• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    4f8b34a9e0218d4bcf6369783161cb84.jpg

Common sense stuff, but a good reminder for those on the hunt!

scrovak

Back in the "Free" State
    May 2, 2011
    How far out from the buying process do you recommend a freeze on employment actions? More specifically, if switching to, say, federal employment from contract employment, how close is too close to closing?

sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    Going through the process now. I finished paying of my car and it lowered my score. Closing around April 15 for a 1099 employee adds some stresses. Honest question how are gambling profits treated during the closing process?

scrovak

Back in the "Free" State
    May 2, 2011
    Going through the process now. I finished paying of my car and it lowered my score. Closing around April 15 for a 1099 employee adds some stresses. Honest question how are gambling profits treated during the closing process?

Ryan can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they are treated as windfall income. You can use it toward a down payment, or stick the winnings in an accou t to draw from as a mortgage payment, but since it's profit from gambling, it obviously cannot be considered income when determining what you qualify for.

For example, someone working at McDonald's for $26k per year who wins $50k from a scratch-off ticket won't be viewed as a $75k annual income

Does that make sense?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I messed up on the dont deposit cash right before I bought my first house. No one told me. It got figured out but it was a hassle.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I would also like to know about the cash deposits. How far out from the loan process is ok and when should you stop? Can moving money between accounts cause any problems?

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    When I bought my current home 6 years ago the lender asked us about two random deposits into our checking account from six months prior maybe.

One was a $40 something cash deposit and the other a check for $7. Had to do a lot of digging to figure it out but one was a $7 oil rebate check and the other was change from my kids piggy bank when he was saving up to buy something. Sometimes it can be a pain in the ass.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    How far out from the buying process do you recommend a freeze on employment actions? More specifically, if switching to, say, federal employment from contract employment, how close is too close to closing?

If there is no gap and the method of pay is consistent you can move just prior. Message me any specific questions

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Ryan can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they are treated as windfall income. You can use it toward a down payment, or stick the winnings in an accou t to draw from as a mortgage payment, but since it's profit from gambling, it obviously cannot be considered income when determining what you qualify for.

For example, someone working at McDonald's for $26k per year who wins $50k from a scratch-off ticket won't be viewed as a $75k annual income

Does that make sense?

It does and correct. Although I have seen a couple instances with professional gamblers work out but it was funky.

*Don't burn your old house down to "free up cash" ;)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have a solution to all of these worries....

Just pay cash for your new home. See, I told you it was easy.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I think I have done all of those to my mortgage guy at one time or another.

Some of these 'donts' are really 'make sure you have paperwork to prove' items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom