• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Get yourself an RCBS carbide die set and eliminate any issues. I have been using my set for close to 4 decades and zero problems.

I know money is money, but, with the added bonus of not having to lube, this is what I would do. :shrug:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , I refreshed myself on these from my sources of knowledge on this topic , and will further kick things around directly with OP . But for our general knowledge , and specifically regarding .45Colt ;

Steel Dies CAN have advantages on purpose for .45Colt , specifically to have a larger base dia, with a meaningful ammount of taper @ neck . Ideally for this scenario , should be .475-.476 @ base, and .469-.470 @ neck .

Carbide dies should be .470-.473 . With Carbide not having any meaningful taper, it becomes a trade off of robbing Peter to pay Paul between chamber slop vs neck tension .

Not withstanding OP's correspondence from Lyman , where they seemed to be talking about Carbide when Lance was talking about Steel -

My sources inform me that Current production Lyman STEEL .45 Colt sizing dies are .475 @ base , which is indeed suitable .

For switching to Carbide , the current production , measured @ neck runs Lee > Lyman> RCBS , for larger to smaller . With the base line that even the Lee is reasonably acceptable .

( Yes, neck sizing only on .45Colt is definitely a thing , but that's a seperate topic in itself .)

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Thats not necessary at all.
    Shake your lube well before you spray it and allow it to dry completely before sizing. The cases should be sticky before you try to size them?
    I would suggest Dillon lube or Imperial Sizing wax.

Lots of things may not be necessary but, it sure makes things easier and a lot less time consuming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom