• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Nicely done video as always. Was there already a thread on it?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    https://www.inland-mfg.com/Inland-Carbines/M1-1945.html

I still think Ruger could make a fortune clambering either the 10/22 platform or the Mini-14 platform in .30 carbine if they could take M1 carbine mags.

The problem is it wouldn’t be a 10/22 platform anymore. You’d need more than one screw to secure it against the recoil of .30 carbine and no way you could do blowback action. So you don’t really have a 10/22 anymore.

A mini-14 chambered in .30 carbine would almost be like what the M14 is to the Garand (slightly updated, except in this case they both already took detachable mags).

Yes, I’d love to see more guys get in to making quality M1 Carbine reproductions. Or hell, I know this is probably herasay, but a lightweight AR-15 chambered in .30 carbine and taking .30 carbine mags I think would be really neat.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    A 100% functioning M1 Carbine would be a wonderful home defense gun for people that are unfamiliar or uncomfortable with the AR15. Light, intuitive and
    powerful enough: civilians are not restricted to FMJ.

Trouble seems to be that reproductions are "iffy" on function. I've been tempted to get an Auto Ordnance or a Kahr arms - then I read about issues people have with them not functioning well.

Universal carbines have several issues including cracked slides. But the worst by far is the ability for some of them to fire out of battery.

I have not investigated. Is Inland "getting it right?"

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Inland is a decent gun . The thing of it is , is that a good quality new production will be price competing with shooter grade originals. A few years down the road when eventually the prices climb for originals, the market will be stronger for new production.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    The Inland is a decent gun . The thing of it is , is that a good quality new production will be price competing with shooter grade originals. A few years down the road when eventually the prices climb for originals, the market will be stronger for new production.

That's good information and good to hear that Inland Mfg is getting it right. Given a choice between a shooter grade M1 Carbine and a current production gun at roughly the same price I think I would go with an original at this time.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That's good information and good to hear that Inland Mfg is getting it right. Given a choice between a shooter grade M1 Carbine and a current production gun at roughly the same price I think I would go with an original at this time.

Everything I’ve heard on the new Inlands is positive. I have an old Inland, back when that meant “a division if General Motors”. I had some magazine based hiccups on my range trip after the carbine was given to me. After figuring out which was the one good 15 round mag, that one has had zero failures with brass or steel cased ammo in about 150 rounds. My new manufacture KCI 30 round mags have had zero failures, though I’ve probably only put 150 rounds through them (fewer uses of each mag as I have three). I re-sprung all 3 of the old 15 round mags I have. I’d like to get a few KCI 15 round mags as well one of these days.

I have heard a complaint or three on Korean KCIs, mostly positive stuff. So far I’ve had zero issues related to the magazines with 3x30rnd M1 Carbine mags, 5x17rnd Glock 17 mags and the 2x35rnd Glock mags I have.

One thing with the older Carbines is that the recoil spring may need replacing or the mags may need new springs or just be trashed. The magazines were considered disposable during WWII and don’t have the best construction (at least originals). Both those things can cause a lot of reliability issues.

That said I am maybe only 300rnds out since my last feeding issue on my Carbine and had several that first range session. My 10.5” AR pistol had about 200rnds down the tube and no failures, my 16” AR has had maybe 300rnds down the tube with no failures, my 20” has had probably 800-900rnds down the tube with no failures other than three times where when loading a full mag on a closed bolt the mag didn’t lock in to place and it either failed to pickup the first round or did pickup the first round, but then didn’t pickup the 2nd round.

My 18” 6.5G AR has had zero issues in about 150rnds.

As in all of my ARs have fun perfectly other than a user error or threee. Definitely what I’d reach for if I needed something where my life might be at risk (my Glock is still iffy there. It has mostly run great, but last range trip it had 3 failures in 150 rounds of wolf steel and WWB. I don’t think it likes WWB and prefers Remington and Federal ammo).

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    A 100% functioning M1 Carbine would be a wonderful home defense gun for people that are unfamiliar or uncomfortable with the AR15. Light, intuitive and
    powerful enough: civilians are not restricted to FMJ.

Trouble seems to be that reproductions are "iffy" on function. I've been tempted to get an Auto Ordnance or a Kahr arms - then I read about issues people have with them not functioning well.

Universal carbines have several issues including cracked slides. But the worst by far is the ability for some of them to fire out of battery.

I have not investigated. Is Inland "getting it right?"

I've owned several original M1 Carbines.

They were so unreliable that I'd never trust one to work when I really needed it to.

You are correct on the home defense issue. Get all the bugs worked out of these things and HD use would be a no brainer.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

Attachments

• image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      96.3 KB · Views: 325

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I've owned several original M1 Carbines.

They were so unreliable that I'd never trust one to work when I really needed it to.

You are correct on the home defense issue. Get all the bugs worked out of these things and HD use would be a no brainer.

I have about 8 of them and as long as you refresh the recoil springs and maintain them, never had a problem. Wouldn't be my choice round but I would trust one to work more than I would trust anything else.

For a while a paratrooper clone was my camp gun.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I was at Veinna Arsenal and they have an Inland 1911 war horse copy that is nicely made and stamped. While the finish is utilitarian and mil spec parking, the lines and configuration of the pistol is such you could have a nice mil spec gun without paying for a mil spec collectible. I was tempted but just built one and acquired/configured another.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Don’t get me wrong, I really love my M1 carbine, but I don’t get an AR or mini 14 in .30 carbine.

If that’s what you want, build one I’m 300 BLK. Better and more versatile round IMHO.

More versatile, sure. However it is more expensive to shoot, higher recoil (on supers), magazine and physical round are larger. Also more muzzle blast with supers.

No matter how you slice it you are talking at ~1000ft-lb cartridge vs a 1400ft-lb cartridge with the same bore diameter.

If I work at it I can get .30 carbine steel cased ammo for less than 7.62x39 steel (about 20 cents a round) and brass is also still cheaper for .30 carbine than .300BO (with a little work 40 cents a round for .30 carbine brass and I’ve found it for 25 cents a round recently).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom