• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Is there any gunsmith in the Washington/Baltimore/Annapolis area that can do a good reblue on a revolver?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Engage, Hafers, or Scott’s Gunsmithing

No experience with any for a reblue just giving you a starting point.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    What make model is the revolver? Colt or Smith and Wesson I would recommend sending it in for a factory reblue.

If there is no collector value then I would have it ceracoted by Engage Armament.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    What make model is the revolver? Colt or Smith and Wesson I would recommend sending it in for a factory reblue.

If there is no collector value then I would have it ceracoted by Engage Armament.

1st Gen SAA, no collector's value because it has a barrel and cylinder replacement (changing the caliber) and the finish stripped from all other parts. Not worth a full restoration. but I want something that looks like Colt factory bluing.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    1st Gen SAA, no collector's value because it has a barrel and cylinder replacement (changing the caliber) and the finish stripped from all other parts. Not worth a full restoration. but I want something that looks like Colt factory bluing.

I would check with Colt myself. They do an incredible job.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Colt doesn't do refinishing anymore or work on any double-action revolvers other than the new Cobra as well. What repairs they do outside of warranty work is something like a two year wait. Not exactly inspires confidence nor consumer friendly...no wonder the company is in the shape it's in. They're putting out some fine products but nothing on the backside of the sale it seems. I say that as a Colt guy and it's very disheartening.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Colt doesn't do refinishing anymore or work on any double-action revolvers other than the new Cobra as well. What repairs they do outside of warranty work is something like a two year wait. Not exactly inspires confidence nor consumer friendly...no wonder the company is in the shape it's in. They're putting out some fine products but nothing on the backside of the sale it seems. I say that as a Colt guy and it's very disheartening.

I didn't know they had slipped that far. It sucks to see an American Icon fall. I had them do a Python for me back in 2000. Price was great and the finish was perfect. They even included a factory letter showing date of manufacture and refinish.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Problem is, all the folks that knew how to work on real revolvers, got old and retired.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There isn't much reason to restrict yourself to local . Of the short list of highly recomended Bluers are Glenrock Blue in Glenrock WY, and Ford's Blueing in Crystal River, Fla .

And in today's times any 1st Gen is worth decent $ , even parts guns in good order .

I'll bite , which cal and bbl length ? Recent rebuild, or back in the second golden era ?

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    And in today's times any 1st Gen is worth decent $ , even parts guns in good order .

I'll bite , which cal and bbl length ? Recent rebuild, or back in the second golden era ?

Made in 1906, Originally a Frontier Six Shooter (.44-40). Barrel and Cylinder changed to make it .45 Colt. No idea when it was altered. Some pitting on the frame but it functions perfectly. When I bought it I had no idea how complicated and expensive getting it refinished (or getting new grips for it) would be.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    then just strip the finish off and ...

p_082124412_2.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You have options .

Starting with least expensive ( and keeping other options open)

Degrease , but don't remove any finish . To the bare parts , apply Brownell's T-4 . I mean T-4 specifically on purpose . From personal experience T-4 will give a more even finish over large areas than Oxpho . If after doing so , the gun's appearance is non-offensive to you , declare victory and enjoy.

If after that you still wish a complete reblue , then send the gun on a trip . Glenrock factory type blueing is $275 . Fords has price points at $225, $275, $325 . S&W collectors consider Ford's Master Blueing ($325) to be equal or better than the no longer offered old school S&W factory blueing . Fords can also case color hammer and trigger starting at $50 .

Assuming the other grip panel ( aka stock) looks similar to the visable one, they look good already .

But if you just want somthing different , lots of options, and the sky is the limit . But the catch is a 1st generation will require fitting , either by grip maker, gunsmith, or yourself . One piece and two piece grips will cost about the same .

A basic Rosewood , or basic polymer Ivory will start +/- $ 75 , and fitting by grip makers in same range ( plus shipping of gun ) . Perhaps at a larger SASS match , you could find a 'smith to do so on the spot .

If you decide to send out for blueing , Ford's is also a full service gunsmith , and should be able to fit your grips with one shipping .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom