• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Love this bow. Dedicating this year to learning Gao Ying form. On my third week learning now with the help of the book "The Way of Archery" and emailing with it co-author Justin Ma. It's a Chinese military Archery manual compounded in 1637 and translated to English for the first time in recent years. Great stuff.

828ac6051c3f772ccb6210b8848d9d59.jpg

364430e5427005bd17e9daa6822ed8ce.jpg

--Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Is that bow traditional wood and fiberglass and with static ears? Looks kind of aggressive for just wood. Looks real interesting, who made it?

Shooting with a thumb ring I see. You are shooting with an eastern style release and might consider shooting off the right side. The mongols and step archers shot from the right side of the bow if right handed. It is a smoother transition from quiver to bow and explained here.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Is that bow traditional wood and fiberglass and with static ears? Looks kind of aggressive for just wood. Looks real interesting, who made it?

Shooting with a thumb ring I see. You are shooting with an eastern style release and might consider shooting off the right side. The mongols and step archers shot from the right side of the bow if right handed. It is a smoother transition from quiver to bow and explained here.

It's made by Alibow, its wood laminate with a bamboo core, hardwood siyahs, and coated with clear glass. Being a lefty I'm shooting off the left side of the bow. It's been a terrific learning experience and I am HOOKED

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Cool, Justin Ma is actually a family friend of ours and he gave me a copy of his book. I shot with him at the Adelphi archery range a few years ago when he was visiting home for a bit. He and his brother had their traditional bows.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Cool, Justin Ma is actually a family friend of ours and he gave me a copy of his book. I shot with him at the Adelphi archery range a few years ago when he was visiting home for a bit. He and his brother had their traditional bows.

So jealous! He's been a huge help! Seems like such a good guy.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Pics of your thumb ring setup please.

What grain weight arrows are you using and have you chronographed it at all? Or know what they do chrono at.

So the glove is totally just a beginning point. I wanted to see how I would take to thumb release.

https://www.3riversarchery.com/thumb-release-leather-archery-shooting-glove.html

cfbe0cd2c6c541531472c5df8dcee8e8.jpg

I really want to pick up a Vermil Victory ring sold through cinnabar bow. I can't find my calipers though and need to swing by Lowes and grab a measurement for it.

I believe I'm shooting arrows around 430 grain, ~32". I'm not sure what it chronos at, but it's fast. It's makes 30# @28" but I pull to 30" where it stacks to about 45#. They come in a range of weights. They're typically made to order unless they have your exact order in stock. Come from China where the bowyer lives and take a little over a month to get to your door in the US.

Here's a couple shots of the traditional bamboo arrows I had them make for this bow :
    5d36b5b2c600645d2cabeb0f5661d9b6.jpg

a044dfe96083852d52b1f79e21a83a9b.jpg

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    Very nice set up thought about adding Yumi to my many shooting styles. I'm old school on safety that's why I asked about wrist/forearm guard,crap happens.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Very nice set up thought about adding Yumi to my many shooting styles. I'm old school on safety that's why I asked about wrist/forearm guard,crap happens.

Ohhh!! Haha yeah, I forced myself to learn to shoot this without the guards, sticking to the traditional roots. But! I NEED one with my 6' Hickory Longbow. No questions about that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom