• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SchmopieMopie

Nov 30, 2019
    Unfortunately two years ago I had to move to Maryland. Hopefully only temporarily, but for now I'm here to stay. Before I lived in West Virginia, A much more free state and I own a number of firearms that I purchased/was given when I lived there.

- (1) Glock, G-26 9MM, gifted to me by my former father in law
    - (1) Armalite Ar-15 (DEF15F) with a military cut barrel with bayonet cutout (non-hbar) the site classifies it as a Heavy Barrel this is the exact rifle. (https://www.armalite.com/product/m15-def15-defensive-sporting-rifle/)
    - (1) AR-Pistol, i built myself from a stripped lower muti-cal, with an 11.5-inch barrel(full barrel, no cutouts, not pencil) and Compensator(Lantac Dragon) w/brace
    - (1) Rugger 10/22
    - (1) Mosin Nagant 1943/85? I think
    - (1) Keystone Cricket single-shot 22LR

I've spoken to a number of people and gun stores and I've gotten conflicting information. I'm way past my 90-day residency window and would prefer to live above the law. Would I be in trouble now if I were to register my firearms and bring them into the state and keep them in my domicile? Or do I have no options and must leave them with relatives out of state? I do not have any bills of sale for ownership of any of my firearms except maybe my handgun, but it was purchased in 2015 and given to me in 2016. I just need to know what I should do, any advice is appreciated.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    The last three, the rifles, are no issue at all. They're unregulated long guns, no registration necessary.
    The AR advertised as having a "heavy profile barrel" should fall under the HBAR exemption as defined by MSP, in which case it's as unregulated as the other rifles. But MSP isn't known for consistency in interpreting MD's obnoxiously ambiguous firearms laws, so I won't say I'm certain I'm correct about that. It sure wouldn't hurt to print out a copy of the manufacturer's web page that says it's heavy barrel, and save it for your records.

For the other stuff, I'd strongly suggest talking to an attorney rather than asking on this forum.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    If you have your HQL, I wonder if you could have them transferred/shipped from an FFL in West Virginia to an FFL in MD? Then just do the paperwork to take possession. This is not legal advise and I’m not a lawyer.

SchmopieMopie

Nov 30, 2019
    Am i required to register them, even if they are stored out of state in a place that doesn't require registration? It is very complicated. Hopefully, someone has dealt with a similar situation or can recommend a lawyer or legal team that can assist me.

SchmopieMopie

Nov 30, 2019
    I would leave them out of state. Look at this thread, the poor guy is selling everything. MD SUCKS!

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=240107

I saw his post, his issue was a misdemeanor charge from another state. My record is clean, I just missed my 90-day window but I never transferred them into the state, but I can bring my long guns if I want to. The ars and the pistol might have to stay a state over.

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    IANAL but have read the MD law and by the way its written I think by registering them at this point could be problematic given your past the 90 day point.

What you could do is get an HQL and get your own MD registered handguns.

Also I'm pretty sure the 90 day registration window only applies to handguns as they are considered to be "regulated firearms" in Maryland for new MD residents.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you have your HQL, I wonder if you could have them transferred/shipped from an FFL in West Virginia to an FFL in MD? Then just do the paperwork to take possession. This is not legal advise and I’m not a lawyer.

This makes sense to me, since the guns themselves haven't been brought to Maryland yet. It seems this way Maryland could treat them as new acquisitions.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also I'm pretty sure the 90 day registration window only applies to handguns as they are considered to be "regulated firearms" in Maryland for new MD residents.

No, it also applies to formerly regulated long guns (now banned), if they were purchases prior to 10/1/13

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'd be inclined to leave them out of Maryland's hands and awareness, myself, especially if they're safe and comfortable where they are. Very grabby tyranny here. There's no reason to trust MD, and plenty of reasons not to.

I'm not paranoid, just cynical, with good reason.

SchmopieMopie

Nov 30, 2019
    Quick update for everyone who was kind enough to respond or engage my post.

I spoke to the MD State Police a few weeks back. A very friendly Sgt Edwards heard me out, understood my situation and appreciated my forwardness and communication.

As for my Ruger, Mosin and Arma-lite, they require no registration or paperwork of any kind. Because they are not banned, and only 1 of the three could be argued as a copy cat rifle he recommended I print the manufacturer product description, which luckily for me calls it a Heavy Profile Barrel, he considered it safe as long as I keep a copy of the Manufacturer Paperwork and would grandfather the rifle going forward. As for my Glock and my Ar-pistol, he did say they were regulated firearms. He did say that despite my 90day window being closed, but since I had not brought them to the state,, they were not banned he would take care of it.

Considering the gray nature of my inquiry I'm grateful for Sgt Edwards willingness to help me. With his help I was able to submit my Registration for my Glock and AR-Pistol, both of which were approved within 2 weeks of submission. I never had to appeal anything or justify my paperwork despite the AR-Pistol not meeting the registration premade data fields.

This has been an enlightening and refreshing experience that has shown me a few things.

1. The Police generically do not "want" to restrict your rights.
    2. The State Police will do everything they can to assist you within the law.
    3. The law, as it is written it incomplete and I'm grateful for that. (As if to leave a loophole)
    4. 2nd amendment rights are not dead in Maryland thanks to a large number of activists and organizations.

Is this scenario Right? Constitutional? Legal? .... I don't know. But I'm a legal Ar-15 Owning, gun loving, State resident and I do not believe anyone's coming for my firearms, if they try to take them, my guns will make their way home to WV again. Thank you, God Bless, and Merry Christmas!

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I m glad you were able to resolve your questions in an aboveboard and forthright manner. The only thing in addition I would do is to be sure you document your conversation with MSP. There are often differing interpretations between troopers. An email to the trooper confirming your conversation would go a long way to establish your intent should follow on interactions go a different way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom