• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Although it goes both ways, just seeing how long it's been since democrats controlled the house makes me think republicans have the advantage.

Its only been about 4 years. That isnt a long time, the last time the democrats fully controlled the house they passed Obamacare. And that has everything to do with the political make up at the time, like how they blindly passed O'care.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Not to mention it's a well accepted fact that it favors republicans.

Where is this fact coming from? Just 4 years ago the democrats controlled both houses of congress and the POTUS. Only this past election did the republicans gain control of the Senate and 2010 that they took control of the House. This is hardly a "fact". The fact is that its relatively a toss up but currently leans democrat.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Gerrymandering usually favors republicans. Have you seen the districts for Austin Texas? Only liberal area in TX and split up 10 different ways.

Are you for real with that statement? Look at the locations where gerrymandering has taken place. Gerrymandering does in fact favor the democrats, due to how they draw the districts. Look at how MoCo effectively neutralized almost all of Western MD.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Gerrymandering usually favors republicans. Have you seen the districts for Austin Texas? Only liberal area in TX and split up 10 different ways.

How does Austin matter, when we are in MD?

Although it goes both ways, just seeing how long it's been since democrats controlled the house makes me think republicans have the advantage.

Think again.

Not to mention it's a well accepted fact that it favors republicans.

Read everything you have said and explain to me how you figure that is even possible. Personally, I think you need to open your eyes, realize you are in MD, and lay off the Kool-Aid. If you are a Democrat, then I am sincerely sorry.

On second thought you might be the Baron, with the way you are talking.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    Are you for real with that statement? Look at the locations where gerrymandering has taken place.
    that might actually be the point: where Democrats have control, they gerrymander in their favor; where Republicans have control, they do the same.

America’s most gerrymandered congressional districts
    4. Maryland and North Carolina are essentially tied for the honor of most-gerrymandered state.

With average gerrymander scores of about 88 out of a possible 100, Maryland and North Carolina are home to some of the ugliest districts in the nation among states with at least three Congressional districts. In fact, North Carolina is home to three out of the top 10 most-gerrymandered districts in the country. Maryland is proof that gerrymandering isn't just a Republican pastime, as the state's Democrats redrew those boundaries in 2012. The standout in that state is the 3rd Congressional district, which is the nation's second-most gerrymandered and home to Democratic congressman John Sarbanes.

5. Republicans drew Congressional boundaries in six of the 10 most-gerrymandered states.

In addition to North Carolina, Republicans drew district boundaries in Louisiana, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Alabama. Democrats drew districts in West Virginia and Illinois, in addition to Maryland. Boundaries in Kentucky were drawn up by that state's mixed legislature.

in Maryland we just have the "pleasure" to be getting screwed over by the gerrymandering.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    I think it's hillarious how the Dems changed the rules of the game in their favor and still lost. We picked up several seats in the general assembly plus the Governorship.

nothing hillarious about it. you still live in the bluest of blue states and despite the wins absolutely nothing is going to change relative to this state's position on gun rights.

Hogan is as full of shit on the subject as O'Malley was.

it's depressing

Mr H

Banana'd
    nothing hillarious about it. you still live in the bluest of blue states and despite the wins absolutely nothing is going to change relative to this state's position on gun rights.

it's depressing

I won't relitigate this, but progress was made in 2014 (and in the 2015 GA), despite having the deck stacked against us.

Anyone thinking otherwise is either intransigent, unaware, or willfully impatient.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County

it's depressing

You're comparing apples and oranges. Hogan may realize he may not get it changed, but is truly making an effort to get it changed. Owemalley was full of shit because he didn't want it to change, no matter what he may have said.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    You're comparing apples and oranges. Hogan may realize he may not get it changed, but is truly making an effort to get it changed. Owemalley was full of shit because he didn't want it to change, no matter what he may have said.

I think that's accurate. You don't get anywhere unless you try.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    The only way to fix this problem is to hand over the redrawing of district lines to a NON-PARTISAN entity.

That'd be a computer, programmed with the simplest of area-partitioning algorithms, fed only map data and population information. Politicians, being a bunch of control freaks, are unlikely to release control of the vote-determining boundaries.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011

Yea, you tripping?

Unknown_zpsreusl0op.jpeg

Image from wikipedia.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Igot....

This may be slightly outdated, but if you can prove to me that the Ds didn't create the 2d and 3d out of something completely selfish, arcane and evil, I'll eat a box of .22

Attachments

• 2002CongDistNoRoads.jpg
      2002CongDistNoRoads.jpg
      53.1 KB · Views: 290

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Igot....

This may be slightly outdated, but if you can prove to me that the Ds didn't create the 2d and 3d out of something completely selfish, arcane and evil, I'll eat a box of .22

That's the old map (pre-2010) the 6th district comes all the way down into MoCo.

Feb 28, 2013
    Igot....

:wtf:

Why the HELL am I sharin' a district with Howard county libturds?:shocking:

ETA: Never mind. Old map. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom