• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bryan9905

May 18, 2014
    I don't know anything about this pol except that he apparently saved our tails. What can you guys tell me about him? I haven't contributed a penny to any politician since Dan Bongino lost his Congressional race but I feel like I owe Zirkin. Am I missing anything?

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I don't know anything about this pol except that he apparently saved our tails. What can you guys tell me about him? I haven't contributed a penny to any politician since Dan Bongino lost his Congressional race but I feel like I owe Zirkin. Am I missing anything?

He is no friend of yours, nor your interests.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

He's not an ideological friend of 2A, but he's not a rabid SJW adversary, either, He's a moderate, pragmatic Democrat who really dislikes poorly written bills that will have unintended consequences because they're poorly thought out or worded. From what I've heard from those who have spoken with him, he can be influenced by well presented arguments backed by documented facts.

Compared to loony-left members like Del. Moon, and simply malicious pols like Dumais who seem to get sadistic pleasure out of abusing pro-2A, pro due process Marylanders, Sen. Zirkin is Charleton Heston.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    He's not an ideological friend of 2A, but he's not a rabid SJW adversary, either, He's a moderate, pragmatic Democrat who really dislikes poorly written bills that will have unintended consequences because they're poorly thought out or worded. From what I've heard from those who have spoken with him, he can be influenced by well presented arguments backed by documented facts.

Compared to loony-left members like Del. Moon, and simply malicious pols like Dumais who seem to get sadistic pleasure out of abusing pro-2A, pro due process Marylanders, Sen. Zirkin is Charleton Heston.

Agreed on all counts! You can talk reason with Sen. Zirkin and he listens. He also prides himself as a very good lawyer who understands precedent and the need for legislation to be properly crafted. These qualities put him in the top tier of all the members of the General Assembly in my book. That's not to say I agree with him, but I *can* talk to him.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Agreed on all counts! You can talk reason with Sen. Zirkin and he listens. He also prides himself as a very good lawyer who understands precedent and the need for legislation to be properly crafted. These qualities put him in the top tier of all the members of the General Assembly in my book. That's not to say I agree with him, but I *can* talk to him.

He does seem like a good legislator. I disagree with most of his politics.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    ... and he generally runs with minimal opposition.

Which I consider a travesty because it's a winnable district for the GOP.

Just because someone has (R) after his or her name, it doesn't mean they are pro 2A. I think we're better off with Zirkin where he is, especially with crazies and lazies introducing extreme anti-2A legislation that also happens to be really poorly written. I don't really care why the bills fail, as long as they fail.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Just because someone has (R) after his or her name, it doesn't mean they are pro 2A. I think we're better off with Zirkin where he is, especially with crazies and lazies introducing extreme anti-2A legislation that also happens to be really poorly written. I don't really care why the bills fail, as long as they fail.

Hard to say. More Republicans eats away at the 3/5 majority and gives us more leverage. More leverage is never a bad thing. At the end of the day, Republicans and Dems vote as a block.

OTOH, if Zirkin got serious SJW opposition that might mean he loses the primary, and there is no serious R contender, I'd recommend he change affiliation and come over to the dark side. He'd win as a R too.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Zirkin won't lose his next primary in 2022 unless he stumbles and does something on other issues (not gun control) that those in his party get more fired up about. If he switches parties, he loses his chair position in the Senate judiciary committee. Right now the MDAers that are angry at him for not fully bending knee to Queen Atterbeary are left with threatening him that they will interfere with any attempt by him to become Senate president when/if Miller steps down.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If anyone has followed him I think a reasonable description would be moderate Democrat with logic. He is not going to bring a bill out that isn't well thought out and is going to get tossed in the courts...or at least he tries not to.

He will even bring garbage bills out to watch them die to prove a point.

All things considered I think he's done a good job. He doesn't fall pray to social pressures and from my understanding he's willing to listen and does take other view points into consideration.

I'm not sure what his end game is in the political world but he's lining himself up for long term success in this State at least.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I have no problem with Zirkin. I'll take a reasonable and rational Dem any time. Problem is they're pretty thin on the ground in MD.

I also saw Vallario as a worthy legislator. Didn't always agree, but he was a reasonably impartial chairman. I was saddened to see that he lost re-election.

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    Come on guys, the guy won a wizzing match in a clash of egos with a freshman legislator. Good for him, but he isn’t a friend of the 2A.

With that said, he seems like a guy’s guy, but he’d vote for UBCs faster than you can blink...if they came with about two ounces of less sass. I give him credit this session, but don’t let the smooth taste fool ya....he is an anti.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    This is Maryland. You take whatever advantages that might exist. A nearly rational legislator in a position of power is better than a General Assembly full of Dumaises and Atterbearys.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    This is Maryland. You take whatever advantages that might exist. A nearly rational legislator in a position of power is better than a General Assembly full of Dumaises and Atterbearys.

:thumbsup:

The sad state of Maryland.

:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom