• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Are we required to replace all of our smoke alarms with the new 10 year battery by 1 Jan 2018?

The news report confused this oldMan.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Only if your current ones are more than 10 years old.

That is what I thought I heard, oh shit!

Mine are 20 years old and assume if I want my insurance to cover any accident, I will have to change mine. Dang and double dang.

What about people who don't have the funds to replace, just doesn't seem right!!

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    That is what I thought I heard, oh shit!

Mine are 20 years old and assume if I want my insurance to cover any accident, I will have to change mine. Dang and double dang.

What about people who don't have the funds to replace, just doesn't seem right!!
    Hardwired (not battery only) units are exempt.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    PD......if they are 20 years old, they may not work in an emergency. The sensors get "dirty" with dust, etc, and should be replaced.

Fire house may help you out...check your local one.....

Let us know...
    R

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    its a statewide not just AA. bought some from amazon last week..couple walmarts near me all ran out..

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Mine are 20 years old and battery operated, that I faithfully change twice a year. ****ing gov!

PD......if they are 20 years old, they may not work in an emergency. The sensors get "dirty" with dust, etc, and should be replaced.

Fire house may help you out...check your local one.....

Let us know...
    R

10 years is the accepted life expectancy of smoke detectors. As w2kbr posted, the detector may fail (or have a delayed alert) due to poor/lack of maintenance. Here's a link for more info: http://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/By-topic/Smoke-alarms

Early warning is one of the keys to surviving a structure fire.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I thought that was just for Rentals?

I had to upgrade mine in a rental.

It came down to this:

Hard wired AC Powered with 9V battery backup -> Replace with the same
    Battery only w/ 9V Battery -> Replace with 10 yr Battery unit.

Home depot, the sealed lithium 10yr units were not cheap. Like $30

You can now get them on amazon for $15.

If you add up the cost of 9V batteries, the 10 year units are worth it for the once and done aspect.

If you have gas/oil, you need to get the carbon monoxide detector also.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Same with hard wired SDs. Ten year life span. The sensors get old and stop working.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Are we required to replace all of our smoke alarms with the new 10 year battery by 1 Jan 2018?

The news report confused this oldMan.

If rental has to be done at change of tenancy. As of January 1, at the sale of property the new smoke detectors need to be in place.

Also, as of April 1, 2018, Carbon Monoxide detectors need to be installed, so you might want to look in to getting a Smoke/CO combination detector.

Info on both laws attached.

Attachments

• Smoke Alarm Md Law (July 2013).pdf
      30.2 KB · Views: 128
    • Carbon Monoxide Alarms (2017).docx
      27.4 KB · Views: 76

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Every one I've ever owned or bought says to replace after 10 years, regardless of the battery. It's the unit's sensor life.

That's separate and apart from the MD law.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    So the Nest protect CO & smoke alarms that have the replaceable batteries will not satisfy this new law based on the "tamper proof" clause. This is BS.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Same with hard wired SDs. Ten year life span. The sensors get old and stop working.

Every one I've ever owned or bought says to replace after 10 years, regardless of the battery. It's the unit's sensor life.

That's separate and apart from the MD law.

So the Nest protect CO & smoke alarms that have the replaceable batteries will not satisfy this new law based on the "tamper proof" clause. This is BS.

It ain't got nothin to do wiff the batteries.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

Part of the Maryland Smoke Alarm Law requires those with battery-powered smoke detectors and those with no detectors to install tamper-resistant alarms by Monday. The law will affect 800,000 homes, according to the Maryland Office of the Fire Marshal.

http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/ac-cn-smoke-alarm-law-20171227-story.html

From the linked article:
    Stores stopped selling removable battery alarms a few years ago
    BS You can still find these in many stores. I don't know about AA county, but 2 Home Depots near me still had them.

So many articles the way they are written read ambiguous and people who have removable battery alarms which are also AC powered are thinking they MUST replace them because they are focusing on the removable battery part.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    [/B]

It ain't got nothin to do wiff the batteries.

It sounds like it does.
    I just replaced the old ones in the house with units that take AA batteries and not the ones with 10 year batteries.

They way I interpreted the linked articles is that detectors with replaceable batteries are a no go after Jan 1st.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    They way I interpreted the linked articles is that detectors with replaceable batteries are a no go after Jan 1st.

That's the thing , its units with ONLY replaceable batteries. not ANY unit with replaceable batteries.

I talked to a county inspector and he is seeing people pulling the AC powered ones that link to each other (alarm goes off downstairs and then the up stairs one goes off also cause they are linked) then replacing them with 10 year battery ones that are not linked. He's then rejecting them and then telling the owners to go out and get the linked ones with the replaceable batteries.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    From the linked article:
    BS You can still find these in many stores. I don't know about AA county, but 2 Home Depots near me still had them.

So many articles the way they are written read ambiguous and people who have removable battery alarms which are also AC powered are thinking they MUST replace them because they are focusing on the removable battery part.
    Believe they are still allowed sale of battery replaceable units till the end of the year.. after that they suppose to take them out of shelves. (from recollection)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom