• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This is a thought I had in a different thread: "And here is something to consider everyone keeps hanging their hat on hogan for the ability to "redraw" the lines again after the next census. Well if this case isn't finalized by then what does he do? Does he moot the case by drawing them more fairly or take the chance and leave them be hoping to get a favorable ruling from the courts?"

If the case is still hanging at that point, any corrective action, taken by any Governor at that time, would moot the case, IMHO.

IANAL.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    If the case is still hanging at that point, any corrective action, taken by any Governor at that time, would moot the case, IMHO.

IANAL.

If the case is still hanging due to Frosh & co's machinations, there might be a case for obstruction of justice indictments, IMO.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

IANAL.

I think some guidance will be forth coming from SCOTUS in the foreseeable future:
    On June 19, 2017, SCOTUS took a federal partisan gerrymandering claim out of WI (and at the same time, postponed the trial court's order to draw new maps in the meantime). There are also pending partisan gerrymandering challenges to fed lines under fed law in MD and NC, state lines under fed law in NC, and fed lines under state law in PA. Congressional and state Senate lines in FL were already struck as unduly partisan under the state constitution.
    http://redistricting.lls.edu/

Here is a link to the Wisconsin case on SCOTUS BLOG:
    http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/gill-v-whitford/

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    Republicans need to back off the gerrymandering issue. If the courts impose redistricting nationwide, they stand to lose the most. I'll begrudgingly accept the Democrat's screwy districts in Maryland in exchange for the US Congress to stay R.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Republicans need to back off the gerrymandering issue. If the courts impose redistricting nationwide, they stand to lose the most. I'll begrudgingly accept the Democrat's screwy districts in Maryland in exchange for the US Congress to stay R.

This. Texas and Virginia have been going through this for years. Say goodbye to a pair of purple states.

I do want to see congressional districts drawn by the most compact and contiguous lines.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

The only way that would happen is if SCOTUS riders a ruling that would affect every conceivable reason for gerrymandering. That won't happen since the cases are brought one at a time, based on separate issues.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

I'll take my chances if the Supremes make a blanket ruling that all districts must be redrawn to make them compact, contiguous, and follow natural boundaries. Because it will shake up both houses a lot of seats will change and we will break the lifetime politician strangle hold. I also think since the liberals are concentrated in mostly urban areas they will run out of Democrats before they dilute the votes in all the areas they currently control.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    From today's MarylandReporter.com:
    DISTRICTING's 'NEFARIOUS ACTIVITY:' A panel of federal judges on Friday sided with Republicans challenging Maryland's electoral map, saying there is convincing evidence that the state's Democratic leaders intentionally drew voting boundaries to make it easier for their party to pick up another congressional seat. One judge described the politically motivated mapmaking as "nefarious activity," Ann Marimow and Josh Hicks of the Post report.

A three-judge U.S. District Court panel appears poised to stay a Republican congressional redistricting challenge in Maryland pending the U.S. Supreme Court's resolution of whether GOP lawmakers in Wisconsin drew legislative districts so contrary to the state's political breakdown that they violated the constitutional rights of Democratic voters, Steve Lash reports in the Daily Record.

DRIVE AGAINST GERRYMANDERING: Although the drive from Mount Washington in Baltimore to Hunt Valley in Baltimore County spanned only 13 miles, the travelers passed through four congressional districts, reports Carrie Wells for the Sun. On Sunday afternoon, members of the League of Women Voters, Common Cause and other groups stopped at four restaurants along the way to highlight what they characterized as Maryland's extreme gerrymandering, in which boundaries of districts are manipulated to favor a specific incumbent or political party.

Elbridge Gerry was born 273 years ago Monday, but Common Cause, the League of Women Voters and the Hogan administration don't want Maryland to forget the long-dead governor of Massachusetts, who gave his name to partisan drawing of legislative lines, Len Lazarick writes in MarylandReporter.com. The good government groups, joined by Lt. Gov. Boyd Rutherford, celebrated their second Gerrymander Meander Sunday with a tame version of a pub crawl that took them to the four restaurants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom