• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iamdachampion

Oct 28, 2019
    Hey Everyone!

First post here.

I have been looking into the SBR game and while I know the pistol brace is what everyone recommends, I don't like the idea of the investment resting on an ATF letter (just my personal opinion and preference). The 29" OAL is mildly infuriating, to say the least, and I was curious about the process of permanently attaching it, as well as the worth of utilizing a suppressor to add to the OAL. Most other forums say it is a terrible idea because their state does not have the OAL requirement. How do we citizens of the Peoples Republic of Maryland feel about permanent suppressors?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    lots of potential problems, basically if the supressor had an issue or was damaged(baffle strike) and had to get repaired might be an issue as it was "modified". Will be tough if you want to clean it where access to the back might be needed, and if the tube is removable, probably won't count as "permanently attached". Of course a serviceable integral suppressor doesn't have these drawbacks, and could potentially satisfy the OAL requirement when dissasembled(Gemtech integra would). IMO best bet is to either SBR and keep mindful of state regs on OAL, or for now, go the brace/pistol route, and if something changes, easy enough to remove the brace from the tube until you can form1 an SBR.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    All of the above.

I would only note that some suppressors (Griffin GP5 and GP7) come with a pre-drilled hole for permanent attachment. Rifle-caliber suppressors are more or less self cleaning. For $500 you can also get the Hornday ultrasonic cleaner that is large enough for an entire rifle - it will certainly clean a suppressed upper. Pistol caliber suppressors (9mm, 22LR, etc) however do need to be disassembled and the baffles cleaned.

The other thing is be ultra careful about barrel length vs suppressor rating. Its its integral, make sure the suppressor is full auto rated for the caliber your shooting, otherwise those mag dumps may become deeply problematic. Some rifle caliber suppressors for example are only rated for 11.5" 223 barrel and above.

Personally I would go with direct thread and a brace, it will give you more flexibility, but thats me.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    I would look at attaching a sleeve to the barrel, that the silencer sits inside and than screws down to the barrel, it would require some custom work such as moving the barrel shoulder back, and making a custom sleeve for the silencer to sit inside. But the sleeve would be pinned and welded to the barrel to bring it to length.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    29" is not a huge issue. An AR with a 10.5" barrel meets the requirements.

Add a 5" suppressor and you are at the same length as a non-SBR.

Doing two stamps means you and shoot the SBR unsuppressed. As was as using the suppressor on more than one firearm.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I would look at attaching a sleeve to the barrel, that the silencer sits inside and than screws down to the barrel, it would require some custom work such as moving the barrel shoulder back, and making a custom sleeve for the silencer to sit inside. But the sleeve would be pinned and welded to the barrel to bring it to length.

i do not see how that would be legal if anything might be considered a flash hider.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I don't think using a pinned suppressor to get past the OAL floor is necessarily a bad idea, but you'll need to think hard about what can you're getting and how you're attaching it. I've been very tempted to do this for stuff like the X95 SBR, where I could get it to 29" with the Radical RF556 or similar.

Something where you can unscrew the end cap and dump out the baffles would be very helpful. A can like the Griffin Paladin 5 would be optimal, except for the price.

Of course, you could also just pin on the cheapest thing you can find, do a concentricity test, and hope your ammo stays stabilized. It is not tremendously difficult to unfix a fixed suppressor if it takes tube damage, especially if you did a pin and weld. Where you're going to have problems is the gun that's left over - it's either an illegal/unregistered SBR, or it's below the MD OAL floor. Having a backup plan ready, even if it's something as stupid as a fake can, might be advisable.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    A supressor is in fact a flash hider in MDstan. A sleeve might be. But the law says detachable mag plus "2" evil features. So if you avoid a folding stock, its gtg.
    The sleeve is what it is, it is not a functional part of the barrel good luck convincing a court that 11.5 inch barrel with a sleeve attached actual muzzle and the sleeve in all likely hood is going to be twice the diameter of the barrel is part of the muzzle.

Bananas79

Apr 11, 2021
    Hey Slimjim! -- would it be possible to elaborate on this more? All this crap going on has me stressed. Have several that are now problematic with MD OAL. Really dont want to give up my Diablo which is 7.5 But next can I was going to get was for this rig. Was looking at permanent suppressor options (though struggling with that... only know of griffin's x2 options) ---

But would really like to understand this concept you were describing. Guess Im not clear what this 'sleeve' is or would custom work move the barrel shoulder back.

Thanks!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Like this (not my pic - just something I stole off the internet). Weld on a tube as a shroud that your removeable suppressor fits inside. There are some commercial manufacturers that do this already with barrels to keep them over 16" but I can't seem to find any at the moment.
    Screenshot_2015-07-16-08-43-40.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom