• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    are they still accepting applications? if so how do I apply. this is new to me.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    are they still accepting applications? if so how do I apply. this is new to me.

No. Until existing orders are filled no additional applications are being accepted for the 1911s. It will probably be another year or two before they'll open the process back up as additional pistols become available.

You missed the boat on the initial interest by six months. Applications were only accepted for 30 days from last September.

Matt

38super

Jan 8, 2016
    Montgomery County
    I don’t get what the big deal is? Why not just pay for two or $300 more and get something hand picked from a gun show or shop? I picked up a nice looking shooter grade 1911 for 820 out the door just a few weeks ago
    I bought garands and 1903 and 1917’s from there because they were good deals but I don’t see this as being a great deal

I have several USGI 1911's, I wanted a to have a CMP one with the certificate to go with the rest of my collection.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I don’t get what the big deal is? Why not just pay for two or $300 more and get something hand picked from a gun show or shop? I picked up a nice looking shooter grade 1911 for 820 out the door just a few weeks ago
    I bought garands and 1903 and 1917’s from there because they were good deals but I don’t see this as being a great deal

It's an investment. You can flip a CMP Garand for a clear $200-300 profit. More for a Correct Grade. A 1911 with CMP paperwork? I'd expect those to go for $1400 or so right now...and more later. Think of it as a CD that you can hold in your hand and shoot.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    It's an investment. You can flip a CMP Garand for a clear $200-300 profit. More for a Correct Grade. A 1911 with CMP paperwork? I'd expect those to go for $1400 or so right now...and more later. Think of it as a CD that you can hold in your hand and shoot.

Just so everyone will know, CMP is banning for life those they catch buying these for the purpose of flipping them for profit. The intent of the program is not so that unscrupulous people can immediately make money, it is so that people can own and appreciate a part of history. There are people who have already been caught deliberately flipping for profit and have been banned. CMP does look for intentional abusers. Obviously, they are not looking for those who have an unfortunate turn in life and are forced to sell of necessity.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Just so everyone will know, CMP is banning for life those they catch buying these for the purpose of flipping them for profit. The intent of the program is not so that unscrupulous people can immediately make money, it is so that people can own and appreciate a part of history. There are people who have already been caught deliberately flipping for profit and have been banned. CMP does look for intentional abusers. Obviously, they are not looking for those who have an unfortunate turn in life and are forced to sell of necessity.

While not as long as others, I've been involved with the CMP for almost 15 yrs and have bought quite a few firearms from them. When you walk the aisles at gunshows, like Chantilly, you can see that there are a whole lot of folks who bought guns and are openly selling them for a profit. Ultimately, it's impossible for the CMP to police what happens to their guns after sale to individuals. When Garands were available, it was common knowledge on the CMP's own forum that some individuals were signing up whole families so they could all buy the max quota to then re-sell them.

JoeR

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    While not as long as others, I've been involved with the CMP for almost 15 yrs and have bought quite a few firearms from them. When you walk the aisles at gunshows, like Chantilly, you can see that there are a whole lot of folks who bought guns and are openly selling them for a profit. Ultimately, it's impossible for the CMP to police what happens to their guns after sale to individuals. When Garands were available, it was common knowledge on the CMP's own forum that some individuals were signing up whole families so they could all buy the max quota to then re-sell them.

JoeR

It is not as hard as you think when the seller has it posted on GunBroker complete with the CMP certificate. Just compare the dates between shipped on to listed on. They may not be able to catch all of them but, they can catch some.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    It is not as hard as you think when the seller has it posted on GunBroker complete with the CMP certificate. Just compare the dates between shipped on to listed on. They may not be able to catch all of them but, they can catch some.

Good! I hadn't thought to compare those two dates and use that as the assumption for "flipping" as opposed to collecting. I've seen lots of guns at the Chantilly show that still had the original CMP hangtags still displayed.

JoeR

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I have a Rock Island M1911A1. It's a shooter.

But it isn't an issue Colt M1911. It doesn't have the history. They are making Rock Islands. They aren't making Colts.

It isn't about a "deal". It is about having a piece of history. It is something that won't come again and will only get rarer over time. Yes there will be thousands of them that will depress the prices on the current market for real issue M1911s. But after that dies off and the supply dries up again, the guns will acquire value for the history they represent and the ever-increasing rarity that will follow.

Have you seen prices on Mosin-Nagants lately? $50 rifles are worth hundred now. All because the common imports have gotten rare and fewer and fewer are out there now. In 50 or 100 years those will become valuable collector pieces like WW1-era Springfields.

I want a CMP Colt M1911 because it is a piece of history. I'll shoot it a couple times, put it in the safe and shoot my Rock Island. But I will have that piece of history and carry on the continuity of its preservation. Half the guns in my safe are there for that exact reason. To experience what came before me and to preserve it for a future generation.

Or maybe I just don't need a long winded reason. How about just because I want one and don't really care about the perception of getting a good deal?

Matt

I didn’t realize the cmp cornered the market on “pieces of history” and 1911s. You should tell gunshop owners and gun show sellers their 1911s just don’t have that special warm and fuzzy feeling only a true piece of history can provide, which only the cmp can sell. :crazy:

Jul 1, 2012
    That's kind of my thought on it too...
    Any 1911 or -A1 marked as US property has some history to it, and I'd rather have an all-original gun than a mix-master.
    The CMP guns have been rebuilt, some several times so maybe that adds extra history each time :)
    The price they're selling for seems fair though.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    That's kind of my thought on it too...
    Any 1911 or -A1 marked as US property has some history to it, and I'd rather have an all-original gun than a mix-master.
    The CMP guns have been rebuilt, some several times so maybe that adds extra history each time :)
    The price they're selling for seems fair though.

I agree that they are fair priced at 1050? i think it is. I have bought many 1911's between 800-1100 so to me its on the high side of what i have paid for the others but still a Fair price

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I agree that they are fair priced at 1050? i think it is. I have bought many 1911's between 800-1100 so to me its on the high side of what i have paid for the others but still a Fair price

You also have CMP standing behind it. Sure it isn’t a “lifetime warranty”, but unless their 1911s are different from anything else they’ve sold, if you’ve got problems with it in the first year or so, give them a call and they will generally make it right.

Can’t say the same about any individual or smaller dealer I’ve ever bought something from.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Got a shipping notice today. No tracking info, just notification. Email comes from CMP1911Notification@thecmp.org

Appplied in the fall.

Random number #29xx received Dec 4th via email.

Got the call from CMP (260 Area Code) Thursday February 7th, 1130-ish. They left a message.

Called CMP Friday Feb 8th, placed an order for a $1050 Service Grade, the only variety they had available. Confirmed my FFL, and gave my credit card #, which hasn’t been charged yet. The woman at CMP said it would be up to 60 days before it ships.

CMP charged my card today. $1,050 charge from 1911 PISTOL PROGRAM.

Good luck to everyone still waiting, especially all you guys who have to hide stuff like that from your wives! :lol2:
    Pistol arrived at Baltimore’s Best Pawn March 7th. Checked it out and did paperwork last Saturday.

It’s a Colt frame with an Ithaca slide. Obviously rebuilt and refinished. A few spots of what look like rust on light gray metal. But well within my expectations, and exactly what I wanted - a shootable piece of living history.

Attachments

• F878C3A0-D4AA-4D57-8337-BBDCA118113E.jpg
      F878C3A0-D4AA-4D57-8337-BBDCA118113E.jpg
      126.5 KB · Views: 462

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    I’m 3646. Got the call yesterday. Today I got an email saying my FFL wasn’t included in the packet. So I stopped by 2A to have them email them another copy. It said I have 5 days to get it in before being skipped over. So now I’m stressing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom