• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    I overheard some people talking about the security around the MSP Licensing Portal and whether information that is stored in their database is secure or not. Since we all know it's not a question of if it gets hacked but when, what recourse do we have if this information were to be released on the Interwebs? I could see an overzealous leftist Democrat making this information public to try and further demonize & attack lawful gun owners. It would really suck to have all of our personal details along with every app we ever submitted out there for everyone to search and see! It got me thinking what can we do to protect ourselves? What legal recourse would we have?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Back in 2013 there was a lot of concern that non-MSP individuals were handling the excessive amounts of applications to be Not Disapproved.

The stink got ripe enough that MD offered everyone a one-year free lifelock subscription. I don't know if anyone's data was in fact compromised.

Regarding the OP's question, however, I have no answers.

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    One free take off in a helicopter for the person who releases the info. Landing will be separate from the helicopter.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Back in 2013 there was a lot of concern that non-MSP individuals were handling the excessive amounts of applications to be Not Disapproved.

The stink got ripe enough that MD offered everyone a one-year free lifelock subscription. I don't know if anyone's data was in fact compromised.

Regarding the OP's question, however, I have no answers.

wait, what? I never got such an offer.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Incidentally, the portal wont be "breached." This info will be stolen by a corrupt officer.

I think it would take a lot of balls personally to steal information and then try to rob people who are armed at home. Now, using the info to decide who not to rob seems more likely. Seems like a lot of work when the average thug is robbing people for cellphones on the street.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Well I see maybe all these laws being made and the calls for Dox'ing and other intimidation factors in place by radical Democrats it would point me in that direction . IMHO & Alleged

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    wait, what? I never got such an offer.

Well, it was mentioned. Perhaps they cheaped out on the offer, waited for actual cases to develop? I recall it was an issue at the time, but it was overshadowed by the several-month wait for Not Disapproval that we all suffered through. I wonder how they will crap things up this time?

jrh0341

Jul 20, 2017
    I think it would take a lot of balls personally to steal information and then try to rob people who are armed at home. Now, using the info to decide who not to rob seems more likely. Seems like a lot of work when the average thug is robbing people for cellphones on the street.

That's the long and short of it. The person with the knowledge and willingness to do even low level hacking isn't going out to rob people. They're too busy skimming credit cards, paypal accounts, etc getting far more money for far less financial and legal risk.

Now, would said hacker sell the names and addresses of every gun owner in the state to a third party who does intend to do rip offs? Yeah possibly. Especially for rare, hard to find stuff with a possible resale value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom