• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Got this last week with my M.1830 Percussion Rifle. Most of you have probably seen the more common Swiss Vetterli Rifles around shows or on various auction websites. Little known is that there are quite a few different models that the Swiss fielded or worked with, from the M1867 Prototypes, to the various and commonly faked carbines.

Like the M.1830 Musket I posted, the Swiss needed a new rifle to equip sharpshooters after the Vetterli was adopted. They decided to produce a shortened version of the long rifle, and add a curved buttplate and double set triggers. Compared to my extremely long and heavy M78/81, the M.71 Stutzer is a fairly balanced rifle.

Stutzer's are fairly rare in the U.S., and the production number's weren't very high to begin with. 15,000 were made by Eidgenössische Montier-Werstätte (Waffenfabrik, Bern).

This one isn't in as nice shape as my minty M.71/81, but I'd say it looks pretty good for being 143 years old. The bore looks great and all the numbers match. It should make a great shooter. I don't think I'm going to convert the bolt to centerfire. I have a spare bolt that I'm going to try and work with first. Unfortunately, I'd rather not try to shoot my full box of vintage Peter's .41 Swiss so I'll have to make my own ammo :D

Attachments

• IMG_8595.jpg
      IMG_8595.jpg
      126.7 KB · Views: 445
    • IMG_8610.jpg
      IMG_8610.jpg
      105.9 KB · Views: 671
    • IMG_8617.jpg
      IMG_8617.jpg
      72.8 KB · Views: 453
    • IMG_8635.jpg
      IMG_8635.jpg
      121.5 KB · Views: 424
    • IMG_8649.jpg
      IMG_8649.jpg
      108.7 KB · Views: 473
    • IMG_8669.jpg
      IMG_8669.jpg
      104.5 KB · Views: 469

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Wow, that's nice! I bid on one last month, came up short. In hindsight I think I gave up too soon. It was probably worth more than the $850 that won the rifle.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    That is in nice shape. Congrats. I always wanted one, but keep finding cracked, broken, missing...

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    wow, nice.
    It goes to show how important accuracy was for them with the set trigger.
    I can imagine an opposing army officer would not want to be standing still on the roadside while invading Switzerland with these around, not knowing if someone up a hill had one pointed at his head.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Wow, that's nice! I bid on one last month, came up short. In hindsight I think I gave up too soon. It was probably worth more than the $850 that won the rifle.

Thanks guys! This one cost me around that much. My wallet wasn't prepared for it, but it was kind of a now or never situation. They just don't come around that often and I didn't want to miss the opportunity.

This absolutely beautiful Private Series Vetterli Stutzer just sold from the same seller that I got this and the M.1830 from.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/734914524

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I can imagine an opposing army officer would not want to be standing still on the roadside while invading Switzerland with these around, not knowing if someone up a hill had one pointed at his head.

It's interesting to think how advanced the Vetterli was for the time. Up until the 1880's most countries were issuing single shot breech-loading/bolt action rifles (i.e. Trapdoor Springfield, M71 Mauser, Gras, Berdan, Werndl, Martini-Henry) while the Swiss were using a rifle that was relatively quick to reload and held 12 rounds in the tube.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Thanks guys! This one cost me around that much. My wallet wasn't prepared for it, but it was kind of a now or never situation. They just don't come around that often and I didn't want to miss the opportunity.

This absolutely beautiful Private Series Vetterli Stutzer just sold from the same seller that I got this and the M.1830 from.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/734914524

I bookmarked that auction too. When I saw what it hammered for I was saying to myself "You dropped out of that other auction too soon.". Oh well, the search goes on!

Jul 1, 2012
    That auction points out an interesting "feature" for GunBroker auctions.
    BuyNow is only available until the reserve is met on a reserve auction...
    was scratching my head how the end price could be higher than BuyNow and then saw "Reserve Met" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom