Opinions on MD Eye Associate in PF for cataract surgery?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Ok, it’s time for cataract surgery. I’ve been working with MD Eye Associates in Prince Frederick, but get a bit of an “assembly line” feel with them. Quick discussion of lens options, then schedule.

What’s their rep?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    They are doing this for a long time. And yes, its a high volume practice. They have their own ambulatory surgery center. For most surgeries, volume is a good thing.

What premium lens did they sell you on ;-)

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    If you are uncomfortable get a second opinion.

Dr. Whitten did my Lasik and I referred a friend who went there after he had surgery at MD Eye Associates for his second eye (both of his surgery were cataract surgery). He has referred Dr. Witten to others (not his first surgeon at MD Eye Associates). We both literally had to drive by MD Eye Associates to get to Charlotte Hall.

http://www.whittenlasereye.com/locations/charlotte-hall/

Good luck.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    What premium lens did they sell you on ;-)

That's a whole other subject. My options are a toric, which corrects for astigmatism but doesn't adjust for distance, or an accomodative, which flexes to accomodate distances but doesn't correct for astigmatism. I was told that my astigmatism in the left eye is OK for an accomodative, but on the borderline in the right eye.

I'm reconsidering the lens, as well as the doctor.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    That's a whole other subject. My options are a toric, which corrects for astigmatism but doesn't adjust for distance, or an accomodative, which flexes to accomodate distances but doesn't correct for astigmatism. I was told that my astigmatism in the left eye is OK for an accomodative, but on the borderline in the right eye.

I'm reconsidering the lens, as well as the doctor.

The accommodating lenses have not achieved much of a market share.

There is now a multifocal toric lens available (AcrySof IQ ReSTOR) that allows both a multifocal implant and correction of regular astigmatism. Keep in mind that there are some downsides to multifocal lenses that are the result of the physics involved. There is some risk of night-time glare and your best visual acuity is necessarily slightly degraded compared with a monofocal lens.

The multifocal and accommodating lenses are for those who absolutely have to get rid of glasses. If you can live your life (like the rest of us) with some readers in your pocket, then monofocal torics may be your best option.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I had cataract surgery done this summer by Dr. Whiten. Surgery was performed at St. Mary's hospital in Leonardtown. I did opt for the multifocal lenses, paying out of pocket $900 per eye for the option. I do have issues at night now, especially with red lights. A spider web effect is what I see surrounding car tailights. Distance vision is wonderful, better than I have ever had, unfortunately I now carry a $10 pair of reading glasses, the lowest power available to help with reading. A word of caution that I shared on MDS earlier, I was unexpectedly hit with a $2600.00 bill from the anesthesiologist, this after St. Mary's ensured me that my CIGNA PPO covered 100% of the procedure. Later I learned that the anesthesiologist at the hospital is a contractor outside of the hospital's billing.
    As far as Dr. Whiten and his practice, I was very satisfied with him and his staff.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    A multifocal is out of the question, as far as I'm concerned. I'm going to talk to the eye doctor again, discuss the issues. The optometerist who does my shooting glasses suggested a toric.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom