• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    ... the Most Powerful Automatic Pistol in the World (at the time, in theory).

I'd been half-heartedly looking for one for a while but these rarely show up for sale.
    Not a lot of info out there, but the short version is only around 250 or so were made (number estimates vary) in 1956-58 time frame.

This is one of the first 50 that was actually made in Detroit by J. Kimball Arms.

The blowback design used a groove(s) cut in the chamber to delay the extraction of the shell, along with a short-throw buffer tube.
    The barrel travels within the frame for maybe a 1/4" or so.
    Interestingly enough Colt used the same idea with the chamber grooves for the National Match Mid-Range .38 Special
    which is a pure blow-back action.

It's just weird in all aspects, including a poorly-placed magazine release button,
    strange and poorly placed safety (sliding lock bar on right side of frame), extractor and some other stuff I can't readily identify.

The system just simply wasn't strong enough for the .30 carbine round and many reportedly suffered slide and frame damage, including complete failures.
    Also note the price of $215 which was some serious coin back then.

But it's still pretty cool and fits in my "failed and/or unsuccessful designs" collection.

and no, I won't be shooting this one.

Attachments

• old ad.jpg
      old ad.jpg
      120.6 KB · Views: 665
    • JK-1.jpg
      JK-1.jpg
      41.9 KB · Views: 777
    • JK-2.jpg
      JK-2.jpg
      84.9 KB · Views: 594
    • JK-3.jpg
      JK-3.jpg
      110 KB · Views: 629
    • JK-5ns.jpg
      JK-5ns.jpg
      96.6 KB · Views: 620
    • US2846926-0.jpg
      US2846926-0.jpg
      60.8 KB · Views: 621
    • US2846926-1.jpg
      US2846926-1.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 601

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I don't mean to stray too far off topic but.......
    I love oddball stuff like that.
    Not firearm related but I'm always on the lookout for strange tools and kitchen gadgets. My favorite is probably my Monta push mower. Like your Kimball it's one of the all time worst designs and the last thing you'd want to do is actually use it for what it was designed for.

So, you gonna tell us what you dropped on the Kimball ?

Attachments

• montamower.jpg
      montamower.jpg
      24.6 KB · Views: 516

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    So the Kimball arrived! Spectacular condition, thankfully it appears that previous owner(s) didn't run many, if any, rounds through it. Your collection does have a fascinating "Island of Misfit Toys" section, doesn't it? That's stuff that I find so interesting about collecting in general.

Jul 1, 2012
    Cool! Are you going to get one of each caliber offered to make the collection complete?:D

From what I can tell only the .30 cal and .22 Hornet were actually made, the Hornet being extremely rare.
    That ad was one of those over-reaches I think :)

I don't mean to stray too far off topic but.......
    I love oddball stuff like that.
    Not firearm related but I'm always on the lookout for strange tools and kitchen gadgets. My favorite is probably my Monta push mower. Like your Kimball it's one of the all time worst designs and the last thing you'd want to do is actually use it for what it was designed for.

So, you gonna tell us what you dropped on the Kimball ?

That looks like something out of a horror movie!
    I got the Kimball for less than Blue Book... not cheap but not crazy either.

So the Kimball arrived! Spectacular condition, thankfully it appears that previous owner(s) didn't run many, if any, rounds through it. Your collection does have a fascinating "Island of Misfit Toys" section, doesn't it? That's stuff that I find so interesting about collecting in general.

... still looking for an original (not Numrich-assembled) Dardick :)

The Kimball is missing a couple of small parts... the grips actually hold some stuff in place, and apparently someone removed the grips and lost the tiny spring for the slide hold-back, and the lock key for the mag release button. Just another example of an academic vice practical design.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Do you have other odd balls? Someone should start a thread called "guess the firearm" because something like the Kimball would be a stumper.

Thanks for posting the information on a firearm oddity.

Jul 1, 2012
    heh, heh... yup I like the oddballs and unsuccessful stuff ...
    These are two I'd never heard of and were "impulse buys" that turned out to be pretty uncommon.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      41.9 KB · Views: 440
    • 2s.jpg
      2s.jpg
      102.3 KB · Views: 591

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Always liked the French pistols myself. Never shot one, never owned one, but they've always intrigued me.

It's a shame that French 7.65 Long pistol ammo is long out of production and difficult to hand make because the Mle 1935a and 1935s pistols are sweet. It's at the top of my wish list for brass or ammo production by a manuf. Values for both versions would probably skyrocket if they could be shot.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I did a search on GB; only one Kimball pistol was sold since May (as far back as the GB listings seem to go); it sold for 1850 around the beginning of July. Looks like the seller started out at 2500, and dropped the price until he got a bite.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    That's neat. I have always been intrigued by handguns that could shoot .30 carbine. Been thirsting for a Blackhawk or Automag in .30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom