• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I got a freind who inherited a repro full scale mountain Howitzer. It’s got everything but the wheels. I will need to fab up some new ones. He’s not going to do anything with it so I’m going to inquire about working a deal to put it in my possession. I still have to inspect it a little closer but from the pictures he sent me it looks to be some sort of cast metal( not bronze) I will check if it has a steel liner. Appears to have about a 3 inch bore but the bore is rusty. He said the fella he got it from used it for re-enactment so I’m guessing it was just used for a report cannon. I would love to have one that can shoot a projectile because I do have the space to shoot it but if it’s only made to make noise I’m ok with that too.
    I need to get over there and get the specs so I can research it’s maker.
    I had a 1/3 scale nepoleon at one time that could fire projectiles so I’m familiar with the firing operation but this would be a step up from anything I have put fire to.
    I’m all excited about it so I thought I would share with you all. Any fellow artillery guys here like to make big noise?

Attachments

• DE9B5A3D-7005-4567-89C1-D3A7DD767950.jpg
      DE9B5A3D-7005-4567-89C1-D3A7DD767950.jpg
      36.7 KB · Views: 388

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That is very cool. I wonder if it's one of the ones Dixie Gun Works sold? They had the steel liners.

The North-South Skirmish Association shoots full size Civil War artillery in competition, both smoothbores such as 12 Pounder Napoleons, and rifles such as 3 inch Parrotts. You can watch the matches at their range near Winchester, Va.

Www.n-ssa.org

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    That is very cool. I wonder if it's one of the ones Dixie Gun Works sold? They had the steel liners.

The North-South Skirmish Association shoots full size Civil War artillery in competition, both smoothbores such as 12 Pounder Napoleons, and rifles such as 3 inch Parrotts. You can watch the matches at their range near Winchester, Va.

Www.n-ssa.org

I’m not sure who made it yet but I’m going to find out. I want to make sure I know what I’m dealing with before I attempt to fire it. My buddy is a engineer over at apg that tests ordinance and shoots bp cannons as a hobby so I got a good source of knowledge on this subject.
    If anything it would be a good crook deterrent sitting on the other side of my front door lol.

I have watched all of the n-ssa videos. That much fun would seem like it should be illegal in this communist state. Did you see the one where they were firing explosives shells from a parrot rifle at a old armored personnel carrier? The camera was at the target. What a terrifying sound that must of been to charge into that.

I was looking up replacement wheels for this thing and boy are they expensive. I was just thinking about getting me some white oak and firing up the forge to fab some new ones. I enjoy the time on the anvil beating out some frustration.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Nice, I haven't even started on mine yet. My dad was supposed to build the carriage but his cancer is back. **** cancer.

Attachments

• 5281[1].jpg
      5281[1].jpg
      71.4 KB · Views: 323

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Nice, I haven't even started on mine yet. My dad was supposed to build the carriage but his cancer is back. **** cancer.

Sorry to hear that about your dad. I understand what you are going through with the ups and downs. My grandfather and a lot of his family worked at the steel mill and ship yard at sparrows point. Unfortunately cancer is very prevalent in my family.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Whitmer Coach Shop in New Holland PA makes wooden wheels. I know they make cannon wheels because I have seen cannons getting new wheels there. Cannon wheels are beefier than carriage wheels, it looks like you have some of the parts of the hubs there.
    Whitmers is Amish so no website but they have a print catalog for carriage parts and wheels and they have a telephone. Of course closed Sundays and Amish Holidays. Here is location and contact info:
    https://lancasteronline.com/marketp...ess_25842198-eb92-50d7-8ed3-f4fbcb6e800e.html

Get it ready for next deer season:
    http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom