• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Without everyone getting butthurt, I'm seriously asking what pro 2A battles have been won in this state? The only one I know of is the spent shell requirement and that had to do with money not politics.
    In the years since the FSA2013:

-Shell casing requirement gone
    -SBRs no longer on the handgun roster
    -Fingerprints no longer required for carry permit renewals
    -Largely prevented any more restrictive legislation from becoming law, including outright bans and criminal penalties for guns on campuses, requiring all private transfers of long guns to go thru a FFL, and fending off redundant and egregious mandatory minimum sentences for carrying without a permit.

Last session was looking good for moving the chains forward a bit. Bills that lessened the required hours for carry permit training to six, and moving that training requirement from before you apply to after the MSP has approved you for a permit (this is what DC does) both passed out of the House judiciary committee. The House leadership then forced us to choose one bill to move. We went with moving the training component. It passed the House completely and first-reader in the Senate, but Senator Madaleno from MoCo got an amendment attached to it on Sine Die, dooming it within an hour or so of the end of the session.

Some of this stuff may seem like small potatoes, but hey, this isn't WV or UT. These things don't come easy and a lot of people spend a lot of time in Annapolis to make opportunities happen. From folks picketing, writing letters, visiting legislators, working relationships, and speaking to the media; there's a lot to do and never enough people doing it.

MD is in rough shape, but CA, NJ, NY, CT, MA, and HI it is not. Work to keep it from getting there. Work to turn the tide. Get your friends, family members, co-workers, and anyone else you know involved.

The legislative session isn't much longer than a month from beginning and it's a three-month period of time in which segments of our legislature try to erode, destroy, eviscerate, and infringe upon your rights. Stand in their way.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker

-Largely prevented any more restrictive legislation from becoming law, including outright bans and criminal penalties for guns on campuses, requiring all private transfers of long guns to go thru a FFL, and fending off redundant and egregious mandatory minimum sentences for carrying without a permit.

Last session was looking good for moving the chains forward a bit. Bills that lessened the required hours for carry permit training to six, and moving that training requirement from before you apply to after the MSP has approved you for a permit (this is what DC does) both passed out of the House judiciary committee. The House leadership then forced us to choose one bill to move. We went with moving the training component. It passed the House completely and first-reader in the Senate, but Senator Madaleno from MoCo got an amendment attached to it on Sine Die, dooming it within an hour or so of the end of the session.

Some of this stuff may seem like small potatoes, but hey, this isn't WV or UT. These things don't come easy and a lot of people spend a lot of time in Annapolis to make opportunities happen. From folks picketing, writing letters, visiting legislators, working relationships, and speaking to the media; there's a lot to do and never enough people doing it.

MD is in rough shape, but CA, NJ, NY, CT, MA, and HI it is not. Work to keep it from getting there. Work to turn the tide. Get your friends, family members, co-workers, and anyone else you know involved.

The legislative session isn't much longer than a month from beginning and it's a three-month period of time in which segments of our legislators try to erode, destroy, eviscerate, and infringe upon your rights. Stand in their way.

:thumbsup: I am happy I put my money where my mouth is . Glad to be onboard .

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Back in the 60s we said, "If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem." Is the Patriot Picket THE solution? Not by a long shot. Is it stepping into a void and "holding the light" until other initiatives coalesce and jump in? BY ALL MEANS. Will I continue to stand with my fellow PPers and hold the line? Count on it. And I'll be at the HPRB meeting tomorrow night.

Henry Ford said, "Whether you believe you can or you believe you can't, you're probably right." That's the nub of the matter.

When we put out the call to action for folks to come out for a rally, and we get approximately 50 people to show up--that's 50 out of 23,000! That's 2 one thousandths of ONE PERCENT. I have growing impatience with folks who have thousands and tens of thousands of posts on MDS and who are satisfied with encouraging others to have the courage of their (the posters') convictions. And to those who are long on critique from behind their keyboards, I can only commend the words of Theodore Roosevelt:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

The legislative session isn't much longer than a month from beginning and it's a three-month period of time in which segments of our legislators try to erode, destroy, eviscerate, and infringe upon your rights. Stand in their way.

Wise beyond your years, young Padewan. Glad you're on our side.

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    So it appears we have been able to get in the way of the commies in Annapolis. Is there a list or report card of the 2A stance of MD politicians or candidates? I would like to get active now and would like a good starting point.

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    Thanks for the compliments, OP. Truly appreciated!

What do you think we could do to make it even better?

The best way I've been able to get my point across to uneducated people is to put a gun in their hands. Most people I've encountered have some idea which is false and shooting and talking never has failed me. Even my mother in law became interested after years of arguing and labeling me. She passed away before she could buy a gun but I know I changed her mind and position. Perhaps we could host a try shooting day - who knows. Many people are interested but have no idea where to begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Back in the 60s we said, "If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem." Is the Patriot Picket THE solution? Not by a long shot. Is it stepping into a void and "holding the light" until other initiatives coalesce and jump in? BY ALL MEANS. Will I continue to stand with my fellow PPers and hold the line? Count on it. And I'll be at the HPRB meeting tomorrow night.

Henry Ford said, "Whether you believe you can or you believe you can't, you're probably right." That's the nub of the matter.

When we put out the call to action for folks to come out for a rally, and we get approximately 50 people to show up--that's 50 out of 23,000! That's 2 one thousandths of ONE PERCENT. I have growing impatience with folks who have thousands and tens of thousands of posts on MDS and who are satisfied with encouraging others to have the courage of their (the posters') convictions. And to those who are long on critique from behind their keyboards, I can only commend the words of Theodore Roosevelt:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Great post!

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    So it appears we have been able to get in the way of the commies in Annapolis. Is there a list or report card of the 2A stance of MD politicians or candidates? I would like to get active now and would like a good starting point.

That's more like it!

Get acquainted with the General Assembly's website
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frm1st.aspx?tab=home

On the homepage, Guns are usually listed as a highly-searched topic. This link will show you all the gun-related bills from last session. You can also search years prior.
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...bjpage&tab=subject3&id=guns&stab=01&ys=2017RS

You can also find out who your legislators are here:
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frm1st.aspx?tab=home&poptype=find&popid=

The NRA-ILA has a pretty comprehensive history of what's been going on:
    https://www.nraila.org/legal-legisl...&endDate=&search=&contentBuckets=#latest-news

They also keep a scorecard of legislators. You need to be a NRA member to see them. Here they are from the 2014 elections: https://www.nrapvf.org/grades/archive/2014/Maryland

AND OF COURSE you can always check out www.marylandshallissue.org. Become a member if you'd like, or in the very least sign up for the mailing list to keep abreast of things going on across the state. 2018 is an election year and it's a safe bet to make that there will be some bad bills introduced.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

:mdpatriot

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Until more than a vast preponderance of old white guys raise a fuss over gun rights, it's all up to the law suits and judges. I know of not one MoCo politico losing sleep over a lost vote due to gun control. Same could be said for PG, Charles and Baltimore most likely. As William Donald Schaefer astutely put it, there is Maryland and then the Sh*t house of Maryland with no political pull.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Until more than a vast preponderance of old white guys raise a fuss over gun rights, it's all up to the law suits and judges.

Exactly!!

When the current electorate of "old white guys" goes so are 2A rights. When someone decides to wade into Baltimore and try and turn it around things could change. That person will get my undying support. Until then I'm not holding my breath that 2A rights will get better. Winning small judicial battles is great but the war is won at the ballot box. The Supreme Court has redefined the war.

I support all groups and my initial question that started the bitch session was, Does MSI see the need for a change given the current stymie stance of the Supreme Court? Guess not. All is well in Whoville.

"What is essential in war is victory, not prolonged operations."

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    You naysayers go ahead and bend over and grease up.

As for me, if I am finally enslaved after fighting the efforts of my adversaries to restrict my 2A rights, my spent worthless body is all that they will get for their efforts.

Attachments

• 20171204_222638.jpg
      20171204_222638.jpg
      37.8 KB · Views: 120

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It was hinted above, but I'll come right out :

The standard of Positive Outcome being bandied in this thread is too narrow . This is Maryland , the big fight is Defensive . If it weren't for the cumulative hard work of 2A groups , it would be NY ,.CA , and HI leftists dreaming of being like us , instead of the other way around .

But the tree that doesn't fall in the Forest usually isn't very memorable .

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I don't know any people that have made an impact in any aspect of life that "think" like the couple members here that say it is hard or impossible to be successful in Maryland about 2A issues . It may be tough , It may be frustrating but sometimes the things in life worth fighting for are just that .
    I can not figure out how people live a life with a can not do attitude , you can curl up in a fetal position or bend over a barrel and just take it . I am not that kind of person

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    This is Maryland , the big fight is Defensive.

This is the entire basis of my argument. That since the Supreme court will not take a 2A case that a change of tact to the offensive is required. Not that all other avenues are to be given up but changing from a full focus on suing every time the libs pass a gun control law. It becomes a wack-a-mole game and eventually you miss a mole and its over.

Why not an offensive possibility by running a candidate that has the interests of the people in Baltimore and pro-2A? I know the media has split the topic into two camps but if the reciprocity law draws in 8 lib senators and passes then anything is possible. And I don't see why 2A is a blue or red topic. Its been bastardized by CNN and the like. Especially when inner city folks march to protest the proposed gun control legislation and beat it down in one fell swoop. They didn't have to hold rallies in Annapolis every session, or read from the Constitution to the delegates to remind them, no costly banners, flags, or websites, etc... They stopped it dead in its tracks in one protest because they have total control over who is elected to run the state and the officials know it. That is the key to the future of MD.

Maybe I'm Pollyanna or unrealistic but I see no other direction to achieve massive advances in pro-2A goals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom