• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Since I've been reloading for > 30 years and I load my own ammo for almost 40 different calibers and firearms to keep well fed, my input is kinda tainted.

The mechanics of loading cartridges on any press is not complicated. But any mistakes made could result in unintended - and perhaps very bad - consequences.

My advice to the OP is to first and foremost decide if reloading is the right thing for him to do. Does he have the time, space, tools etc? And, most importantly, the dedication and commitment to learning safe loading?

With that said, loading 45ACP rounds on a single stage press isn't hard and the cost per round to produce accurate rounds can often be much less than and more accurate ammo than factory rounds. For example:

• Let's say one can load 1400 rounds with a pound of powder that costs $28. In 45acp, that's ~ $.02 per round.
    • Add a primer - high end price = $.04
    • Bullet - Maybe $0.20. If you cast your own from scrap lead maybe a nickle.
    • Brass: I don't include that as a cost anymore since folks leave an abundance of free range brass easily scrounged to process and reload.
    • Total cost per round? Usually < $.20
    • Time invested and cost of equipment? - That's the variable you can only answer for yourself.

Reloading isn't for everyone. But it works for me.

:thumbsup:

Edit: Since the OP's question was about 45 Colt rounds :banghead: everything I said still applies. Adding the cost of brass will increase the overall reloading cost. But 45 Colt cases tend to last a while. The biggest caution in loading those rounds is making dayum sure they aren't double-charged.

:secret: Loading 45 Colt with BP and shooting it is a helluva lotta fun...:innocent0

Attachments

• CombatAK Ruger Old Army 01 Capture.jpg
      CombatAK Ruger Old Army 01 Capture.jpg
      52.2 KB · Views: 409

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    How much 45 Colt do you shoot, or think you realistically might shoot, over the course of a year?

I shoot less cause of cost. But if i made my own i might shoot a box or 2 a month. And i would like to load down for a 1907 peacemaker with thin cyl walls.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Another tack.

Look in the classifieds and online (Craigs List) for used reloading equipment.

You can save a lot of money and get higher level gear, with all the extras.

I have a Lee Loader for 7.62x51 (.308), and it is NOT something I would want to do for more than 5 - 10 rounds.

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I shoot less cause of cost. But if i made my own i might shoot a box or 2 a month. And i would like to load down for a 1907 peacemaker with thin cyl walls.

If you use Fiocci as a baseline of least expensive 45 Colt ammunition, and having already retained your once fired factory brass, you stand to save 15 bucks a box (for argument sake) by reloading. Given your stated volume, you'd recoup the cost of a good single stage press kit in a year's time. Even quicker with similar quality used equipment, as Pinecone notes, and there's alot of it out there if you're patient, and your need isn't immediate. A good press will long outlive you, so its not like service life is an issue with quality equipment.

Me, I'd look hard in the direction of a good solidly made single stage press. Especially so if you have any thoughts of possibly loading rifle cartridges one day, in addition to your mentioned 45 Colt.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to go with!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This is just me, but if someone wanted to start out with a single stage, I would strongly point them towards the Lee Classic Turret instead. It is not substantially more complicated, and it will produce a lot more output due to the auto-indexing (doubly so if you eventually install the Inline Fab auto-ejector kit). At this point, I do all of my brass prep (including priming) in advance, and then just do powder/bullet/seat/crimp on the turret as I need it. If I ever step it up to a Dillon 650 XL (which makes reliable pistol case prep on the fly more of a possibility), I'd probably just use that for competition pistol and keep using the Lee Classic Turret for precision rifle.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Years ago when I was shooting a lot (life has been somewhat hectic over the last few years and my shooting hobby isn't even on the backburner - it's off of the stove almost completely at this point) I got into reloading, not so much to save money, but so that I could shoot more for the same money. I scrounged brass every time I went to the range with the goal of bringing home more than I fired, and that worked well for what I was shooting - mostly 45 ACP and 40 S&W, but I also accumulated a fair bit of 38 spc, 357, and on occasion, even some 44 Mag.

I once created a thread regarding my "cost savings" of reloading, which at the time was done on some pretty humble equipment - a Lee Challenger press kit with Lee Dies. It was a great way to get into reloading - it's a pretty basic setup, but it got the job done and allowed me to stretch my shooting dollar considerably. It also gave me an appreciation of the process, which really isn't difficult, but to echo what j8064 said, you have to pay attention so that you don't have unintended/bad consequences - there's definitely some precision involved.

At this point I'm actually trying to get rid of some of my reloading gear because simply put, I'm not using it, and it's taking up space on my workbench. Maybe I'll approach it again in another season of my life, but for now, I just don't have the time or inclination.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Another tack.

Look in the classifieds and online (Craigs List) for used reloading equipment.

You can save a lot of money and get higher level gear, with all the extras.

I have a Lee Loader for 7.62x54 (.308), and it is NOT something I would want to do for more than 5 - 10 rounds.

Trim your brass to 51mm , it will size better. Lol just razing.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    My advice is get someone to teach you reloading so you can see if it is something you think you'll want to do long term and to get a feel for what equipment you'll like. There is a thread here for people to volunteer to teach others. Some gun clubs also occasionally have classes. I started with an RCBS Master reloading kit and quickly replaced almost all the components except for the press.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    :secret: Loading 45 Colt with BP and shooting it is a helluva lotta fun...:innocent0

where the heck do you find a recipe for BP in 45 LC?

I have a Ruger Blackhawk with exchangeable cylinders for either .45ACP or .45LC. Bought 2 boxes of LC but never got around to shooting them.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    where the heck do you find a recipe for BP in 45 LC?

I have a Ruger Blackhawk with exchangeable cylinders for either .45ACP or .45LC. Bought 2 boxes of LC but never got around to shooting them.

Fill the case with FFg black powder (the real stuff, not BP substitute). That's the recipe. No air gap between powder and the base of the bullet. Want to shoot lighter loads? Get some .45 Schofeld brass. Do the same thing.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    If you have a work bench with space, get a Lee or RCBS single stage. First shop used, garage or estate sales, as they come up occasionally and usually go for $20 to $50 for the press and accessories. If you don't have space and you just want to give it a try, look for one of these: LEE PRECISION 90180 Breech Lock, Hand Press Kit or LEE PRECISION 90263 Classic Loader.45 Colt. If you don't plan to shoot more than a few hundred rounds per year, any of these presses will do the job.

Regardless of what you choose, find someone who lives someplace convenient to you who reloads. Besides reading, collecting reloading manuals and watching videos, having someone who you can watch and who can watch you to help you and answer questions is a great resource.

A warning: You just may find that reloading is as much of a hobby as shooting. There are times when I would rather be prepping brass than shooting. Making custom loads that work best for you in your firearms is very satisfying.

Be safe.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Fill the case with FFg black powder (the real stuff, not BP substitute). That's the recipe. No air gap between powder and the base of the bullet. Want to shoot lighter loads? Get some .45 Schofeld brass. Do the same thing.

okaaaaay...

When I clean my modern cartridge pistols I use hoppe #9 and lube with gun oil. When I clean my BP revolver I use ballistol an hot water only. My research indicates the BP is corrosive and modern gun oil exacerbates the issue. Should I use ballistol or Hoppes #9 when using BP cartridges in my modern 45 LC?

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't see anyway any oil exacerbates corrosion from ANY source.

Hot water is the best for cleaning after BP. They oil with the oil of your choice.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The Lee loader is painfully slow, and is only as precise as a hammer strike. The bare minimum IMO is a Lee hand press, not a ton of leverage, but handy to develop loads at the range. A bench single stage is faster and a bit easier to use, turrets are more convenient and a bit faster still. Where you would be lucky to get a round per minute with a Lee loader, or around an hour to stamp out a box of 50, you can probably do 3-4X that number with a single stage, and it's a bit more straight forward to do each step in a batch instead of each round start to finish. IMO, a Lee loader is good for maybe 50 an hour, a single stage about 150-200, a turret maybe 200-250, and a progressive can stamp out 500+. Much depends on how much you want to shoot, and how much time you want to spend reloading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom