• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mendozaco

Dec 5, 2013
    Rockville, MD
    I got my number on the 2/19. Early 7000's

"We will contact you as your order progresses. It will possibly take up to 90 days or more. Please do not contact us at this time."

How close are they to the 90 days?

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Sadly, I'm in the same (no number) boat.

JoeR

You know I got lucky and received one of the M1 carbines from CMP a few years ago so looks like my good luck was spent on that. I too have no number; time to move on. I don't think there is any guarantee that a second batch will even happen, and if it does, if there will be enough for everyone.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Appplied in the fall.

Random number #29xx received Dec 4th via email.

Got the call from CMP (260 Area Code) Thursday February 7th, 1130-ish. They left a message.

Called CMP Friday Feb 8th, placed an order for a $1050 Service Grade, the only variety they had available. Confirmed my FFL, and gave my credit card #, which hasn’t been charged yet. The woman at CMP said it would be up to 60 days before it ships.
    CMP charged my card today. $1,050 charge from 1911 PISTOL PROGRAM.

Good luck to everyone still waiting, especially all you guys who have to hide stuff like that from your wives! :lol2:

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Appplied in the fall.

Random number #29xx received Dec 4th via email.

Got the call from CMP (260 Area Code) Thursday February 7th, 1130-ish. They left a message.

Called CMP Friday Feb 8th, placed an order for a $1050 Service Grade, the only variety they had available. Confirmed my FFL, and gave my credit card #, which hasn’t been charged yet. The woman at CMP said it would be up to 60 days before it ships.
    Got a shipping notice today. No tracking info, just notification. Email comes from CMP1911Notification@thecmp.org

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Good luck to everyone still waiting, especially all you guys who have to hide stuff like that from your wives! :lol2:

I'd be tempted, but I got burned BAD when she found out I had hid a few purchases from her (okay, a LOT of purchases. I mean, they were mostly $200-300 other than my M1 Garand from CMP for my 35th that my wife knew about, but when your wife thinks you bought 3 guns in a year and you actually bought like 10 and she finds out about 6...deep feces ensues).

So not going to do that again. She had sort of said she didn't want to know about my gun stuff, but apparently that didn't mean being kept completely in the dark. Now she has decided she wants to know EVERYTHING.

I am sure the pendulum will swing the other way, especially once our youngest is out of the house in a few years.

I do really want to try to run entering the lottery for a CMP 1911. She has finally relented and decided she is okay if I keep the Colt OP that I bought at a gun show and she found out about a few months back. She knew about my P1 and thought that was my only handgun.

She is NOT thrilled about me owning handguns and it was a stretch for her to allow the P1.

So I am thinking I'll wait a year or two and if CMP is still doing the 1911 lottery (or just selling them because they have enough) begging her to let me enter it. But I am feeling like my gun goodwill is going to be used up and more than that this year if this LGQL BS passes remotely as written. I am going to be begging her to let me buy 2 or 3 more rifles before October (I've got 3 modern rifles on my list that I really want eventually, everything else long gun wise is all C&R stuff. Okay, some day I've got a newer shotgun or two I'd like to get, but that stuff is years down the road).

I already sold off 3 guns and trying to sell a 4th for a bit of marital bliss (if you want a G1898 that is sporterized and probably needs rebarreling for real cheap, hit me up. It does group well enough for a 100yd deer rifle and is mechanically fine other than a fair amount of barrel corrosion. Receiver is in great shape)

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I got this today, so No pistol for me but they will call me next time IF they get more :rolleyes:

This email is to notify you that your order has been received and you have been assigned a number through the random number generating process. You will find your number listed below. At this time, we do not have enough 1911 type pistols to complete your order. Should the Army send us another shipment of sufficient quantity, we will use those 1911 type pistols to fill the next orders in line. Please do not contact us or reply to this email at this time.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I'd be tempted, but I got burned BAD when she found out I had hid a few purchases from her.

Your first mistake was letting her count.

Your second mistake was letting her have access to the safe.

Your third mistake was trying to hid things.

First rule of collecting is to amass enough guns that she doesn't care to count them anymore

Second rule of collecting is to keep stuff locked away so she has to go searching if she wants to see what you have

Third rule of collecting is to openly show things when you bring a new gun into the house. If she asks "where did you get that?!" You can use any of the following ruses:

• Oh, this old thing? I just got it back from the gunsmith. They were fixing the (insert random gun part here) for me.
    • Oh this? It's (insert random collector friend's name here), he thinks it's off zero, so he asked me to take it to the range and see what I think
    • Oh this? Yeah, I traded two of my (insert gun names here, even if they don't actually exist) for this from one of the guys at (insert random B/S/T forum here). You should be happy, this means fewer guns (Blatant lie, only works if you've moved past her counting).

The difficulty comes when you start collecting new safes to keep said acquisitions in. That said, you can claim they're for safe storage of ammo, which is not an outright lie.

Patrick F. McManus has written several essays on the subject and how to be successful in execution. ;)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Your first mistake was letting her count.

Your second mistake was letting her have access to the safe.

Your third mistake was trying to hid things.

First rule of collecting is to amass enough guns that she doesn't care to count them anymore

Second rule of collecting is to keep stuff locked away so she has to go searching if she wants to see what you have

Third rule of collecting is to openly show things when you bring a new gun into the house. If she asks "where did you get that?!" You can use any of the following ruses:

• Oh, this old thing? I just got it back from the gunsmith. They were fixing the (insert random gun part here) for me.
    • Oh this? It's (insert random collector friend's name here), he thinks it's off zero, so he asked me to take it to the range and see what I think
    • Oh this? Yeah, I traded two of my (insert gun names here, even if they don't actually exist) for this from one of the guys at (insert random B/S/T forum here). You should be happy, this means fewer guns (Blatant lie, only works if you've moved past her counting).

The difficulty comes when you start collecting new safes to keep said acquisitions in. That said, you can claim they're for safe storage of ammo, which is not an outright lie.

Patrick F. McManus has written several essays on the subject and how to be successful in execution. ;)

So true. No, I was an out right idiot. Took her to the range for the first time. She wanted something she could use if someone was breaking down the door. Shot my 10/22 first. Then I pulled out the Colt OP I had bought a couple of months before figuring a 6” 38sp is dead easy to load, point and shoot.

Oh right, I am not supposed to have it. And my wife knows little of guns, but she knew damned well I didn’t tell her I had bought a revolver when she had given me permission to buy my first handgun back in the spring.

That was a LONG drive home from the range along with demands to “open your F-ing safe!”

We’ve reached an accommodation again, but probably no new guns for me for awhile and I sold off a few (a couple I didn’t really need).

LGQL coming up might change that.

Also I am close to our of safe space and no fluffy way she will let me get another one any year soon.

Lastly I’ve only owned guns for 4 years. So she’s pretty pissed I went from a muzzleloader. Then to a ML, a shotgun and a 22. Then all that and a .308 in less than a year. And at one point she nailed me down and asked how many I owned and I choose not to lie and said 7. That was in year 2.

And she had to take her socks off to count how many were in the safe now (14 in sight and fortunately most of the handguns were tucked out of sight in the safe or I would have maybe been actually dead).

Sooo...

She has admitted her fear of guns is irrational and is working on it. But as she put it, “I am trying, but I still hate they are in the house and they scare me”.

I’ve also been instructed once the kids aren’t living under our roof she’ll probably take the attitude of “I don’t want to know. Don’t tell me. Don’t bankrupt use”.

But until then...

With.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I’ve also been instructed once the kids aren’t living under our roof she’ll probably take the attitude of “I don’t want to know. Don’t tell me. Don’t bankrupt use”.

But until then...

I've got a buddy that lives over in VA. Got his C&R license back in the good ol' days when Mosins were $60ea and Garands could still be had for $500 in pawn shops. He started buying before he and his wife got married, but didn't REALLY start until after he got a good paying .Gov job. He has at least one stack-on 10-gun safe in every closet in the house. He's run out of room, so he now puts them in anti-rust vacuum bags and hangs them in between the joists of his workshop. Guy literally has a drool-worth collection. My wife started getting on me about how my collection was growing and my buddy's wife pulled her aside and said, "Hey, trust me, I've got a lot of high school and college friends whose husbands have addictions that are just as expensive but way worse. Be glad it's not drugs, alcohol, or gambling, and if times get tight, he can always sell them."

My wife saw a lot more sense in it after that. I've dumped a few rifles I didn't need at a profit when we needed a little extra cash. While not a fan of my collecting per-se, she's definitely a lot more understanding now.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I don’t get what the big deal is? Why not just pay for two or $300 more and get something hand picked from a gun show or shop? I picked up a nice looking shooter grade 1911 for 820 out the door just a few weeks ago
    I bought garands and 1903 and 1917’s from there because they were good deals but I don’t see this as being a great deal

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I don’t get what the big deal is? Why not just pay for two or $300 more and get something hand picked from a gun show or shop? I picked up a nice looking shooter grade 1911 for 820 out the door just a few weeks ago
    I bought garands and 1903 and 1917’s from there because they were good deals but I don’t see this as being a great deal

I have a Rock Island M1911A1. It's a shooter.

But it isn't an issue Colt M1911. It doesn't have the history. They are making Rock Islands. They aren't making Colts.

It isn't about a "deal". It is about having a piece of history. It is something that won't come again and will only get rarer over time. Yes there will be thousands of them that will depress the prices on the current market for real issue M1911s. But after that dies off and the supply dries up again, the guns will acquire value for the history they represent and the ever-increasing rarity that will follow.

Have you seen prices on Mosin-Nagants lately? $50 rifles are worth hundred now. All because the common imports have gotten rare and fewer and fewer are out there now. In 50 or 100 years those will become valuable collector pieces like WW1-era Springfields.

I want a CMP Colt M1911 because it is a piece of history. I'll shoot it a couple times, put it in the safe and shoot my Rock Island. But I will have that piece of history and carry on the continuity of its preservation. Half the guns in my safe are there for that exact reason. To experience what came before me and to preserve it for a future generation.

Or maybe I just don't need a long winded reason. How about just because I want one and don't really care about the perception of getting a good deal?

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom