• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I'm thinking of thining out my AK collection for something newer. In searching values of Polytech Legends I was shocked! Used like mine sell and have sold for $2500+, I was this close to take mine to Chantilly today and ask for$1500. I've got to re-think this.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Huge range depending on the variant. Though that's about where they have been or a while if milled or one of the rarer stamped Polytech variants. I thought all legends were milled.

Wouldn't say they are an easy sell at $2k plus but its not unheard of.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have actually seen 3 in my life that were sheet metal either marked or in legend boxes. Wouldn't have beleived it if I hadn't seen them myself. A guy on here named John( not sure his screek name) had 1 he showed me new in the box.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    Milled, I've had it for over twentyfive years, haven't shot it in twenty. I have an Maadi shooter, Clayco is still unfired ( I believe more rare then Legends) and I take the 84s out every once and awhile.

Attachments

• DSCN0451.JPG
      DSCN0451.JPG
      87.3 KB · Views: 863

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Someone offered me 2k for my nib poly spiker. I wasn't going to shoot it and wasn't an AK collector so, I let it go. Definitely rethink it.

windyhill

Mar 24, 2011
    I remember being at a Virginia Beach gun show in the late eighties seeing these for about 400 bucks.....who would want that Chinese stuff :banghead:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Yep, I sold my milled Mak-90 on GunsAmerica a couple years ago for $1200.

OP - those are some sweet AKs!!

That was a great price. I think the milled ones are still hovering around there. People are still buying them for de-ban conversions, but it's not the simplest to do. They're all slant back, underfolder style receivers, but without being milled yet for an underfolder stock.

Edit: I see one for $1100 that didn't sell get dropped to $1k, still no takers.

Are they valuable for collectible reasons, or are they that much superior in built quality to, say, an Arsenal? (I don't know AK's)

A little bit of both. They are 100% foreign made AKs since they were imported prior to 1989, unlike Arsenals that are partially assembled in the US (evil features added here) and have 922r compliance parts. What you see is what a foreign, state-owned/run factory made to mil-spec, not what was assembled in the US. That's not to say that every one is "perfect" in quality, just mil-spec. I came across a new in box Polytech underfolder last year that had a horribly canted gas block and front sight block, but that was in spec.

Since Chinese AKs are banned from import and that's unlikely to change, there won't be any more available. You see the same thing with other AKs that are no longer imported, especially the other pre-1989 ones. Hungarian and Egyptian AKs go for stupid money as well, though not as much as a milled Chinese. With the latest Russian sanctions, Izhmash and Molot AKs will soon rise higher in price.

Last edited:

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Are they valuable for collectible reasons, or are they that much superior in built quality to, say, an Arsenal? (I don't know AK's)

+1 to what Ken said.

Chinese AKs have decent build quality and a number of "old school" features that you can't find on other AKM pattern rifle. Like: blued finishes, polished bolt carriers, grips with ferrules, older sight blocks and gas tubes. Most people wouldn't care but an AK nut will. The Legend is as close to an classic AK as most people will ever get.

They were imported without needing to be rebuilt/remanufactured in the US. They haven't been imported for decades so there's now a serious supply/demand dynamic at play.

TL-DR they are more expensive mostly for collectible reasons, although build quality IS better than Arsenals. Machining is good and the stamped receivers are heavier. Trigger is quite nice for factory although not a 2-stage.

For those of us passionate about AKs, Chinese also have a number of cool unique builds that are historically interesting, like folding spike bayonets and bakelite side folders.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Canada is importing the most unique AK ever made, the 84-S. Canada..... for a grand no less.

I believe all AKs are in the prohibited category in Canada, and you can't even own one with a restricted permit like you could with an AR or handgun. The 84S family isn't that unique either. I still see them all the time here in the US. They're cheaper than a 7.62 in the same configuration too. I guess the $100+ for an original magazine might be part of it.

Chinese AKs are still available in European commercial markets too, in those countries that allow them. A Finnish member on The AK Forum picked up a Norinco MPS for $365 USD. It's a long barreled 56S that was imported for reservists.

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    I wrongly put down 84 when I was talking about the 81-S. yes Canada is allowing them. Tactical imports in bringing them in. The 81-S is quite unique.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I put my Norinco Bakelite side folder (56S-2) up for sale 2 weeks ago in the middle of the night on about 5 forums. The price was $2800 shipped. It sold in exactly 60 minutes and by morning I had a list of guys calling "seconds". Prices on Chicoms are only going up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom