• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    How's it's going? Havnt been around in a while and thought I would share my ar308 build with you all. I'm still in the process of acquiring all the parts but I just picked up my upper and lower receivers. So here it is and I'll keep updating as I build it.

Aero Precision M5e1 enhanced upper receiver
    Aero Precision M5 gen 2 lower lower receiver
    Aero Precision Mlock 15" hand guard
    Aero Precision LPK
    Geissele ssa-e trigger
    JP 18" light conture barrel with rifle length gas tube
    JP adjustable gas block
    JP low mass BCG
    JP silent capture BS
    PWS buffer tube with ratchet lock castle nut
    Magpul furniture(not sure which stock yet)
    Bcm charge handle
    Trijicon 1-8x28 accupower with a JP mount.

I'm super excited to get it all together and just thought I would share with anybody that would be interested or have intentions of building a dpms style ar308.

Attachments

• IMG_0878.jpg
      IMG_0878.jpg
      66.7 KB · Views: 680

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    That is a really nice build. One thing I would reconsider is the JP Gas Block. They tend to be quite problematic.

I would return it and buy a SLR adjustable.

damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    I have a complete AP upper (16" 308) and love it. It's riding on a M1 Machining lower that I don't love so much.

I'll end up getting a matching lower from AP.

D.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Out of curiosity, could you let us know what gas setting you end up using and with what specific ammo ?

Thanks ahead of time !

So I finished my build and got to shoot it a few times today to function test and tune the gas block. I went with the slr sentry 7 adjustable block. Optimum setting was 7 clicks out from closed with xm80c ammo. I want to say it's 148 gr bullets but I can't remember off the top of my head. It was just cheap Walmart ammo that I picked up to function test the rifle. It's a sweet and smooth shooting piece with the low mass bolt carrier and silent capture spring from jp. I went with the apa little bastard brake. The felt recoil is like a 5.56. Seriously you would never know you were shooting a 308 if it wasn't for the concussive blast from the brake. I'm very happy with it.

Attachments

• IMG_1006.jpg
      IMG_1006.jpg
      60.5 KB · Views: 327

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    So I finished my build and got to shoot it a few times today to function test and tune the gas block. I went with the slr sentry 7 adjustable block. Optimum setting was 7 clicks out from closed with xm80c ammo. I want to say it's 148 gr bullets but I can't remember off the top of my head. It was just cheap Walmart ammo that I picked up to function test the rifle. It's a sweet and smooth shooting piece with the low mass bolt carrier and silent capture spring from jp. I went with the apa little bastard brake. The felt recoil is like a 5.56. Seriously you would never know you were shooting a 308 if it wasn't for the concussive blast from the brake. I'm very happy with it.

Looks pretty good. I have a similar Aero setup, only mine has a cheaper barrel and standard Aero BCG.

Did you have any fitment issues with the BCM charging handle? I really wanted one because I plan to run it suppressed and like it on my 556 builds, but I balked because I read of people having fitment issues with the Aero M5.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Looks pretty good. I have a similar Aero setup, only mine has a cheaper barrel and standard Aero BCG.

Did you have any fitment issues with the BCM charging handle? I really wanted one because I plan to run it suppressed and like it on my 556 builds, but I balked because I read of people having fitment issues with the Aero M5.

I actually went with the noveske super bad ass charge handle because it was on sale at rainier arms. I like it and have no clearance issues. I hear a griffin snatch is a good one to run if your going suppressed.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Out of curiosity, could you let us know what gas setting you end up using and with what specific ammo ?

Thanks ahead of time !

Seven clicks from closed seems to be a pretty good starting point for most guns. Pretty much all my guns run on seven(unsuppressed) from 10.5" 300blk SBR to 20" 5.56 rifle. The SLRs really shine when a suppressor is added.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I actually went with the noveske super bad ass charge handle because it was on sale at rainier arms. I like it and have no clearance issues. I hear a griffin snatch is a good one to run if your going suppressed.

I see, thanks.

Yeah, I was eyeing the griffin snatch but the base Aero charging handle has grown on me somewhat. I think I'm going to RTV it and see if that combined with the SLR controls gas to face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom