• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Nothing while we were in the blind. 4 deer on the pipeline afterward. 1 right at the edge of the woods and pipeline, in off limits area. Then one across the street in a lawn 50yds from the parking area. Lastly 2 back on the pipeline right where we had been walking 5 minutes before.

It’s how it breaks, but he seemed to enjoy himself and at least he got to see deer. He was all sniffles though. Hard for a 9yr old to stay quiet in the blind with a runny nose. He’s at that age where I want to start getting him involved in hunting. This fall I’ll probably take him to Greenridge to go camping and squirrel hunting, well hunting companion. I am thinking 2019 will be getting him his apprentice license so he can be the shooter squirrel hunting and if he wants deer hunting. 50/50 he’ll be with me at the CCGC New Year’s Day shoot. Looking like it’ll be damn cold, so he may stay at home instead of trying to shoot a round.

I started taking my boy out with me about that age, half the time he'd fall asleep on my shoulder. Good times. He's 12 now and really enjoyed squirrel hunting with his .22

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Finally got the deer figured out in this late season from the snow cover. I setup yesterday afternoon to watch the hillside they are skirting from the thick areas for bedding. Fork horn with one rack goes by and is followed by two does. Line up the second doe and "Cack" My CCI #11 cap FTF (Fail To fire). Does are still looking ta the other hill where the neighbors are making noise and I can't get a cap out fast enough and they move on. :rolleyes: In my lifetime of hunting and shooting I have only has 2 FTF on a cap and not one ever range shooting. 1st time was a 8 point 15 years ago and now this doe. I bend my caps as they can fall off this nipple if I do not. Not sure if this affect the charge inside. I do not bend them when range shooting. I only bend the mouth of the cap to make it squeeze the nipple and stay on.

Then a spike cut through and I let him go to make a better picture in a year or two. Of course the next cap fired off at the end of the day/season and emptied the gun properly. :)

Going to let them settle through next weekend and attack with the crossbow on new feeder routine (longer run time) we setup in mid to late January.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Saw that large 8 point about 125 yds from me. Made a doe bleat and he stopped and turned to walk in my direction. He walked about 10 yards when someone did a mag dump on a neighboring farm. He did a 180 and was gone. Thems is the breaks I guess.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That's too bad. It ain't over till it's over. :)

FWIW, the ten I shot the other day was shot at 125ish yds. He appeared out of nowhere. He was trotting along the edge of the woods like he was late for something. I had enough time to pop up my binos and see he was a good deer. I picked an opening ahead of him and when he reached it, I mouth grunted him to a stop. He stopped right on cue and I hammered him. The whole sequence to all of 15 seconds at the most. :o

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    That's too bad. It ain't over till it's over. :)

FWIW, the ten I shot the other day was shot at 125ish yds. He appeared out of nowhere. He was trotting along the edge of the woods like he was late for something. I had enough time to pop up my binos and see he was a good deer. I picked an opening ahead of him and when he reached it, I mouth grunted him to a stop. He stopped right on cue and I hammered him. The whole sequence to all of 15 seconds at the most. :o
    This guy was in high grass. It was hard to make out much except that head and rack. Just saw 4 does and a fawn heading to their bedding area. Gonna try to set up on the outskirts of that tomorrow. That looked to be where the buck was coming from. No hunting in AACO today

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This guy was in high grass. It was hard to make out much except that head and rack. Just saw 4 does and a fawn heading to their bedding area. Gonna try to set up on the outskirts of that tomorrow. That looked to be where the buck was coming from. No hunting in AACO today

Yeah, shooting through grass is no bueno.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I started taking my boy out with me about that age, half the time he'd fall asleep on my shoulder. Good times. He's 12 now and really enjoyed squirrel hunting with his .22

In the fall I am hoping to take him and my neighbor and Neighbor son (same age) up to Greenridge in the fall for squirrel hunting so they can see some active hunting. Then take him out a couple of times for deer hunting for the “slow stuff”. If he keeps thinking it’s fine, the following year have him get his apprentice hunter’s license so he can squirrel hunt and drag him along deer hunting some more. Then let him take a crack at deer with a full license the season after.

Some of it is I think he needs the slow pace, some my wife. Great memories though.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    You guys! Don't make me go 'blaster229' on yas' lol!

Just kidding. :lol2:

Nobody, but nobody, and I mean NOBODY, can go blaster229 on anybody, other than blaster229.

Came home from around 8:00 from a party at my sister's place yesterday and there were deer tracks in the snow on my front walk way and in my driveway. Have not seen deer in the front yard for ages, but maybe I have the best grass around right now. lol

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I pulled my camera card and found the deer that i let walk 3 times due to no shot standing in my corn pile at shooting light :rolleyes:

Its a bad pic, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      78.5 KB · Views: 146

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nobody, but nobody, and I mean NOBODY, can go blaster229 on anybody, other than blaster229.

Came home from around 8:00 from a party at my sister's place yesterday and there were deer tracks in the snow on my front walk way and in my driveway. Have not seen deer in the front yard for ages, but maybe I have the best grass around right now. lol

I think they are really nocturnal in my neighborhood. I see them occasionally out for a jog in the evenings and I had two does and a fawn in my backyard with the fawn trapped by my fence this past summer (it eventually got out). Other then that I’ve seen one deer in my yard and it was about two months ago munching on one of my apple trees 10yds from my garage. I walked out to take out the trash and it did that jump and prepare to run thing deer do occasionally like “oh crap, I have made a grave error” and looked at me for about 5 declines and then bolted.

Otherwise I only see tracks, poop and lose half my garden every fall for the last three (high fence, but just plastic. They rip through it and eat all the beans. Going electric fence this year).

Pretty sure they make their way out of the park around sunset every night and slowly eat their way through the neighborhood. Being one of the last houses before 32 it takes them half the night to get to me and then eat their way back in to the park.

I am sure it varies, but that’s my best guess.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Get off yer duff and get out there and kill something!

:party29:

You got me motivated to brave the cold and it worked out - to a degree.

;) One little critique though: The next pep talk should include the following right after "... bla, bla, bla, you pvssies!":

"Now some of you will be successful. You lucky, numb, teeth chattering few ... remember to remove your watches before you field dress your deer! Particularly you old-timers with the nice self-winders and you mall ninjas with the tacticool web straps, and especially you idiots with both! Mark my words, some of you will spend more time scrubbing your watches and your tacticool web straps than you will spend dressing, skinning, and quartering your deer! I sh!t you not, you filthy animals, you devil dogs!" End with something about "the other poor dumb bastard" and it'll be perfect. :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

;) One little critique though: The next pep talk should include the following right after "... bla, bla, bla, you pvssies!":

"Now some of you will be successful. You lucky, numb, teeth chattering few ... remember to remove your watches before you field dress your deer! Particularly you old-timers with the nice self-winders and you mall ninjas with the tacticool web straps, and especially you idiots with both! Mark my words, some of you will spend more time scrubbing your watches and your tacticool web straps than you will spend dressing, skinning, and quartering your deer! I sh!t you not, you filthy animals, you devil dogs!" End with something about "the other poor dumb bastard" and it'll be perfect. :D

Hehehe, sorry.

Yeah, I haven’t forgotten to take my watch off and stick it in my pack/pocket yet.

But I have imagined the result and I don’t look forward to the day I forget.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

:lol: Duly noted

Another reason I don't wear watches. :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My Thoughts on Trail Cams

They are very useful tools in general. They are a lot of fun, especially when you throw that card into the viewer. But, too much servicing can be a bad thing, particularly when they are set up in or near your stand site. I've noticed after years of using them, Bucks tend to get weary of them, fast. It helps avoid this by hanging your cams higher in the trees, say 6'-7' high, pointing downward at your targeted spot.

I think a general mistake many people make is tending them too often. Remember, every time you service one, you are leaving scent behind. Scent that deer pick up on.

I use them in two fashions. Firstly, I use them preseason in order to get an idea what is out there. As a census. To see what deer are living on my farm and to see what deer are 'just stopping by'. I put these cams at mineral sites(that I don't hunt generally) and feeding sites i.e. corn piles. Once the season starts, I move them to trail heads mostly. Preferably outside the woods so when I do want to pull a card, I'm not tromping through the woods, unnecessarily. Other optimal times to pull cards is when it's raining. That's the best way to minimize scent contamination. I hunt a 40 to 50 acre hay farm that has a wicked creek bottom. I use one or sometimes two trail cams on this farm. That's it. Once I start hunting in late October, I may pull a card 2-3 times through the remainder of the season. Tops.

It is impossible to not bump deer in hunting areas, but I strive to keep that to a bare minimum. Remember, the deer are there. The trick is not letting them know you're there.

Hope my thoughts are helpful. I do not consider my self an authority on this at all. There are people who have this down to a science. Good luck to everyone still out there chasing deer. My season is over. :beer:

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    Is there any chance to get a deer on public land this time of year?

I have been out quite a few times since Thanksgiving, on public lands. But I have yet to see one deer, let alone getting one. The only thing I have seen was a gray fox.
    So, if somebody can tell me if I actually have a chance getting one this time of year, it'll be really appreciated.
    I knew hunting would be hard, but I don't know if it's supposed to be this hard.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have been out quite a few times since Thanksgiving, on public lands. But I have yet to see one deer, let alone getting one. The only thing I have seen was a gray fox.
    So, if somebody can tell me if I actually have a chance getting one this time of year, it'll be really appreciated.
    I knew hunting would be hard, but I don't know if it's supposed to be this hard.

Get as far away from the parking lot as possible. Look for heavily used escape routs(lots of tracks) leading off the public land. You may luck out and catch some coming or going. It's tough, but not impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom