• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Bringing this one wayyyy back from the dead...

Anyone heard anything about this coming back up anytime soon? I can't find anything online, which probably isn't a good thing.

Finally interested in getting some suppression so thought I'd at least ask.
    It's dead. If you're political, keep up the pressure on whichever organizations you deal with to get it resurrected. While you're doing that, go ahead and buy a suppressor or three. Some reasons to buy a suppressor or three now:

1.) Six months is annoying but still faster than waiting for a dead bill to go anywhere.

2.) Even if the bill does eventually pass, prices will not go down immediately. In fact they will likely go up for awhile in response to demand. Everything will be out of stock and on backorder, too.

3.) If suppressors do get deregulated, Maryland will likely outlaw them or put some other onerous burden on owning them. For safety. Grandfathering would be likely, or you could sell out of state in a hot market (remember, suppressors will be scarce at first due to increased demand, so it'd be a seller's market).

4.) Silencershop affiliates and independent stores (like 2A Sales and Supply . . . Hint hint) make it really easy to do the paperwork. So all you're really out is the $200 tax. Which even if HPA passes, no one is getting back. But the $200 additional cost is almost certainly still cheaper than overpaying right AFTER HPA passes. Which it probably won't, because it's dead.

5.) Owning suppressors now will give you the self discipline needed to avoid costly mistakes if HPA (better yet: SHARE) does pass. Everyone else will be blowing their savings on cans that are even more overpriced than they are now. You can wait out the initial demand spike and then take advantage of much much lower prices when supply becomes plentiful and the barrier to entry is low.

6.) Suppressors are fun. They make shooting safer and more pleasant, and they are good conversation starters.

I took advantage of the sales slump last year and don't regret it at all. I am waiting on my 8th and final suppressor stamp to clear. Should be in the next couple weeks. I'll have to wait for awhile after that if I decide I need more, since I got a job in Virginia and we are moving out of Maryland soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom