• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    So I am having a small issue. AR15 failing to feed first round. Seat the mag, rack the charging handle and the round gets stuck between the BCG and the chamber. The ammo is Frontier 223. I swapped out three different mags and all had the same effect. Every round. However loading American Eagle 5.56 it has no issues. This is not a new build, just never used the Frontier ammo before. It's always been American Eagle or Winchester

I've looked at the feed ramps they look OK, seem to be a smooth transition from ramp to chamber.

Any thoughts?

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Plenty of reasons why you would have issues. Generally, a rifle that operates properly will run the vast majority of ammunition. Ammunition becomes an easy scapegoat for AR issues.

If you can take some pics of the chamber/feed ramps and give some info on your BCG, buffer, buffer spring, barrel, etc...maybe someone will be able to provide some feedback.

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    Plenty of reasons why you would have issues. Generally, a rifle that operates properly will run the vast majority of ammunition. Ammunition becomes an easy scapegoat for AR issues.

If you can take some pics of the chamber/feed ramps and give some info on your BCG, buffer, buffer spring, barrel, etc...maybe someone will be able to provide some feedback.

Thanks! Info below:

HncDDs7

The pic is kind of blurry, took it through my boroscope. Gonna see if I can't get a better quality one up.

The upper is a Davidson Defense, came as a completed upper (ie. barrel, buffer/tube etc). About two years ago I had a LGS replace the standard handguard with a free float. I remember them telling me they had to add some spacers.

Like I said in the original post, there have never been feed issues up until now, maybe about 1500 rounds through it. I seem to recall maybe a round or two in the past with a failure to feed but nothing like this.

Attachments

• Snap_001.jpg
      Snap_001.jpg
      48.5 KB · Views: 526

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Doesn't look like it has any reason to get hung up on the feed ramps based on what you're saying. Can't really tell from the pic but it's an easy test. Just take a ballpoint pen and if you feel it catch on the ridge it could be an issue.

Do you have another completed lower you can try that upper on? Maybe a spare buffer and buffer spring?

I've used that ammunition and it always feeds fine for me. Bad bullet batch? Maybe they were placed in the casing improperly?

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    x2 on Frontier ammo being the most likely problem.

I have heard many horror stories. in this case, I would measure the OAL of the frontier vs AE or Win. betcha the frontier is longer (and probably out of spec)

if it feeds AE (federal) and Winchester just fine, then just feed it Federal and Winchester. no big loss there

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    did you go back and try your old ammo after you got these problems with the frontier?

Yeah. Started with the Frontier. After about 6 or 7 rounds of straight failure moved onto the AE and those fed with zero issue. That being said the Frontier is slightly longer.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Does it happen when you use the bolt release paddle instead of the charging handle to chamber the first round?

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    How much is "slightly"?

called it. round is too long and is causing a 3point jam. round is too long to clear the feed lips while angling up into the chamber, so it nose dives into the feed ramp.

rounds are probably too long because they are overcharged, and the bullet cannot seat any further

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    So I am curious, what cartridges (62 or 75gr per chance?) and how much "longer" are we talking about?

Peculiar:

55gr
    The frontier seems to be hit or miss on size...
    2.17" and some measure 2.19/2.20. The ones measuring longer you can see the crimping around the base of the bullet. Like it's not seated all the way.

All the casings measure 1.74".

Looks like the fail to feeds were of both lengths

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Peculiar:

55gr
    The frontier seems to be hit or miss on size...
    2.17" and some measure 2.19/2.20. The ones measuring longer you can see the crimping around the base of the bullet. Like it's not seated all the way.

All the casings measure 1.74".

Looks like the fail to feeds were of both lengths

223/556 is supposed to be 57.4 mm, thats about 2.259 in.

2.17 seems to me way off, almost 2mm off.. perhaps you mismeasured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom