• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrbob1000

Nov 5, 2018
    Annapolis
    This highlights a major issue with getting the word out. Local hunting clubs should be sending out a newsletter and information about how to reach out to their lawmakers. I can imagine a lot of retired folks who depend on hunting to put food on the table would be vocal about the proposed bills.

I just feel like we would be better served if the public was more informed when these types of things come around. Time has shown TV news isn't willing to pick things like this up, so an alternative means may be in order.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    This highlights a major issue with getting the word out. Local hunting clubs should be sending out a newsletter and information about how to reach out to their lawmakers. I can imagine a lot of retired folks who depend on hunting to put food on the table would be vocal about the proposed bills.

I just feel like we would be better served if the public was more informed when these types of things come around. Time has shown TV news isn't willing to pick things like this up, so an alternative means may be in order.

I don't know the answer, but I wonder how many people who hunt for the purpose of putting food on the table join clubs to do so or if they just get out there and hunt when they can.

part of Post #4
    If no one at the Elk Hunters banquet knows you can bet that no one at the squirrel hunters banquet knows about it.

part of post #5
    Most real rural folks , and that’s who a majority of the hunters are, don’t spend their time trying to figure out what Annapolis is doing and to be honest there’s so little news, print or otherwise, about what the reps are proposing that if your not into spending a bunch of time looking into it then you won’t know.

Most people who own guns don't know about what is going on, so how does the message get to them if not for msm?

Clubs, internet= still a really small part of the gun owning population.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Kind of reminds me of the US vs Miller (1939) case where some of the arresting Feds had no idea that the short barreled shotgun was illegal.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I don't know the answer, but I wonder how many people who hunt for the purpose of putting food on the table join clubs to do so or if they just get out there and hunt when they can.

part of Post #4

part of post #5

Most people who own guns don't know about what is going on, so how does the message get to them if not for msm?

Clubs, internet= still a really small part of the gun owning population.

I have said it before, we need to steal from the dems old playbook. Where I am from the dems use to ( I have no idea if they still do) have dinners and dances. I am not saying we need to do that but somehow we need to do something like a dinner /shoot per election district a few times per year scheduled around the elections and the recent mga sessions so “ our” people can be kept much more informed. Then maybe a once a year dinner/shoot to bring our people in the districts together.

I don’t know how to do this but it’s just an idea I have always had.

Someone much smarter than me may be able to say whether or not this is ever possible.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Kind of reminds me of the US vs Miller (1939) case where some of the arresting Feds had no idea that the short barreled shotgun was illegal.

I'm not familiar with with US vs Miller, but what I'm taking away from your post is that if some of the Feds have no idea about all of the gun laws that have actually passed and are in place, how can "john squirrel hunter" know about talk of laws that are not even passed as of yet.

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    Most people on the other side have no idea what laws are proposed either, including people pretty high up in the "D" party. I pretty regularly talk to people who think we need more 'common sense gun control'. When I ask them for specifics, they almost always say we need to pass a law that is less restrictive than the laws already in place in MD.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

The issue, in my view and experience, is that most clubs that have a 501(c)(3) do not want to post anything political in either their e-mail blasts or newsleters for fear of jeopordizing their 501(c)(3) status. Even though doing so, would not, in any way, jeopordize it. The club I am a member will not post any of it for just that reason. If I want to make people aware, I have to show up at a monthly club meeting where less than 10% of the membership shows up, and give brief heads up on the bills, with very little detail.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If you don’t spend much time online, you would not be aware of the latest attempts on infringement. I have seen positively zero mention of any of this outside of this forum and a few other online locations I frequent. I am on a few republican mailing lists after emailing over the years and I have seen zero mention of any of the latest anti-2A crusade either.

For those of you with longer-term perspective of MD politics, has the MD Republican Party always shied away from alerting the base about potential new gun control or is this a position (of not engaging in a fight at the party level and leaving it to individual candidates) that the party has adopted in the Hogan era?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I know one gun store that makes a point to tell customers about proposed regulation that could impact how long guns are purchased in the state. I hope others are doing this as well. I would imagine (maybe too optimistically) that some of the private ranges would post the MSI alert flyer at eye level for those entering or exiting the range. I can see TMGN in Frederick potentially doing this, but not sure that Heritage would.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Michael S

Nov 6, 2012
    Towson
    I thank you all for this forum, I was in Florida for a few months and found out from information everyone provided on here. I started talking to my friends and family in Maryland and not a single person new about what was being proposed. The one response I got from a nephew was I heard on local news they were proposing some new laws but he had no idea he would be a felon if they pass it. He happen to have bought his AR15 after 2013. I would think that at least the locals would talk about this on the air but no. I do wonder if this passes if they will tell people then they are committing a crime by doing nothing wrong.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Not only have I ran into this with hunters, but with gun collectors and some LEOs. And then when I start explaining these bills and the ramifications if passed, some tries to argue with me and tell me “That’s not what it means.” Or “It’s not going to pass.” Pisses me off because people tries to school me on something that they didn’t know existed until I told them

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Not directed at you at all (I belonged to RMEF for yrs.) ,but I'd lay blame on DU,RMEF,NWTF,etc. for not informing their members of this stuff.:sad20:

One of the guys worked the BowHunters Society Banquet on Saturday and talking to him on Sunday, was the 1st time he heard about any of proposed Annapolis bills.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Concesus is..... we need to figure out ways to do a much better job of getting the word out. I ran in to a guy who is an avid hunter, mid 40's, used to guide waterfowl parties on the Eastern Shore. He still shoots quite a bit both competitively and for hunting, he knew exactly nothing about any new legislation.

Nothing.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Most cops don't know current MD gun law either.

Still happens today. According to a PG cop I know most PG cops aren't very much up on MD gun law ... other cops call him asking him gun law questions, because they know him as a gun guy and shooter; sometimes he has to call me to know what to tell them.

But it cuts both ways. A friend of mine who has a commercial pest control business was stopped once because an AACo cop saw a rifle barrel in his truck cab. Had all his stuff spread out on the median of I-97 one afternoon until another AACo cop returned the first cop's call and explained MD law to him.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Not only have I ran into this with hunters, but with gun collectors and some LEOs. And then when I start explaining these bills and the ramifications if passed, some tries to argue with me and tell me “That’s not what it means.” Or “It’s not going to pass.” Pisses me off because people tries to school me on something that they didn’t know existed until I told them

I’ve had the same experience as you. In 2013, I had several fuds tell me they didn’t care because it didn’t affect them, as they don’t own, or plan to own “assault rifles”. They would get pissed when I’d tell them that it was just the beginning and “ their” guns were next. They didn’t want to here it at all, and acted like I was crazy. Even had one tell me he didn’t think anyone should have a handgun, because they aren’t useful for hunting. I informed him the 2nd amendment wasn’t about hunting. He just stared at me. SMH
    Some people just don’t get it. I’ve tried taking to those types, but it’s hard to get a lot of them to listen, or care.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    I’ve had the same experience as you. In 2013, I had several fuds tell me they didn’t care because it didn’t affect them, as they don’t own, or plan to own “assault rifles”. They would get pissed when I’d tell them that it was just the beginning and “ their” guns were next. They didn’t want to here it at all, and acted like I was crazy. Even had one tell me he didn’t think anyone should have a handgun, because they aren’t useful for hunting. I informed him the 2nd amendment wasn’t about hunting. He just stared at me. SMH
    Some people just don’t get it. I’ve tried taking to those types, but it’s hard to get a lot of them to listen, or care.

I wish more people understood the reason for the 2nd amendment.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Not directed at you at all (I belonged to RMEF for yrs.) ,but I'd lay blame on DU,RMEF,NWTF,etc. for not informing their members of this stuff.:sad20:

Me too! It was my first DU event and I was amazed at just how many folks there were not aware of what was going on in Annapolis in regard to 2A! I suggested to the DU representative that maybe they need to send out a legislative blast to the members. He did not seem that interested.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If it helps any I know a couple of the MDA crowd (unfortunately one is my mother-in-law). They aren’t aware of any of these bills either. It appears to be only ancore if those nuts that are on top of any of the bills this year. Nothing making the headlines so there isn’t any big upswell of them trying to push more infringements.

Which doesn’t mean the pols won’t arent still pushing stuff, but there is no fire and heat from some of their base pushing them in to it. Just their normal crazy and Bloomberg money. So they don’t have much political riding on getting anything passed. Probably more willing to pull stuff for when they need a good piece of feel good legislation later and/or amend things to seem like they are “compromising” in only restricting rights a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom