AR pistol: angled grip, hand stop, or nothing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    A friend suggested installing something on my AR-15 pistol with a 10.5 " bbl to protect the support hand from sliding past the muzzle. So far it has seemed easy to keep my hand safe. But I thought I should consider his advice.

Do people recommend an angled grip, hand stop, something else or nothing? The OAL is about 24.5 " not including the brace nor muzzle device. I think that means a vertical grip is out.

If you use something, which product works well that attaches with M-LOK?

Thanks.

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    A little handstop should do the trick. It can also be nice for jamming into something you're shooting around for stability. As far as worrying about your hand sliding forward, a WML can also keep your hand from doing that. If it may be used for defense, you should probably have a WML on it anyway.

Attachments

• baldr offset.jpg
      baldr offset.jpg
      44.3 KB · Views: 463

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Hand stops are usually intended to be placed behind your hand, not in front of it, gives you something to pull the stock or brace in for stability or index your support hand. You would think it's easy for a hand to slide off the front of tiny hand guards, but it really isn't, you feel the front of the hand guard, and usually put your hand in the same spot after a little practice with it. Barricade stops are usually smaller and better to help find the front edge of the handguard, and of course give some control against a barricade.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Hand stops are usually intended to be placed behind your hand, not in front of it, gives you something to pull the stock or brace in for stability or index your support hand. You would think it's easy for a hand to slide off the front of tiny hand guards, but it really isn't, you feel the front of the hand guard, and usually put your hand in the same spot after a little practice with it. Barricade stops are usually smaller and better to help find the front edge of the handguard, and of course give some control against a barricade.

Having a little something in front of your hand is great for helping you avoid touching something like a suppressor on the short guns when moving around and re-griping the gun a lot. :) In the case of the magpul ones (and most others) its negligible weight wise so might as well.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Having a little something in front of your hand is great for helping you avoid touching something like a suppressor on the short guns when moving around and re-griping the gun a lot. :) In the case of the magpul ones (and most others) its negligible weight wise so might as well.

hence the barricade stop https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-Barricade-Stop-M-LOK-compatible-p/mi-mbs.htm

small and keeps out of the way for running a "C" grip or moving your hand around as position dictates, prevents your hand from sliding onto a suppressor, and obviously works for it's intended purpose too.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    Thanks for the suggestions. I like the Midwest Ind. barricade stop. I ordered the Magpul hand stop kit because it seems flexible with its three pieces.

I figure if I put the small piece near the muzzle it might also double as a barricade stop. The larger piece can provide something for the support hand to pull against also as recommended here. I guess I'll find out when I get it!

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    Buy a 12" barrel and use a sb brace and you can do what you want. A 12" barrel gives you a half inch over 26" to appease the BATFE.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I've always wondered are these good to go on a pistol since they technically aren't a 90 degree vertical grip? They have a slight angle to them.

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM...M-LOK-Mod-3-black-p/bcm-vg-mcmr-mod-3-blk.htm

BCM-VG-MCMR-MOD-3-BLK-2T.jpg

The definition of vertical grip is specific enough, that black aces tactical offered a slightly canted grip to the left/right to argue it wasnt "under the barrel". This particular gun is a hilarious piece of American f-you ingenuity

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2017-10-16-at-10.51.03-AM.png
      Screen-Shot-2017-10-16-at-10.51.03-AM.png
      21 KB · Views: 140

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    Here's how I installed the Magpul M-LOK Hand Stop Kit. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it's better with more or less distance between the finger index panel and hand stop. You're supposed to be able to use the index panel as a barricade stop.

In the second photo you can see a rail cover (one included) in case you don't like the gap along the rail that I left. And there's an MOE adapter that's included for other configurations.

Attachments

• P1070495.jpg
      P1070495.jpg
      82.7 KB · Views: 116
    • P1070500.jpg
      P1070500.jpg
      85.9 KB · Views: 188

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member