a leg. I have been looking at the tactical .22s that are designed to look like AR's. They look like a bit of fun, I've seen a few with the Picattany rails and everything.
    Any suggestions on which .22 would give me the most "bang for my buck?" Any reviews, suggestions or other input would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

I would recommend that you start by searching the "rimfire" section of the forum. This question gets asked a LOT!!!!!. Do NOT put in the work "gun" in the search engine... it will error out. There are a number of ways to go. Many like the Ruger 10/22 platform, fits you $$ requirement and has a lot of add on parts. Also it is somewhat available vs. other tactical looking 22s. Search is your friend!!!!

MotoJ

Sep 4, 2012
    Mobtown
    No expert, but I would think a basic sporting style rifle would be better to learn on than a "tactical" for a first timer.

I just purchased a Marlin 795 at Dick's for $159. I had Dick's "points", so I got $30 off.
    Synthetic stock, semi-auto, 10 round stick magazine, microgroove rifling, heavy barrel.

I bought it for an upcoming Appleseed event I'm participating in- they are recommended for them, along with the Ruger 10/22s. The Rugers are going for about $240 for a base model carbine nowadays.

Both get great reviews. I've heard the 795 is more accurate straight out of the box, but I've never done a "pepsi challenge". The 795 is lighter and less expensive, and it has a hold-open bolt, which is a good safety feature. They are less customizeable than the Rugers, and smaller.

If you just want a .22lr for training, I imagine you can find a gazillion Remington, Savage, or Marlin bolt action rifles at pawn shops. The guns are easier to find than the ammo right now!

You should sign your wife up for the Lady Appleseed event in Annapolis- there's one July 20 and another August 17th. . Great rifle training. I'm looking forward to it.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/index.html

jfarrell

Feb 9, 2013
    Mechanicsville, MD
    Thanks BK.
    I will check that out. Just type "rimfire" into the search area? (I'm new to the site) Or are you saying there is a section entitled rimfire somewhere on here?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    10/22 magazines are easier to load than 795's ... 795's can work your fingers raw at an Appleseed event and there are a lot of magazine loads at Appleseed - been there done that with both guns.

Outside of that, I am a big fan of Marlins over Rugers.

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    A Henry Golden Boy lever-action is pretty sweet. It was my first .22 and I'm glad I got it. But, it's definitely a lot of $$$ for a .22, especially for someone just getting into shooting.

I've been eying the 10/22 also. Don't discount the Savage MkII. It's such a nice shooter too and probably one of the least expensive "adult" sized .22s.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    A lever gun is sweet, but I doubt many people could run one at an Appleseed.

My GSG-5? :D :P

Embarrassed to say I've even held one much less shot one ... smoothest stock trigger on an "AR" style 22 you'll ever feel, I have to give the designers that ... would have been better if they designed the receiver so you could actually tighten the scope mount without seizing the bolt, and, and, and ...

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My thought for simple ease of use would be a decent semi-auto with a tube fed magazine, such as a Marlin Model 60.

If you want a "great" .22, then then the Cadillac of .22s is probably the Marlin model 39A. However, you'll spend a few hundred more for the right to own one. However, if you do know this - it's the oldest, most continuously produced shoulder fired firearm in the world, and you won't ever want to get rid of it. It's a basic lever action, but it's just a great design. That was my favorite of all the 22s I had to choose from when I was growing up. (and I had probably 20ish different .22s to choose from on the rack) It was unbelievably accurate, and it was super reliable.

Good luck. Keep us posted on what you wind up getting.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have a 10/22, A Savage Mark II (bolt action); a Marlin 39A (lever action) and a S&W 15-22 semi-auto. The Ruger is nearly stock and is more reliable and accurate in my experience than the S&W. The 39A is indeed one of the all-time greats, but it would be hard to use in an Appleseed. In the hands of a skilled marksman, the Mark II would make a VERY good Appleseed gun as would a CZ-542.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Marlin xt-22. My preferred version is the xt-22tr. That is the tube fed version. If she doesn't like noise,, this could be prefect for her, because if you can find 22 shorts, the gun will cycle them, and there is almost no notable recoil, at they are incredibly quiet. To the point that I would feel fine without ear protection on. I put tech-sights on mine, and it has become one of my favorite rifles, while most of the semi autos end up staying home, as they just aren't as fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom