• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    Bad AdviceRob

Expunged means it is legally removed from your record.

Expunged means that you can legally answer 'no' to a "have you ever been convicted" question.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Rob: I don’t know where you got that info, but it is bad advice. If he ever is asked that question for anything that matters (immigration, ccw permit, clearance) he’d be much better off to disclose and explain.

Wheelman dan

Feb 26, 2018
    Some people are reporting HQL approval in days..... so you may know very soon.

Yea it would be great if I was one of them, but something tells me il be the 30 day guy lop... probably with a denied as well but you will know as soon as I do

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The crimes were two seperate misdemeanor possession of marijuana charges, mind you this was before under 10 grams was decriminalized. Received probation before judgment for one and guilty on the other. Completed all court orders and cases were closed in 2014. Max sentence was up to 2 years, but I served none. Both charges are now expunged and I have been told by my lawyer my gun rights should be restored through this process unless the expungment order explicitly states otherwise. I have no violent history or felonies. What do u think fabsroman?

Don't see where Form 4473 would say you are prohibited from possessing a firearm. Question becomes whether there is something in the Maryland law that would make you prohibited or something in the Maryland HQL law that would prevent you from getting an HQL. Remember, just because the federal government says you can buy a gun, a state can say you cannot. I don't have the time today to review the HQL law, but that would be what you need to look at.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Stagstalker is correct, law enforcement can always see what you were charged with, even after it is expunged.

Are you quoting something your attorney sent you? So what if Maryland enacted a law to allow for the expungement of police, conviction, and other official records for enumerated offenses?

You need to ask whether expungement of an offense means it is no longer a disqualifying offense for NICS.

Did you receive probation before judgment or probation after being found guilty and having a guilty verdict entered against you? There is a huge difference. Depending on the answer to that, the next step would be looking up the maximum sentence carried by the criminal charge.

Not enough information provided by you, and not enough time on my hands to go further with this.

Good luck and keep us posted regarding the final outcome.

I received numerous MD expungement notices over the years I was in law enforcement in Maryland.

If it is expunged, the records are removed, and everyone, down to the arresting officer is notified of the expungement, which means it should not even be discussed.

States can handle it differently with regard to sealing, removing and/or destroying records.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I received numerous MD expungement notices over the years I was in law enforcement in Maryland.

If it is expunged, the records are removed, and everyone, down to the arresting officer is notified of the expungement, which means it should not even be discussed.

States can handle it differently with regard to sealing, removing and/or destroying records.

Just because it shouldn't, does not mean it is so. Some people in Baltimore City shouldn't possess a firearm, but they do.

Yes, in a perfect world, once expunged it would be wiped from the face of the Earth. The law enforcement agencies, courts, etc. are supposed to remove all trace of the incident, and the court file is supposed to be shredded three (3) years after the exungement is granted.

Not posting this in response to what you have posted, but just as a resource for others regarding expungements:

https://mdcourts.gov/sites/default/...rtforms/joint/ccdccr072br.pdf/ccdccr072br.pdf

Wheelman dan

Feb 26, 2018
    Just because it shouldn't, does not mean it is so. Some people in Baltimore City shouldn't possess a firearm, but they do.

Yes, in a perfect world, once expunged it would be wiped from the face of the Earth. The law enforcement agencies, courts, etc. are supposed to remove all trace of the incident, and the court file is supposed to be shredded three (3) years after the exungement is granted.

Not posting this in response to what you have posted, but just as a resource for others regarding expungements:

https://mdcourts.gov/sites/default/...rtforms/joint/ccdccr072br.pdf/ccdccr072br.pdf

Thanks for your responses guys. Its my understanding that what A1Uniform stated is true, is should not even be discussed. An expungment of these misdemeanor charges should put me in the free and clear, from my lawyers mouth to you. With that being said what fabsroman said is equally true, just because it should be gone doesn't mean it is. Only time will tell at this point but im still waiting to here from some members in this situation! If you had misdomeanor charges that would normally prohibit you from obtaining a regulated firearm and or HQL expunged were you denied or passed!? Don't leave me in suspense here!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Thanks for your responses guys. Its my understanding that what A1Uniform stated is true, is should not even be discussed. An expungment of these misdemeanor charges should put me in the free and clear, from my lawyers mouth to you. With that being said what fabsroman said is equally true, just because it should be gone doesn't mean it is. Only time will tell at this point but im still waiting to here from some members in this situation! If you had misdomeanor charges that would normally prohibit you from obtaining a regulated firearm and or HQL expunged were you denied or passed!? Don't leave me in suspense here!

The law allowing these expungements was passed in 2016 IIRC. You literally could be the first one to try to get an HQL. We are all eagerly awaiting the outcome (and also hoping it turns out in your favor).

Be sure to join Maryland Shall issue and fight for your right to self defense in this state.

And if you do, you may be the first person to be an "expert" in something gun related (getting expungement and then HQL) in under 50 posts. You will do doubt, get a lot of questions on how-to so stick around.

Wheelman dan

Feb 26, 2018
    The law allowing these expungements was passed in 2016 IIRC. You literally could be the first one to try to get an HQL. We are all eagerly awaiting the outcome (and also hoping it turns out in your favor).

Be sure to join Maryland Shall issue and fight for your right to self defense in this state.

And if you do, you may be the first person to be an "expert" in something gun related (getting expungement and then HQL) in under 50 posts. You will do doubt, get a lot of questions on how-to so stick around.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, and after all the hoops I've jumped through just to get these off my record after the initial expungment requests got shot down I would be glad to help someone in my situation get past a similar issue, assuming it goes through and I'm gtg.

thanatron

MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2012
    I have a friend that I grew up with that had multiple DUI's, DUI related accidents, and did a combined 5+ years in Baltimore and Jessup prison for all the DUI's. He also had a domestic charge. All this was on MD casesearch.

I spent several hours one day and collected all the cases that were listed on casesearch, printed them up, and collected all the forms that were required to
    submit to the MD courts for expungment. All of this was done within last 2 with him hoping to get an HQL and to be able to purchase a handgun. His wife submitted the money and requests w/ out a lawyer and after a few months the casesearch cases were all removed.

I took him to worth-a-shot where he did his HQL paperwork.. waited close to 20 days IIRC and received his HQL card in the mail. He completed his MD hunter safety course in 2012.

He has not tried to purchase a firearm since receiving his HQL.

Just wanted to pass this info on.. I was certain he would not be approved.

Wheelman dan

Feb 26, 2018
    I have a friend that I grew up with that had multiple DUI's, DUI related accidents, and did a combined 5+ years in Baltimore and Jessup prison for all the DUI's. He also had a domestic charge. All this was on MD casesearch.

I spent several hours one day and collected all the cases that were listed on casesearch, printed them up, and collected all the forms that were required to
    submit to the MD courts for expungment. All of this was done within last 2 with him hoping to get an HQL and to be able to purchase a handgun. His wife submitted the money and requests w/ out a lawyer and after a few months the casesearch cases were all removed.

I took him to worth-a-shot where he did his HQL paperwork.. waited close to 20 days IIRC and received his HQL card in the mail. He completed his MD hunter safety course in 2012.

Thanks for the response thanatron, this is exactly the type of info I was looking for. Glad to hear your buddy was able to get over at least two major MD hurtles with the expungment and HQL, I would assume purchasing at that point would be a fairly low chance of a "denied". Also where can I find a friend who is willing to spend THEIR time helping ME go through this painstaking process!! You are truly a saint and should show this message to your friend and make him buy u a beer for all of your help.

Wheelman dan

Feb 26, 2018
    Alright guys and gals I have an update for you. As of this morning (3-1-18) all but 4 items on the mdsp hql requirment checklist have been "complete". NICS, CJIS, DJS, and secondary review are all marked "incomplete" still. I haven't lost all hope because I've seen plenty of guys get incomplete marks in these areas and later in the day they are approved. As of right now I'm still "pending" status so I should have a final status in the next 1-4 days I would imagine.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    IIRC after helping a buddy with similar issues, it can take up to 60 days to have the other 'agencies' do their job and remove the records. Patience may be required, but in time, his were all cleared and he started fresh again. :thumbsup:

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I co-worker of mine had his record expunged a number of years ago. He then went for a background check unrelated to any gun purchase and it turned up that his record had been expunged, which led the investigator into the "Why did you do that? What are you trying to hide?" line of questioning.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I've seen plenty of guys get incomplete marks in these areas and later in the day they are approved. As of right now I'm still "pending" status so I should have a final status in the next 1-4 days I would imagine.

This situation is normal. secondary review simply means an officer has to actually sign off. I believe mine went from "incomplete" to approved on these items in a few days. But HQL approvals are much faster than a few years ago.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Last I checked, not only is a guilty verdict on a DUI not able to be expunged, but a PBJ on a DUI charge cannot be expunged either.

Crim Proc §10–105.
    (a) A person who has been charged with the commission of a crime, including a violation of the Transportation Article for which a term of imprisonment may be imposed, or who has been charged with a civil offense or infraction, except a juvenile offense, as a substitute for a criminal charge may file a petition listing relevant facts for expungement of a police record, court record, or other record maintained by the State or a political subdivision of the State if:
    (1) the person is acquitted;
    (2) the charge is otherwise dismissed;
    (3) a probation before judgment is entered, unless the person is charged with a violation of § 21–902 of the Transportation Article or Title 2, Subtitle 5 or § 3–211 of the Criminal Law Article;

If your buddy was able to have DUI convictions expunged, he got really, really lucky.

Wheelman dan

Feb 26, 2018
    Last I checked, not only is a guilty verdict on a DUI not able to be expunged, but a PBJ on a DUI charge cannot be expunged either.

Crim Proc §10–105.
    (a) A person who has been charged with the commission of a crime, including a violation of the Transportation Article for which a term of imprisonment may be imposed, or who has been charged with a civil offense or infraction, except a juvenile offense, as a substitute for a criminal charge may file a petition listing relevant facts for expungement of a police record, court record, or other record maintained by the State or a political subdivision of the State if:
    (1) the person is acquitted;
    (2) the charge is otherwise dismissed;
    (3) a probation before judgment is entered, unless the person is charged with a violation of § 21–902 of the Transportation Article or Title 2, Subtitle 5 or § 3–211 of the Criminal Law Article;

If your buddy was able to have DUI convictions expunged, he got really, really lucky.

I find it mind blowing that they consider someone who has simply been charged with possessing marijuana more than once more of a danger when it comes to owning firearms than someone who was operating a several thousand pound vehicle under the influence of alchohal. Im not in favor of barring DUI offenders from possessing firearms either, I think these things should be dealt with on a case by case basis, but the logic behind some of these laws is so ass backwards.

These dipshits think the guy who has a joint (not even under the influence, just possession) is somehow less responsible than the guy blowing a .085 going 85 in a 30... righhhhtttt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom