• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Technically if you are taking advantage of a sale or deal (or the FFL says you are) you can purchase two regulated firearms at once (which are a handgun or the lower of a banned firearm. Because you can build a legal AR-15 from a lower, like an HBAR or a pistol, or build an AK pistol from an AK lower. Or maybe it is just that the named weapon was regulated, so it's lower is regulated. Maryland is dorked).

Catch us you have to wait 60 days to buy any more. Or get that designated collectors license. I just applied for mine finally. I got it for the future/hedge. Wife doesn't want me owning handguns now. She will likely relent some day. When she does, the FFL I like working with is nearly a 4hr round trip away and he will order/transfer anything I want at very reasonable prices. I do not want to be doing that shit every 30 days for months. I don't plan to buy a ton of guns, but I am really thinking a Ruger sr22, Armscor M4 .30sp or some kind of .357 and likely a Glock 17 or 19. There are other handguns I want, but that would likely keep me happy for a year plus.

Also a hedge against future legislative stupidity (MD or federal). I plan to buy another couple of AR-15 lowers at some point, but that'll likely (likely) cover all of the AR-15s configurations I'll ever want with what I already have. But screw it, I want the ability to run out and buy 10 at the drop of a hate if I am forced to.

You cannot buy the lower of a "banned" firearm. You can only buy a lower that can be built into something that is not a banned firearm, like an AR-15 pistol or an AK pistol. If the lower cannot be built into a pistol, but only a banned firearm, then you cannot buy the lower because the lower is considered the actual firearm. Only reason we can still buy AR and AK lowers is because they can be built into legal firearms, like an HBAR or pistol. Only reason we need to complete a Form 77r is because they can be built into pistols. If the AR lower could only be built into a HBAR, then no Form 77r would be needed.

As a side note, build them all into pistols before building them into rifles. Federal law specifies that if a gun is a rifle to begin with, it cannot become a pistol. However, if it is a pistol to begin with, it can be converted to a rifle, back to a pistol, back to a rifle, etc. It isn't just Maryland law that is dorked. Wait until we start talking about 922(r), just another beautifully stupid federal law that required me to buy several Made in the USA pieces for my Benelli M4 before I could modify it.

Not even relevant, but what the heck. One of the techs that my wife works with was going down her bucket list with my wife yesterday. On it, was getting a CCW. My wife laughed and told her that she would have to move out of state to get that. The tech wanted to know why, and my wife told her to talk to me the next time I am up there. The woman does not own a gun and has never shot a firearm, yet she wants her CCW. I could probably get a CCW, but I have no desire to carry. More likely to die from "friendly" fire while carrying than to be in a position where I really need the handgun. Plus, it just isn't worth all the headache in Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom