Handgun permit...how long did yours take?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbleitch9

Jan 26, 2011
    Annapolis
    Hey Guys, first off I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section. I'm a newbie to the forums.

So, I was wondering how long it took you guys(who have handgun permits) to get them from MSP? I've been told it can take anywhere from 3-6 months. I'm going to be working as armed security for a buddies company. I submitted my completed package to MSP last week and noticed they cashed the check today...1 week from submission. How long would you think it will take them from this point to contact me for interview? I have a clean background, no arrests or anything, DoD security clearance, and have a LEO as one of my references. So, I'm hoping all that will expedite the process. After interview, how long does it typically take to receive permits/licenses?

Look forward to hearing from you guys...thanks in advance! :beer:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The entire process took about a month an a half.. That's if you qualify.

This includes the initial interview, background checks,reference checks, appointment for a final interview... then the yellow card shows up in the mail about a week later.

cbleitch9

Jan 26, 2011
    Annapolis
    What are disqualifying factors?

The company wrote a letter to MSP stating the reasoning was for employment purposes - armed security. I have a totally clean background, LEO as reference, etc. I don't know what they could disqualify me for.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD

The company wrote a letter to MSP stating the reasoning was for employment purposes - armed security. I have a totally clean background, LEO as reference, etc. I don't know what they could disqualify me for.

You will get one if it's armed security. It will be valid while on duty. Employment of that kind seems to get a turn around of 1 to 1.5 months.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location

you may need professional liability insurance to go with that application if you are going that route.

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    There is really only one disqualifying factor, and that is....
    the MSP doesn't think you should have a permit.

That's that.

What do you think you are, some sort of Wyatt Earp, wanting to shoot up the place?? :innocent0

cbleitch9

Jan 26, 2011
    Annapolis
    So, as of today, MSP cashed the second check. For those of you who have permits, when were you called in for the interview in relation to when the checks were cashed?

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    It took me 4 months total process time ... and they usually mail them to your employer ..

after about 6 weeks i got my interveiw then about 2 months later got my permit ... going through renewal now ..

cbleitch9

Jan 26, 2011
    Annapolis
    Some others have said turn around time lately is 1-1.5 months for employment purposes. I'm hoping that's true!

This is week 3 and I just received a letter in the mail from Dept of Public Safety stating that my Maryland criminal history record check was completed and now a nationwide check is being initiated. Is that quick for being 3 weeks into the process?

When you guys received that letter in the mail, how long did it take them to contact you for interview?

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I haven't had one since 1990. Back then it took a total of 2 1/2 months from submission to reciept of the permit at my employer. It was given to me to carry but I had to surrender it when I left the company. Unfortunately you will only be able to carry when engaged for employment. I guess it is still the same meaning. We were legal to carry our weapons to/from work but that was it. Good Luck. Who ya working for?

cbleitch9

Jan 26, 2011
    Annapolis
    So, I did my interview with MSP almost 2 weeks ago. I spoke to my employer and he said that the detective has never called him yet and that they always do prior to issuing permits. For all of you who have permits for employment purposes, did the detective contact your employer when doing the background check?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    He'll get the permit most likely for armed security and it will be valid on duty only.

Basically, all those other things are nice, but to the MSP, an armed citizen is a greater threat than all the bangers in Baltimore, PG and DC put together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom