• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lennyo3034

Feb 28, 2011
    Has anybody seen these? I've seen what I believe are these in two separate places in Southern Maryland now.

hqdefault.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet

Apparently their stings are quite powerful and are known to kill humans. I'm more concerned about our honeybees as they attack beehives.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    We have some that look like that in the summer. They come flying out of the woods toward sour back light and are pretty loud when they fly into the aluminum siding.

Lennyo3034

Feb 28, 2011
    Most likely cicada killers as they were not aggressive. They just didn't have the right color when I saw them. Here is a picture I took at night. Difficult to make out.

20140909_202926_zpsl2ul44be.jpg

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Holy crap!

They may have a surge in population with last years cicada brood. It looks like they lay their eggs into dead cicadas and use them as a way to feed their offspring once they hatch.

They seem to be worthwhile to keep around the house. I may just buy a couple tons of sand to build a habitat for them.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Holy crap!

They may have a surge in population with last years cicada brood. It looks like they lay their eggs into dead cicadas and use them as a way to feed their offspring once they hatch.

They seem to be worthwhile to keep around the house. I may just buy a couple tons of sand to build a habitat for them.

They paralyze the cicada.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ... The males don't sting.....
    As with most ant and wasp species, the males are rarely produced and have a special purpose (ref: Steve Martin).
    ...only the females and pretty you much have to stand on them to get them to do it.
    The workers we see are almost all females, so it would be wise to assume any you see will carry a stinger.
    Scary as all fu*k when they land on your shoulder.
    Yes.

These are probably European Hornets, although the larger Asian Hornet may be found here now as well. Do a search for images on each for a positive ID.

quattroginger

Feb 22, 2013
    DUDE!!!!!!!!! i have been battling these things since i bought my house in Hughesville 4 years ago. they are no joke and very aggressive. they come out when it starts cooling down at night. they are attracted to my outside lights. very loud when hitting my siding. i have been through 30 bottles of hornet spray. they come in my garage when i open door in mornings to leave for work, they get in my house sometimes. it sucks.

Lennyo3034

Feb 28, 2011
    DUDE!!!!!!!!! i have been battling these things since i bought my house in Hughesville 4 years ago. they are no joke and very aggressive. they come out when it starts cooling down at night. they are attracted to my outside lights. very loud when hitting my siding. i have been through 30 bottles of hornet spray. they come in my garage when i open door in mornings to leave for work, they get in my house sometimes. it sucks.

This has been my experience as well. However, based on my understanding of Asian giant hornets, we would have been stung already if that's what they were.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    This has been my experience as well. However, based on my understanding of Asian giant hornets, we would have been stung already if that's what they were.

Tennis rackets work well. Bored in the summer as a kid, I used to stand over the holes in the ground and swat them. I didn't realize how (mostly) harmless they were. I was concerned they might attack our family dog at the time.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Leave a bug zapper light out if it's that big of a concern for you. BTW, if you find a ground nest of Yellow Jackets, put a bug zapper near the nest well after dark, get as far away as you can from it, then plug in the bug zapper. The whole nest will come out to attack the intruder and kill themselves on it.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    Leave a bug zapper light out if it's that big of a concern for you. BTW, if you find a ground nest of Yellow Jackets, put a bug zapper near the nest well after dark, get as far away as you can from it, then plug in the bug zapper. The whole nest will come out to attack the intruder and kill themselves on it.

:party29: I will try this next time I find a yellow jacket nest.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Probably Euro Hornets. They look like the Asian Hornets, but are way way less aggressive.
    If they were Asians, you'd know. Not even Godzilla wants to mess with those.

Mhvzhvg.png

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Did you get stung playing around with that monster and if so, how much of your arm did they have to amputate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom