AR-10 Stripped Lower and Upper waiting period in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    The MSP made up the 7-day wait on AR-15 lowers anyways. I doubt it would stand up for a second in court if someone sued them over it, but it's just not worth the money to do it.

Thats it. They make up shit as they go. Im still trying to wrap my head around the no sbr under 29" when they consider it a hangun.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Thats it. They make up shit as they go. Im still trying to wrap my head around the no sbr under 29" when they consider it a hangun.
    In that particular case, it basically has to do with what definition of handgun and rifle applies to which section of code. They picked the interpretation that screwed us, IMHO. Still mourning my inability to make a P320 USW SBR (although if FCU ever releases their AR320, I may SBR THAT and then use the P320 USW on out-of-state trips to VA or whatever).

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    In that particular case, it basically has to do with what definition of handgun and rifle applies to which section of code. They picked the interpretation that screwed us, IMHO. Still mourning my inability to make a P320 USW SBR (although if FCU ever releases their AR320, I may SBR THAT and then use the P320 USW on out-of-state trips to VA or whatever).
    There's so many <29" guns i want. Just bulpups alone, md took the fun out of them. P320 USW SBR would be pretty sweet. That was totally under my radar. Guess i can forget about that as quickly as i learned. Thanks MD!

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Was it by chance a gun store in Columbia that was named after a furry animal? :innocent0

The furry critter moved his store to Scaggsville, off of Rt. 29, at Rt. 216.

I bought my AR10 lower from 2A in Jessup, it was just fill out a 4473 and a NICS check, and 15 minutes later I walked out the door with it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sorry i dont have the phone conversation recorded and never seen it in writing. As far as banned, its not. There is no such thing as a regulated long gun you can transfer in MD unless its full auto. All long guns are either cash and carry or banned all together. A new receiver is not a long gun. I dont get whats the big deal is though. At this point id just pay the $10 and wait a week unless its all about the paper trail. I know its hindsight but i dont always assume ffls know the laws because ive found many dont so its important to ask questions before shelling out your hard earned cash.

Regulated long gun, yes. However you can still purchase the receiver if it can be built in to a legal configuration. You can buy an AK receiver and build it in to a pistol or SBR. Those aren’t banned. You can build an AR-15 receiver in to an HBAR or pistol. You can build a FN FAL in to an SBR.

None of those are copy cats of a banned weapon, nor are they banned by name (spoilers, an AR pistol is not considered an AR-15 and MSP considers SBRs to be pistols).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Interesting, my FFL made me do the 77r and wait for a Remington 700 action.

What idiot FFL is this?

When stuff like this happens, people need to name the FFL. Let everyone know what idiots they are.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    He's not the worst FFL I've used. Is there a written source from the MSP or similar saying the HQL/77R/Wait is not needed for receivers other then banned?

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Curiously enough the paperwork went back and forth a couple times with the MSP who never bothered to correct him. I figured he was messing a few things up on the paperwork, but I just let him roll with it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Documents/2014RegulatedFirearms.pdf

Those are regulated firearms. Everything below “handgun” is now banned, but grandfathered. The receiver of the firearm is considered regulated still, but can be purchased. An “AK-47” receiver is a firearm and MSP considers them regulated, but the receiver itself is not an AK-47 and thus not banned. An “AK pistol” is not a banned weapon as the law lists out assault LONG GUNS of various names that are banned. MSP (and COMAR) effectively treat an SBR as a pistol with the sole exception (that I can find) where it is considered a rifle for OAL (and I think evil feature) test.

Something that is NOT a handgun and is not the serialized part of a regulated firearm need not be transferred on a 77r. 77r can also be done VOLUNTARILY. So there isn’t anything wrong with an FFL requiring you to do one. It’s their business and they can freely not provide the business to you if you don’t want to comply with their rules.

That said I’d say thank you, but no. I wouldn’t want to pay the extra $10, deal with the hassle of driving back to them again, unnecessarily have the receiver registered with MSP, etc. just because they have bad info or want me to jump through extra hoops that the law does not require.

k9guy

Feb 12, 2011
    This all goes along with a post I made on another thread that was about Cash & Carry AR-15 complete lowers from a Industry Partner.

I still don’t understand how they are selling these as Cash & Carry??? I understand the AR-10 being a simple 4473 and out the door, but some must be selling AR-15 lowers as Cash & Carry.

Mar 4, 2017
    huh? didnt you just say you have a deposit on it and plan to go back to get it? how can you not remember which FFL has the AR10 lower and requires the 77r?

I remember the name of the FFL I do not recall if the name is taken from a fluffy animal. But there could of been a fluffy animal there or related to the shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 4, 2017
    If you know the name, you would know whether the name is a furry animal clever like a Fox.

Unless the furry animal has a weird name then it’s probably not named after the shop but it does have a fluffy animal mascot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    I don't understand the hesitation in naming an FFL that literally wasn't doing their job correctly...2A all the way for me, thank you very much.

thanatron

MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2012
    Interesting, my FFL made me do the 77r and wait for a Remington 700 action.

2 weeks ago I bought an Aero Precision M5E1 AR10 from a friend. I took it to a FFL local to me and was told I had to do a 77r which I did.. My friend purchased a Scar17 and walked out with it after the NICS check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom