• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    No one on the steps, Moms or otherwise, will be controlling the narrative. Heck I doubt most people will even get in.

All the media will see is a bunch of protestors. The journalists with a pass are the ones with the narrative.

Schipperke is this you?

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    So Ginsburg appeared to at least challenge the wisdom (if not the constitutionality) of the NYC ordinance in considering public safety ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/02/us/politics/second-amendment-supreme-court.html

But even if it's obvious to her now after New York labored mightily to walk back the transport restriction, remember ...

... that the lower courts were completely fine with the regulation.

I couldn’t believe my ears when I heard RBG point out that the transport ban made guns more accessible to criminals.

It seemed to me that they focused on mootness because the 2A aspects of the law were so obvious.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    As some have already pointed out...four conservative Justices will vote for the Second Amendment...the four liberal Justices will vote against it to moot the case. It will come down to Chief Justice Roberts...and he's proven squishy enough to not want to upset the apple cart any more than he feels necessary...and that I find disturbing that he may not stand for the Constitutional principles that are obviously at risk here. He can go either way...and that's scary.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    So failing to ask for damages might have sunk the whole thing - isn't that legal 101 and if so, why wasn't it done? It's hard to imagine that as an oversight given the possible magnitude of the case.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I’m torn. If it gets mootified, doesn’t that reduce the risk of a rare 2A opportunity being squandered on a very narrow ruling, and leave the other pending cases out in the open? Because those also raise plainly broad 2A issues and seem not as fragile on other ways.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I’m torn. If it gets mootified, doesn’t that reduce the risk of a rare 2A opportunity being squandered on a very narrow ruling, and leave the other pending cases out in the open? Because those also raise plainly broad 2A issues and seem not as fragile on other ways.

There are at least a half dozen 2A cases waiting in the wings (being held) that could be granted as early as Friday.

I am torn, but not for the same reason. Mootness muddies this case, so the opinion in this case will always have an asterisk. This is not (now) a great case on which to issue an opinion.

The main problem with mootness as I have said before is that the case is moot if and only if the underlying law was constitutional. If it was constitutional, plaintiffs got everything that they asked for. If it was unconstitutional, plaintiffs are entitled to an injunction, all that goes with that, and to sue for damages. Its now impossible to disentangle mootness with the merits.

Mootness is ok with me if they grant cert on another case. Better yet, I think that they should grant another case, hold this one, and GVR this one in June. Then have the lower court sort out the mootness mess.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    So failing to ask for damages might have sunk the whole thing - isn't that legal 101 and if so, why wasn't it done? It's hard to imagine that as an oversight given the possible magnitude of the case.

Because if you ask for damages early in the case, they can just settle the case and pay you off instead of fixing their behavior. Especially when the monetary damages are a few hundred dollars in increased range membership fees and some gun rentals in NJ.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County

I'm surprised that the homeless have not been addressed as well. Do they not have a right to self defense? How do you register a gun to your home, when you do not have a home?

There were many issues that could have been addressed. I assume they thought they had it in the bag (the law was so bad) that it was a slam dunk at SCOTUS. Once the law was changed, they did not adjust accordingly.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    You can't adjust your lawsuit at the SC, you're stuck with the claims you made at the district court and maintained on appeal. Thus the fight over if 1983 damages are assumed or not, and Alito asking how anyone could have anticipated NYC/NY's attempt to moot the case after cert was granted when drafting their district court filing back in 2013.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'm surprised that the homeless have not been addressed as well. Do they not have a right to self defense? How do you register a gun to your home, when you do not have a home?

Remember that you have to actually produce someone with standing, and they have to stick around - at least at only arm's length - from the entire process, which will last years. It's going to be hard to find a homeless complainant that could go along for this kind of ride through the end.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD

There were many issues that could have been addressed. I assume they thought they had it in the bag (the law was so bad) that it was a slam dunk at SCOTUS. Once the law was changed, they did not adjust accordingly.

That's a good point. Another issue for me is the VERY specific places that one is permitted to exercise their 2nd amendment rights. It's like saying your first amendment right is only protected in your home and while traveling to an authorized library.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Thing is they took this 2A case, the least impactful one of all before them. Held all the others, who’s to say they don’t not this one and deny all the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom