• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Legal ?

Friend of mine has a Taurus 357 6" barrel revolver that I'd like to shoot. He has no interest in going to the range with me but said I could borrow it.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    My understanding is that as long as you are over 21 and not prohibited from owning the handgun, it would be legal to borrow it. I think there is a thread on this somewhere in these forums.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Legal ?

Friend of mine has a Taurus 357 6" barrel revolver that I'd like to shoot. He has no interest in going to the range with me but said I could borrow it.

Do you have a HQL? If so, no problem. If not, then the issue is whether the prohibition on "receipt" and receive in 5-117.1 and 5-144 of Public Safety includes temporary receipt (borrowing). This issue is being litigated in MSI's HQL lawsuit.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Do you have a HQL? If so, no problem. If not, then the issue is whether the prohibition on "receipt" and receive in 5-117.1 and 5-144 of Public Safety includes temporary receipt (borrowing). This issue is being litigated in MSI's HQL lawsuit.

Yes, I have a HQL. Carry it in my wallet so it's always with me.

Question..... So currently you must have a hql to purchase a regulated firearm and also just to be in possession of one ?

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD

Question..... So currently you must have a hql to purchase a regulated firearm and also just to be in possession of one ?

Not to be in possession of one, but to borrow where the owner does not maintain control. This portion had much discussion when it came to people renting a firearm at a range and was determined that an HQL was only needed if the firearm left the building (renting for a hunting trip etc.).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But also distinctions between Rentals , and gratitous loan, to even further muddy things.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    This state sucks! Something as simple as borrowing a gun, by a perfectly good friend, must be scrutinized. I tire of the whole MD 2A sh**t.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

It is unclear what "receipt" means. You prove receipt by virtue of possession. If the receipt was permanent, then you must go through the 77R process on transfers of regulated firearms. FWIW, I never "loan" or "borrow" regulated firearms, just because of these types of issues. If the "loan" was actually a gift (in the mind of the prosecutor) (and thus permanent), a failure to go through the 77R process is quite criminal.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Just my 2c. If it were me, I'd want something in writing from the owner, saying I have permission to be in possession of the firearm. Just like I wouldn't walk onto private property without written permission.

IANAL. Maybe see if the owner would want to take a range trip? Avoid any/all legal issues.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Where it would get even more dicey is if there was an email or text to the effect "sure you can try before you buy." If you are thinking possibly of buying, or your friend is thinking of selling, a prosecutor could engage in a lot of monday-morning quarterbacking and say you intended to buy. After the fact, every single defendant will argue that the borrowing was temporary. Keep in mind, you may be innocent, but it may cost you a truckload of legal fees and a trial to establish it. Overall, I only let people shoot my stuff in my presence and vice versa.

A 6" 357 Taurus is just not worth it**. A Colt Python, another story. But whose going to let that out of their sight?

** How it ends: You want the 6" Smith and Wesson 686+ . Trust me. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom